Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stupid thread etiquette question

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As I've said many times, my goal is to have enough money that I'm no longer called weird, but eccentric instead.
This is off topic, but you will appreciate it. Some years ago, the local newspaper was searching for the most regular tourists. (I live in a very popular week end break spot.) They found a couple who owned one of those big static trailers, it was sited on a cliff top area, overlooking the sea. The couple also owned a house in central England, about 170 miles away. The husband worked nights, he did a ten hour shift 4 nights a week. His wife worked part time, just Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Every Friday, she would meet her husband from work and while he slept, she would drive them to their seaside resort. There they spent every weekend until Monday lunchtime, when she would drive them home while he rested. They had been doing this for over thirty years.
The journalist interviewing them couldn't understand why they kept making the journey instead of living in one area or the other. The husband explained. "If we were one of those mega-rich types, with a house in central London, a New York apartment and a floating gin palace in Monaco, you wouldn't bat an eyelid. But because we have two modest homes within our budget, that's deemed eccentric.

Happy Birthday, Charlie!
You kept that quiet, happy birthday Charlie, and here's to many more.

scotchdrinker

New in Town
OK, another stupid question, I see in some places people posting +1'd. what the heck is the " ' " and the " d " for? Is this plural for I like too, or what? I guess being officially in the "senior" age group, I no longer understand the new cool lingo.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
I'm overly grateful for this forum. People with an obsession with hats or suits are hard to find, and maybe it's silly but I think the world of everyone in the lounge. Whether we have different opinions, disagreements, or something even more trivial like enjoying certain brands or styles of hats more than others, it's what makes us all individuals albeit with strong common interests.
I hope no one leaves the forum or has lingering negative feelings over anything that happens or is said here.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I hope no one leaves the forum or has lingering negative feelings over anything that happens or is said here.
I too love this forum, but I don't share your fears. I see it as a sign of "good health", that Moon opened this thread in the first place.

The fact, that a member opens a friendly-minded, humorous thread to air, share and reduce some irritating issues, is a very good sign to me. Even more so, when the thread clearly is received in a good mood with respect and exchange of lots of more humor.

A thread like this makes my faith in a long life for TFL even stronger. Whether or not we agree on the issue at hand, I believe we should be grateful, that the discussion is an option - and that it's an option, members feel like choosing.

My impression is, that there's always a strong will to clarify misunderstandings, even out disagreements and keep a friendly and respectful tone. So thanks to Moon for raising the issue - and for opening a very playful thread, it's been a pleasure to follow :)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up

I think most loungers are adult enough not to take either themselves or matters discussed on these pages too seriously but should tempers fray, they can go & sit in the kiddies bar next door until they've cooled down.:p

Bolero

A-List Customer
+1

I think most loungers are adult enough not to take either themselves or matters discussed on these pages too seriously but should tempers fray, they can go & sit in the kiddies bar next door until they've cooled down.:p

Miamibruno

One Too Many
This is the best thread I've read in a long time. I can't stop laughing. You guys are all awesome. Very few things garner the passion hats do. Don't ask me why. I don't know nothin' 'bout no hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner