Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Dress Gloves

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
What do you think of lining them with silk? Would this affect the "second skin" fit?

Max Flash said:
Looks perfect. I don't see an issue with capeskin - it is typically used for gloves and the like (the grain is retained, which is usually a good sign of a quality glove) and is more suitable than suede. Great price too.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Max Flash said:
Frankly, this is a load of rubbish. Morning dress does not include a frock coat - it is a strict combination of morning coat (cut-away, with tails), striped trousers and dove-grey or other waistcoat. A less formal version consists of coat, trousers and waistcoat made of the same blue or grey wool - this is traditionally limited to race-going attire, although it is increasingly worn to weddings. Tan gloves are always correct with morning dress (especially at a wedding) - grey and black may not be commented on but are not traditionally worn.

As for your bizarre suggestion that one should wear black leather gloves with black tie in the same way as one would wear white gloves with white tie - why on Earth would you wear gloves at a black tie evening event, other than to travel to or from said event (in which case, yes, you would wear black gloves as ideally you would be wearing a black or dark grey overcoat)?

Sir, your response was a "load of rubbish". The frock coat is the ancestor of the cut away coat and BOTH are "Morning Coats"! They are furthermore not to be made out of ANY blue material, but out of gray or black material. You do not even know or understand the history of formal wear and should not attempt therefore to speak to it. I know a great deal about clothing and the rules and etiquette which govern the wearing of clothes. My family have been in tailoring for over eight generations and I have studied deeply and been instructed in all facets of clothing and clothing etiquette since a very young age. You are categorically and patently wrong and rude! The colour of waist-coat to be worn with morning attire is white or off-white for white tie morning formal, dove gray for regular formal, or buff to canary yellow for racing and sporting events. In case you didn't know (you obviously do not), the cut-away coat is actually a full-skirted frock coat with the fronts of the skirts cut away and this was originally done to more easily and elegantly facilitate riding, a favourite morning activity of the British gentry. You should do research before you make rude and wrong-headed assertions sir!

Tan gloves are traditionally shown if you even cared to look! Look in any documentary source from the period! The illustrations consistently show tan or chamois gloves with morning wear, though usually with the more informal forms of it, white gloves are suitable for white tie when nothing which one can be expected to do will in any way dirty the gloves and waist-coat or tie, hence they are the most formal! Black gloves go with black tie as it is semi-formal or semi-dress and I use the British definitions here! You missed the entire intent of my commentary and extrapolated what I cannot fathom from it! I never said that one should wear black gloves AT a black tie event, merely that black gloves are worn TO such an event! You should read carefully and be less inflammatory. You sir are rude and stand corrected if you are capable of logically assessing and researching your comments and mine. For further support of my assertion regarding gloves, look at almost any issue of Esquire from the nineteen thirties or Men's Clothing and Fabrics in the 1890s by Roseann Ettinger, it is a Schiffer Book for Collectors publication.

White = Ultra formal; full dress or full formal; white tie

Black = Semi formal; half dress or semi formal; black tie

Brown = informal; undress, or informal; country wear or leisure-wear!

LOOK IT UP and don't be rude in future or attempt to speak authoritatively upon subjects which you are not fully informed upon! Succinctly; you are not an informed observer.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
is not a frock coat by definition a full skirted affair and a morning coat (Newmarket coat) a cut away affair?

so a morning coat is not a frock coat? From a purely visual perspective the morning coat looks like a descendent of european calvary jackets.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Alexi said:
is not a frock coat by definition a full skirted affair and a morning coat (Newmarket coat) a cut away affair?

so a morning coat is not a frock coat? From a purely visual perspective the morning coat looks like a descendent of european calvary jackets.

The one for of morning coat is called a "cut-away" coat because it is a cut-away frock coat. The coats are identical in every other way. The cut away coat was made to be worn for riding, hence the fronts of the skirting are cut away so that it falls more elegantly and comfortably when one is riding. Riding was a favourite morning activity of the British gentry.

Both cut away frock coats and regular full-skirted frock coats are morning coats.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
So this IS a thread about Suede Gloves, no?

I bought these at a thrift store some time back. How do they rate?

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Evan Everhart said:
The one for of morning coat is called a "cut-away" coat because it is a cut-away frock coat. The coats are identical in every other way. The cut away coat was made to be worn for riding, hence the fronts of the skirting are cut away so that it falls more elegantly and comfortably when one is riding. Riding was a favourite morning activity of the British gentry.

Both cut away frock coats and regular full-skirted frock coats are morning coats.

Ok I'm just curious where you are getting your terminology from then. Apparently the majority oh historians refer to just the "cut away coat" as a morning coat as it was used in the morning for riding? Could you provide a source for a frock coat being referred to as a morning coat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff