Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff in your PURSE

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
Comb that's small enough to fit into a back pocket (my fringe comb!), red lippy and retractable lip brush, umbrella, coin purse (which actually has a mirror because I think it's supposed to be for your lipstick!), card purse, grips and hair band in case (!) and phone. That's if I'm going out! During the week add in a book, diary and coupla pens. Nothing particulary vintage!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Depending on how fragile the item(s) I'm wearing might be, a tiny emergency sewing kit and/or pins in case of *vintage blow-out.* Where is Cary Grant when you need him to help you back out of a room after your 60+ year old seams decide they've had all the fun they can stand? :eek:

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Oh the sewing kit is a smart idea! I'll have to run out and grab one for my handbags. Thanks Decobelle for the idea.:)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Lipstick, gloves, a hanky ( I have a pretty one from the 1930's with my inital), gum, and some concealer, not vintage though :(

I don't really wear a lot of makeup anyway, generally if I have anything on it's just lipstick and a little foundation or concealer, if I happen to have a pimple or two.

A good idea for something a vintage lady might have is a hat pin, you never know when you are going to need one if you wear a lot of hats.

That vintage looking gum is a good idea

Folly

One of the Regulars
Decobelle said:
Depending on how fragile the item(s) I'm wearing might be, a tiny emergency sewing kit and/or pins in case of *vintage blow-out.* Where is Cary Grant when you need him to help you back out of a room after your 60+ year old seams decide they've had all the fun they can stand? :eek:

I have one from a Christmas cracker that I carry everywhere :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In addition to most of the items already mentioned, I also carry a small hairbrush -- comes in very handy if it's a windy day. An emery board is also essential -- I can't stand having a rough or jagged edge on my nails.

Grace

Vendor
Rice paper, for blotting oil. It's so much easier that carrying around a compact! And bobby pins, because it's inevitable that I'll lose some from my hair. Black liner, lotion (especially now that it's bitterly cold!) lip balm.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
Oh the sewing kit is a smart idea! I'll have to run out and grab one for my handbags. Thanks Decobelle for the idea.:)

Pick one up next time you're in a hotel bathroom. I have a bit of a collection - they're so compact and handy.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
My bag usually consists of lipstick, liner, eyelash curlers (my lashes are stick straight even with tonnes of mascara so I curl them regularly), MAC blot powder, cotton buds for smudged make-up, bobby pins, mini brush, mints, phone and a umbrella for the unpredictable British weather.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I always carry one of my vintage compacts filled with loose powder, at least two red lipsticks (because you never know which shade will do), a spare bobby pin or two, tissues, Advil (I get frequent migraines), and my calling (business really) cards in a metal case.

I second the violet gum and pastilles--the flavor is delightful.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I carry way too much stuff. My purses tend to be gigantic for day, medium for night. I have a timbuk2 messenger bag that I use for school because it is incredibly durable. I'd love a little vintage makeup case, though.

As far as essentials, here's my list: Red lipstick, pressed powder, eyeliner, small hand mirror, a hair elastic (just in case) as well as a hair clip and spare bobby pins, and eclipse mints (in the metal tin).

Other than that I've always got a book to read, my sketchbooks, my assignment books, my address/phone mini notebook, my mobile, and probably a knitting project.

Elaina

One Too Many
Nothing vintage...

Uh..let me dump my purse out here.

Bad Batz Maru wallet.
Hello Kitty Coupon Organizer.
Hello Kitty nail kit.
Origami good luck crane
Origami business/credit card holder with gift cards in them.
Origami Sewing kit (all the Origami is actually from WWII era books I got printed only in Japanese, made of good Washi paper. Doesn't match ANYTHING I have, but eh.)
Coin purse
Bad Batz Maru first aide pocket kit (means it's got bad batz maru badaids in it. Also has some Transformer boo boo strips, because the boy will not wear the others.)
Hello Kitty, Kerropi and Pochacco kleenex.
Lip gloss in a nuetral color.
Contact lens case (yeah, it's a HK one.)
Emergency solution.
Pochacco pill box.
And my .25 calibre handgun.

This is about my essentials. It's all small, so it'll fit. The rare occasions I use my art deco dance purse, my husband keeps my ID, and I keep cash in it.

I get all the HK stuff I never could get as a girl.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Thank YOU for starting this thread, Canadadoll! It's a really fun one, and I got a lot of good ideas from all the ladies. C. Howards is going to be amazed to see a sudden jump in sales of scented gum and lemon mints!

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I'm sorry but I don't carry a purse except when I don't have pockets. Then all I carry is my wallet, phone, and bobby pins. I don't wear make-up. Oh sometimes a pack of smokes if I'm going out for a few drinks. However, lately I have gotten two new purses. Nothing vintage but cool. One is black with red pinstriping on it, (my husband found for me) and a metal flake blue vinyl purse someone made (soon to arraive).

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Decobelle said:
Thank YOU for starting this thread, Canadadoll! It's a really fun one, and I got a lot of good ideas from all the ladies. C. Howards is going to be amazed to see a sudden jump in sales of scented gum and lemon mints!

Oh I know, they should be payin someone with all the publicity they're gettin here!lol

I've never had lemon mints or violet flavoured gum, but I am going to be on the look out for 'em.:)

SarahB how is the MAC blot powder? I've seen it around, but never tried it.

Hotrod Elf enjoy your new purses, they make a great accompanyment to any outfit.:)

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
Uh..let me dump my purse out here.

Bad Batz Maru wallet.
Hello Kitty Coupon Organizer.
Hello Kitty nail kit.
Origami good luck crane
Origami business/credit card holder with gift cards in them.
Origami Sewing kit (all the Origami is actually from WWII era books I got printed only in Japanese, made of good Washi paper. Doesn't match ANYTHING I have, but eh.)
Coin purse
Bad Batz Maru first aide pocket kit (means it's got bad batz maru badaids in it. Also has some Transformer boo boo strips, because the boy will not wear the others.)
Hello Kitty, Kerropi and Pochacco kleenex.
Lip gloss in a nuetral color.
Contact lens case (yeah, it's a HK one.)
Emergency solution.
Pochacco pill box.
And my .25 calibre handgun.

This is about my essentials. It's all small, so it'll fit. The rare occasions I use my art deco dance purse, my husband keeps my ID, and I keep cash in it.

I get all the HK stuff I never could get as a girl.

Ahhhhh... A girl after my Hello Kitty Heart!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
I love small purses. I have a lot of vintage but I also love coach and have a few wristlets too. I like the small purses because during the day they always end up in my work/school bag (Hello Kitty Messenger bag btw. yes, I am soooo professonal).

Never leave home without my:
MAC blotting powder (the best out there)
Some sort of lip gloss
Tweezers (cuz those little buggers don't show till I'm in the car)
Cell Phone
Rosary (I'm a good little Catholic girl)

Everything else depends on the day. I don't have vintage stuff in at all times but some items I use FREQUENTLY:
Hankies (especially going to the movies)
Calling Cards (I had some made from Business Cards at Office Depot)
A good luck charm, usually my Este Lauder Ladybug compact
and A "quarter" to call home in case someone got fresh/intoxicated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn