Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching

SteaminPete

Familiar Face
Good Day Everyone,
When stretching a hat,what is recommended to to apply
on the leather sweatband band to help it expand and
conform to the the new size.
SteaminPete

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SteaminPete said:
Good Day Everyone,
When stretching a hat,what is recommended to to apply
on the leather sweatband band to help it expand and
conform to the the new size.
SteaminPete
I USE

5006-2T.jpg

AND

Lexol-Conditioner.jpg

Rick Blaine

toobacat said:
Do you use the Shoe Stretch first, let it dry, then apply Lexol?

Depending on the condition of the band, if it is in good shape I might just use the shoe stretch until it is the right size & then lexol it after a few days. If it looks slightly more fragile maybe lexol the sweat, let it dry, use the shoe stretch & stretch the hat for several days or a week and then lexol it again a few days after it comes off the hat stretcher.
Do not neglect, by the way, to hit your felt with liberal amounts of steam (moving it constantly) while stretching to "loosen" the felt up & allow it to expand.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks indeed

Great info Rick, and good topic Steamin' Pete. Been meaning to ask about this myself. SO, are you just applying the products to the smooth, shiny side of the sweat band (not spraying, right, but wiping on carefully?) or are you turning the band over to get the compounds into the rough, absorbant side of the leather. If the latter, do you use something to keep staining from occuring inside the felt?...
Gene

Rick Blaine

HarpPlayerGene said:
Great info Rick, and good topic Steamin' Pete. Been meaning to ask about this myself. SO, are you just applying the products to the smooth, shiny side of the sweat band (not spraying, right, but wiping on carefully?) or are you turning the band over to get the compounds into the rough, absorbant side of the leather. If the latter, do you use something to keep staining from occuring inside the felt?...
Gene

I apply it to both sides & try to mask off the felt w/ a paper towel during aplication. Both seem to absorb PDQ so I haven't noticed a staining issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats