Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SUFFERING For Your STYLE

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh you guys are too sweet. I'm happy to know all of you! The gals I know that like vintage here in CA aren't really well suited for me... they may like to look old fashioned but, being old fashioned is out of the question. :rolleyes:

I'm an easy going guy but, most I meet don't understand why I do this vintage thing.

Well, I'm accepting resumes via PM, for those interested lol

Thanks again every one,

=WR=

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm just getting into vintage, but so far I don't find myself hampered at all, as far as I can tell. I don't wear my hair vintage, because I don't know how, and I'm still learning vintage makeup techniques.

I haven't had the "presumption of prude" as far as I know. But then I like the flirtier aspects of vintage. My eye is out for sun-dresses and cute heels. If a guy really needs a girl who'd walk down the street in shorts that say "juicy" on the butt, well, we're really not right for each other anyway.

magneto

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Like Rosie, I think dressing this way hinders the fellas. I never get looks or compliments from the boys in my age bracket. Older men, homeless men, all the time. [huh]

(nods head like one of those hula dolls) Yeeesss! What the *heck* is up with that? It's less than thrilling to hear how great you look from a man with no teeth, and when you meet a young fellow who looks at you like an alien because *he* just crawled out of the Salvation Army donation box and you have lipstick on and your blouse is both clean and ironed, etc. (Do other girls get this? Is it just a San Francisco thing?)

So Id say in more casual aspects of my life, the vintage dress has put some damper moments on me, but Id hope that wouldnt translate into my profesional life. THAT would be depressing being judged for dressing classically.

LD

I don't think my professional life has been hindered. Certainly all I hear from Personnel people is about how terrible other people dress at work nowadays. My impression, if you exert enough attention to dress classically, you look to the company like someone who will take the job seriously.

ortega76

Practically Family
I work in retail management and I have a uniform (polo and khaki pants). The only vintage people see are my hats (I usually wear a driver's cap or stingy fedora). I really get more grief for my tattoos than anything at work. My boss dislikes them but her boss thinks they are great. I have a thing for Japanese Traditional and American Old School-influenced stuff. I have only a few visible in short sleeves (upper arms) but I have a much more on my torso and shoulder.

HistWardrobe

Vendor
vintage lifestyle downsides?

My good "modern" clothes are classic styles, which when you analyse them, are broadly inspired by the styles of the 30s-50s. So, vintage and repro pieces mix and match with this look quite well.

A 30's dress can look quite modern / neutral, if you don't wear it with a vintage hat and shoes. I do the whole vintage thing when I'm dressing for fun and do modified vintage when I'm "dressing for success."

Being in the reenactors-for-film business, some production companies execs (albeit fewer every day) are used to thinking of reenactors sort of like the freak show and don't take us seriously. So, I'd never wear 100% vintage or period to pitch a job, but a vintage touch or two emphasizes that we are in touch with the living history hobby while also being fully-qualified film professionals, thereby reassring them and ultimately leading to better treatment, pay, etc for reenactor talent on camera.

I save full-scale period dressing for my leisure time. (or when in front of the camera, when an additional extra is needed and the crew starts jumping into the shots to fill out the numbers).

On the other hand, I've never found that being a time traveller constrains my social life. It might filter out guys that I wouldn't want to date anyway because we have nothing in common. Anybody who denigrates or laughs at those who prefer a vintage / period lifestyle (it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle, darn it!) are people I'm not going to get along with anyway.

So if my "duds" repel the dudes who are duds, GREAT! What a time saver!

When I first got involved in 19th century reenacting, it sort of tied together all the diverse hobbies I'd had my whole life. Finding a support network through a couple good online communities of like minded folks was great. (Whew, I'm not the only one!)

At the time, I noted that it felt not so much that I'd acquired a new hobby but more like I'd come out of the closet as a trans-centuried person.

The same applies to this place and my other favorite era, the 1920s-early 50s -- which is my way of paying tribute to, and feeling in touch with my wonderful grandparents (1906-1999 and 1910-1998), for this was their heyday

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Aren't there any vintage martyrs out there? I have no tales of woe to tell. My wife knew that I was strange already (and yet she still married me. a fellow gets lucky sometimes!:) )

Other than the occasional stare I don't have too much grief from looking out of time. At work it helps me since I'm the manager and need to look..well, managerial. People often assume that I'm the owner (I guess that could be negative...people who think we charge too much give me the evil eye...)

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
And then they find out that I'm a hodgepodge mix of FDR liberalism, Eisenhower conservatism, soft libertarianism, third-wave feminism, and old-fashioned personal morality -- who believes a woman's place is wherever she wants to be.

Lizzie,

You are a wise woman! :eusa_clap

Matt

Rosie

One Too Many
I kind of feel like Wild Root at times. I'm not as eloquent as Lizzie but, I'm a mixture of many things, I'm eclectic, not set in stone in any way but in many ways, I'm too old fashioned for most people I meet who are my age. Having certain beliefs and values leads people to believe you are a stick in the mud or boring and we all know this is certainly not the case. At times it is a very strange position that I find myself in but, I can only be true to myself and live in a way that I feel is right for me.

Shimmy Sally

jamespowers said:
What say the ladies about Root's quallities?

I say, he sounds like a catch and a half. But then, I always fall for the sweethearts. I like the clean-cut boys who all the other girls say are "too nice"
rather than the bad boys. With the exeption of gutbucket players...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes, people have to do some living to find out what good qualities are. Young people tend to look for a mate of a certain age, a particular look, hobbies in common--there's something to that, but it's a little superficial. Or worse, they marry whoever they're going out with when they feel it's time to get married. I think it's better find someone with similar values and manners that you're attracted to.

Root, your post makes me think of a line from Emerson: "Your goodness must have an edge, else it is naught."

It also makes me think you might appreciate the ladies of the modesty zone blog.

Shimmy Sally

That's a good point paisley. It’s hard to find someone who who shares my interests but is low-key and vanilla enough for me. So many flashy Attention Vampires out there. Plus, I keep meeting these unbearable closed-minded, sexist, racist, homophobic, bigots. I can’t tolerate that kind of nonsense.
The problem I run into lately is that I’m not very pretty anymore. Most men are very visual and shallow about that. I know, I know, that's not a tale of stylish suffering.

Wild Root

Gone Home
My last fling had some good qualities, we’re still friends but, she knew and I knew it wouldn’t work out. She was honest and humble, sweet and kind…. However, she had a very rocky past and I was too pure in her mind… she felt she’d corrupt me in time.

I’m open minded and easy going. I do have my beliefs and I stick to them. I’m the kind of guy who won’t judge others… I leave that job up to the “Man in charge”.

Do I feel that my taste is too strong? Well, maybe it is in some ways, but, I’ve seen many different styles and seen a few things, what I do is who I am, I love it and plan to continue on the vintage path. Will I do it alone? Maybe, yes, maybe no, who really knows?

=WR=

Wild Root said:
My last fling had some good qualities, we’re still friends but, she knew and I knew it wouldn’t work out. She was honest and humble, sweet and kind…. However, she had a very rocky past and I was too pure in her mind… she felt she’d corrupt me in time.

I’m open minded and easy going. I do have my beliefs and I stick to them. I’m the kind of guy who won’t judge others… I leave that job up to the “Man in charge”.

Do I feel that my taste is too strong? Well, maybe it is in some ways, but, I’ve seen many different styles and seen a few things, what I do is who I am, I love it and plan to continue on the vintage path. Will I do it alone? Maybe, yes, maybe no, who really knows?

=WR=

Gee, so you have convictions and stand by them. I doubt that is very corruptable. Some people these days. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24