Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stupidity Awards

"On Friday - at the World Stupidity Awards in Montreal , Canada, cast members from Survivor: All Stars - Rob Cesternino, Kathy O'Brien and Shii Ann Huang - gave the award for stupidest trend, which was trucker hats (baseball hats to us here in the US)."

I got this quote from a site that I look at once in a while. Is this true? Am I finally getting to be in a majority group? The judges are not exactly who I want to think like but I made the contention before they did. LOL
David, did you see this up there?
I love it when a plan comes together. LOL

Regards to all,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Trucker hats are a touch different from your normal ballcap. They're promotional products, essentially. Incredibly cheap caps with nylon mesh rear panels, and a vinyl-coated foam front panel. The bill is usually a cheap cardstock covered in foam-padded polyester cloth. The front panel is usually screen or pad printed with a company logo / advertisement.

They're popular with truckers, usually advertising the service that they drive for. The 'emo' crowd has picked them up as a fashion accessory.

Personally, I'd wear a ballcap, but it'd have to be very vintage looking, say, short-billed from the '30s and...heck, I don't even have a favorite team. Maybe I'd pick one that's no longer around.

Then again, a newsboy cap is far more dignified.

...are people finally coming to their senses?

NAAAAAAAH.

havershaw

Practically Family
They're really big among dirty indie-rock bands, too. Over half the bands I record either all wear them, or have a couple of guys who do.

yuck.

Butters

New in Town
Well, I figure i would share my 2 cents, as my age group tends to follow the trends no matter what. "emo" seems to favor the argyle vest and velour clothing type things. Much more "metro-sexual". And in genereal listen to music like belle and sebastian, and elliot smith, softer music. However what punk music considers "emo" is all of the rock you might hear on MTV. The trucker cap, has in general become just popular amongst that crowd, the Ashton kutcher people and such. I was at concert in southern CA recently called The Warp Tour. It was a mix of real punk music, and mostly the cookie cutter punk music that we hear today. And saw quiet a few tucker caps there, however what suprised me even more was the amount of fedoras i saw there. There were thousands of people there, so i obviosuly did not see them all, but i did see maybe 10 or so people wearing cheep vinyl and cloth fedoras. Some of them bright stripes and such. So to sum it all up. Trucker hats.. used to be worn by emo punk... now trucker hats seem to the popular image, so youll see just about anyone searching for a look wearing one.

Hey Butters,

That sounds like good news for us fedora fans. I wouldn't even mind if they started wearing tophats--just not the trucker hats. LOL Maybe the generation coming up will start to get the hint from all these new shows like What not to Wear and Queer Eye. LOL
Why is it that every time I see someone wearing a trucker hat it reminds me of Kenny's drunk, out-of-work dad from South Park? :D
Maybe there is hope on the horizon. I know; we could characterize the trucker hat as an "old man's hat" and turn the fashion cycle on its head. Younger guys would have to look at the fedora then. LOL

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Disclaimer: This is not meant to insult 6'8", 250 lb. truckers who hold a grudge and can hunt me down. LOL

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by jamespowers
[B...David, did you see this up there? ...[/B]

I didn't hear anything about it.

Butters, what's "emo"?

David

PS Wingnut's description is right on, from what I know. However, "up here" farmers also wear those hats...often with the names of equipment or feed suppliers screened on the front.

Butters

New in Town
emo.... as far as my understanding goes. The term originated to describe emotional music. After the hair bands, the grunge bands, and punk bands, i think people were just looking for something that was still rock, but soft and emotional as well. However, some people tend to refer to the 2 chord, high pitched singing, obligatory solo songs, that frequent MTV as emo as well. The only friends i have that consider themselves emo dont listen to that stuff though, and generally look down upon it. but they dont wear trucker hats.

"That sounds like good news for us fedora fans. I wouldn't even mind if they started wearing tophats"

I wouldn't be so sure about that, trends like this could just flood the market with cheap fedoras, and well... and interesting crowd wearing them. that could give the fedora a bad image. But yeah... anything is better than those trucker hats.

Originally posted by Butters
"That sounds like good news for us fedora fans. I wouldn't even mind if they started wearing tophats"

I wouldn't be so sure about that, trends like this could just flood the market with cheap fedoras, and well... and interesting crowd wearing them. that could give the fedora a bad image. But yeah... anything is better than those trucker hats.

You do have a point but they may start out with cheap hats and then move on to better hats as they get older and learn the difference. We just want them to think of fedora hats as their cancer preventing friends. :D
I know I may be one of Promethian faith here but he never gave up at every sunrise so I might as well have some hope. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Not the best choice for a hat but I will be honest I own a couple, being 19 years old, you can't escape it. I never wear them at all for some odd reason, lol, I love fedoras so what's the point of wearing anything else?

havershaw

Practically Family
Butters, you probably listen to some of the bands I've recorded. Actually, two or three played the Warped Tour I think you saw. What stage they played on, I wouldn't know, as they now have 15,000 stages...

Around here (Mesa, AZ) the emo kids wear trucker caps too, although I agree they're on the most rock side of emo. However (and I'm probably giving myself way too much credit here), I record/produce quite a few of those bands, and in the last year or so, I've seen more and more kids wearing fedoras...

...maybe I'm setting a trend? I know at least two kids at a show last weekend apologized to me for "ripping off your old school style" and asked if I was mad that they "borrowed your look."

Now if I could only get them to get rid of those fauxhawks...I mean, if you're going to have a mohawk, have a real mohawk. I can't handle "tourist" and "weekend" punks. If you want to be a punker, and have a mohawk, get yourself a razor and get to it.

Sorry. The record I just spent nineteen hours on has made me cranky. Wasn't so much the record, actually...just the band...

havershaw

Practically Family
Also, Butters, could you explain 'metro-sexual'? I've heard people use that term...and I dislike it enough that I usually ignore it and forget to ask what it means. Specifically, what I want to know is not just what it describes, but WHY that term was applied to that particular style.

Originally posted by havershaw
Also, Butters, could you explain 'metro-sexual'? I've heard people use that term...and I dislike it enough that I usually ignore it and forget to ask what it means. Specifically, what I want to know is not just what it describes, but WHY that term was applied to that particular style.

I hate the term as well. It drives me nuts. The term became used not long after that Queer Eye show. It just means a straight man that has the style and grooming of a gay man.
I find it sort of derogatory because it casts most "straights" as incapable of dressing themselves in clothes that match or even look good together. I suppose they think of us as characters from King of the Hill. :rolleyes:
When I look at kids coming out of the high schools today they may not be far off though. LOL Their clothes are ill-fitting, hair looks like they combed it with an egg beater and don't even get me started on style. :eek:

Regards to all,

J

Butters

New in Town
Yeah, James pretty much covered what it means. I think they use the term metro because they figure only people in metropolitan areas dress like that? I'm really not quite sure.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Yeah right! Like gay guys look good. They dress like peacocks.

00006f.jpg

de30zz_2.jpg

I wouldn't take my cues from gay guys on what to wear.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
IMHO

Before "coming out of the closet" became safe to do in daylight, I would be interested, and maybe we'd all be suprised, as to who really was gay in Hollywood.

Some of the best dressers, men, may have been in fact gay.

Who knows, and if I can use the term, who cares.

If you have style, and taste in clothes, it doesn't necessarily reflect on your sexuality.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Don we now our gay apparel? Well, from the Golden Age, there's Cesar Romero and Clifton Webb, both elegant dressers, both gay. And John Gielgud was a stylish dresser. George Sanders was also elegant, but he was only bisexual; so was Tyrone Power, though he looked better in period costume. Then there was Conrad Veidt, who by several accounts was gay only when drunk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara