Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stupid thread etiquette question

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I feel like the new "like" option should do away with the "+1" responses

it is quite possible that I spend far too much time here ... more like probable... but when I see that there is a new response to a thread and I go to read it to find "+1" it is slightly irritating

like I said ... this is stupid nitpicking nonsense ... but it did cross my mind

why not just "like" it ?

it is pretty rampant around here sometimes

being a moderator on another forum without a "like" option it still irritates me over there but I have more of a tolerance for it

everyone in chorus now.... "get a life moon!!!! why not start a thread talking about thread annoyance ... oh the irony "

I expect this thread to stay open for about 17 minutes ... so share your thoughts fast :)

40Cal

One Too Many
I feel like the new "like" option should do away with the "+1" responses

it is quite possible that I spend far too much time here ... more like probable... but when I see that there is a new response to a thread and I go to read it to find "+1" it is slightly irritating

like I said ... this is stupid nitpicking nonsense ... but it did cross my mind

why not just "like" it ?

it is pretty rampant around here sometimes

being a moderator on another forum without a "like" option it still irritates me over there but I have more of a tolerance for it

everyone in chorus now.... "get a life moon!!!! why not start a thread talking about thread annoyance ... oh the irony "

I expect this thread to stay open for about 17 minutes ... so share your thoughts fast :)
I almost gave you a +1 for this thread .

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Damn, moon. Now I'm on my way to make sure all my wind trolley cords are straight.

ha!!

the trolleys don't even bother me as much as this

I like to open a thread to read a little info or at the very least semi amusing banter, anecdotes , or a quick light hearted snarky comment

I do expect the +1s to increase now that this thread exists though

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
My problem with the "Like" button is that using it helps to bury the thread since it doesn't count as a post which is what keeps threads alive. "Like"-ing is also too Facebooky for my taste, I look to the Lounge for education not social media popularity or chatty purposes. Also not having a "Don't Like" button seems a bit un-American to me (he said cynically). Personally, I boycott the "Like" button, so please don't hate me (he said cynically again)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
My problem with the "Like" button is that using it helps to bury the thread since it doesn't count as a post which is what keeps threads alive. "Like"-ing is also too Facebooky for my taste, I look to the Lounge for education not social media popularity or chatty purposes. Also not having a "Don't Like" button seems a bit un-American to me (he said cynically). Personally, I boycott the "Like" button, so please don't hate me (he said cynically again)

so you would rather someone type +1 so that the thread stays afloat ?

that seems odd .... why not just keep typing "bump" then

I feel the "like" could and does do away with a lot of the cluttering nonsense like "+1"

just one morons opinion though

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
so you would rather someone type +1 so that the thread stays afloat ?

that seems odd .... why not just keep typing "bump" then

I feel the "like" could and does do away with a lot of the cluttering nonsense like "+1"

just one morons opinion though

I don't think "+1" clutters as much as some of the other way off topic replies that tend to build into pages here

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I don't think "+1" clutters as much as some of the other way off topic replies that tend to build into pages here

I agree and am guilty of that ... but off topics I think are sometimes interesting departures ... and they always revert back to topic

if you can find a forum where every thread stays strictly on topic I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I look to the Lounge for education not social media popularity or chatty purposes.

and with all due respect of course , I do not believe this for a second

otherwise you would not post pictures of yourself wearing different hats... at various hat shops.... out to dinner ... having drinks with other members ...

that is all fine and what the forum is for to me ... but lets not pretend you don't enjoy sharing social endeavors with folks who have common interest

plenty of education to enjoy of course ... tons .. and I love it

but if I did not enjoy the social engagement with some members here I would never visit uness seeking info ... I 'm thinking you feel the same

Boys, BOYS!!! Play nice! You guys are both GREAT; good folks abound here, (except for you-know-who...) and that's the way it is!!

We all have feelings. Isn't it generally best to keep less-than-positive judgments/comments to ourselves.? So, unless you judge a hat to be great, etc., let's not second guess each other's perspectives or opinions. That won't go anywhere good.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me..."

Moon, though I agree with you, I see Mike's point, as well. I don't usually +1 things for the same reason you don't. If I feel there is a comment to be made, I'll attempt to articulate it. But then, I'm narcissistic enough to think people want to read my writing! :)

As for departures from the topic, I think it has more to do with the thread. WHAYWT, Fedora's Afield, What Hat are you Waiting on Today, and the like are, in my mind, general discussion threads. WHAYWT is our "Hey, how's it going?" thread, and we catch up with each other, post about life (graduations, weddings, etc), and generally discuss things while we preen and strut in our hats.

A thread like School of Hard Knox or Mallory MADness should be kept closer to topic, though, IMHO.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon, though I agree with you, I see Mike's point, as well. I don't usually +1 things for the same reason you don't. If I feel there is a comment to be made, I'll attempt to articulate it. But then, I'm narcissistic enough to think people want to read my writing! :)

As for departures from the topic, I think it has more to do with the thread. WHAYWT, Fedora's Afield, What Hat are you Waiting on Today, and the like are, in my mind, general discussion threads. WHAYWT is our "Hey, how's it going?" thread, and we catch up with each other, post about life (graduations, weddings, etc), and generally discuss things while we preen and strut in our hats.

A thread like School of Hard Knox or Mallory MADness should be kept closer to topic, though, IMHO.

+1

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I like you Mike !

And since I'm now in a bitchy mood, what ever happened to the join date in our avatar section. I place a lot of respect to that info
Interesting

I'm filthy guilty , sorry .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner