Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions?

SheBear74

Practically Family
My son is going to be 15 on June 4th. He loves WW2 history, and has wanted a bomber jacket for years. We live in FL, lol so it's usually to hot. I was thinking that this year I might try to get him one since he is old enough now that he won't just grow right out of it. I need suggestions on what to look for though. I don't want to go to crazy on price, but want something he can hold on to.

Also if anyone has an suggestions on a nice gift related to WW2 please let me know. Thanks in advance!

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
A2's

You'll likely get a number of opinions on this one, so let me try to be as even-handed as possible.

First off, how accurate a replica is your son looking for? Accuracy ranges from mall-type "bomber" jackets with A2 inspiration, all the way up to Japanese or custom-made stitch for stitch reproductions. You might also get a sense of what he wants in terms of color, fit, etc...

My humble advice: look for an A2 that's nicely fitted made from decent materials. I would tend to avoid the "modern" contract a2's, as they look distinctly unlike the original USAAF patterns. So stay away from USWings, Gibson and Barnes, and most companies featuring "modern" cut jackets. I suggest a more fitted jacket for 2 reasons:

1) Fitted A2's look more like USAAF originals

2) Fitted leather jackets are more current, and to my eye, more flattering.

This in mind, I've heard good things about US Authentic, or www.flightjacket.com. I haven't had dealings with them personally, but their designs do look more fitted and more like original A2's. You might also try looking for a used Aero or Eastman Leather Clothing. Aero makes a top-notch jacket that will last your son many missions... Whether that's jumping a fence to catch the early bus, or chasing Luftwaffe over the channel.

Your son's a lucky kid!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You know, for a 15-year-old, I would take completely the opposite tack - don't spend too much, or get too concerned about going for authenticity.

Chances are that he's still going to outgrow something that fits correctly now in a few years. And to 99% of the world (that is, everybody but us!), a current-spec A-2 looks the same as a WWII A-2. (Plus, he may like having handwarmer and internal pockets.)

(Mind you, I have a US Authentic A-2 and think it's a splendid jacket - also a couple of Gibson & Barnes jackets - but spending that kind of money for something that's only going to fit well for a couple of years seems questionable... unless he has a younger sibling to pass it down to!)

A current-spec US Wings A-2 jacket might be just the thing - their $135 kids model, if the XL will still fit him, or maybe their $195 black label model in adult sizes.

http://www.uswings.com/ta2.asp

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I agree with the above. He likely will outgrow any jacket he has now. Buy a cheaper version now and maybe for his graduation spring for the more expensive jacket.

Also at his age, I would not have appreciated the difference in quality between a 200 and a 800 dollar jacket. I would have thought both were great!

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Being a 15 year old boy living in Florida who just got a couple bomber jackets, i believe i can help you. But i have to ask, is he a stickler for authenticity? or does he just want something in that style? I'd suggest maybe going for a mall jacket, i have one that was recently given to me by 442RCT and i love it. i would much rather have an aero or something better, but for what it is, its a good jacket.

Wolfe

SheBear74

Practically Family
Thank you all so much for all the info!!! I would say that he would really appreciate authenticity, but he has wanted one for so long that he would take anything at this point. I would like to get him something nice though. As far as fit, maybe I could get it just a bit big? I will check out the links posted, I see I am going to have to figure out the lingo lol A2, B3 etc :)

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Well, an A-2 is what most people think of when they think bomber jacket, 2 pockets with knit cuffs. A B-3 is a heavy sheepskin lined jacket.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
WolfeMan said:
Well, an A-2 is what most people think of when they think bomber jacket, 2 pockets with knit cuffs.

Gee, not me. Flight jacket, maybe, but I always think of bomber crews wearing the big, heavy, fleece-lined B3.

The A2 says fighter jockey to me. Or maybe B26s.

-Dave

SheBear74

Practically Family
David, I think the A2 is what he is looking for. I see what your saying about the bomber jackets being heavier (which would make sense).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Does it ever get cold enough in Florida for a B-3? That's a serious cold-weather coat!

In contrast, A-2s are just right for temps roughly in the 45-60(F) range.

(And a bit colder, when worn over good under-layers. But once it gets into the mid-60s and sun is shining, the A-2's leather, knit cuffs, and [on all but good repro versions] synthetic lining quickly seems too much.)

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
Gee, not me. Flight jacket, maybe, but I always think of bomber crews wearing the big, heavy, fleece-lined B3.

The A2 says fighter jockey to me. Or maybe B26s.

-Dave
I meant more the average person. For example, do a google shopping search for mens bomber jacket and see what you find.
Edit- It can get cold here, (to us Floridians) quite a few mornings this winter when i left the house it was in the low 20s

SheBear74

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
Does it ever get cold enough in Florida for a B-3? That's a serious cold-weather coat!

In contrast, A-2s are just right for temps roughly in the 45-60(F) range.

(And a bit colder, when worn over good under-layers. But once it gets into the mid-60s and sun is shining, the A-2's leather, knit cuffs, and [on all but good repro versions] synthetic lining quickly seems too much.)

That's my problem. We are in the sup-tropical part of FL so when it's cold here the most you need is a sweater or hoodie. He really wants one, and I am at a loss as to what to get him for his birthday.[huh] Like I said he really likes WW2 history so any other suggestions would be very welcomed. At the moment I am looking at the cloth A2 on the U.S. Wings site.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, I see what you mean about the popular use of the term "bomber jacket". I guess this is what happens when you come from two generations of Air Force.
:eusa_doh:
Sorry, carry on.

-Dave

SheBear74

Practically Family
WolfeMan said:
I meant more the average person. For example, do a google shopping search for mens bomber jacket and see what you find.
Edit- It can get cold here, (to us Floridians) quite a few mornings this winter when i left the house it was in the low 20s

This really was a strange winter wasn't it??? I am not a true Floridian, I am a Michigan transplant so cold here isn't really to bad. That being said you get spoiled quick lol. When the iguana's are falling out of trees you know it's cold in FL ;)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
WolfeMan said:
Well, an A-2 is what most people think of when they think bomber jacket, 2 pockets with knit cuffs.

That's the general meaning of 'bomber jacket' in the UK (short light jacket with elastic waist) — at least it was the last time I thought about it...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
SheBear74 said:
That's my problem. We are in the sup-tropical part of FL so when it's cold here the most you need is a sweater or hoodie. He really wants one, and I am at a loss as to what to get him for his birthday.[huh] Like I said he really likes WW2 history so any other suggestions would be very welcomed. At the moment I am looking at the cloth A2 on the U.S. Wings site.

If your son is really interested in true classics, I'd advise against the cloth A-2, as it's a modern jacket that wasn't ever issued by the miliary. (The modern-spec A-2 may not be exactly like the WWII jackets, but at least it's the descendant specifically designed to emulate it that's currently issued to Air Force personnel.)

However, there are reproductions of lighter jackets that were issued in WWII - though not necessarily to flyers. Like the M41 Army jacket:

http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/m1941fieldjackets.html

Or the famous Ike jacket:

http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/ikejackets.html

There are lots of choices in WWII repro clothing if you're looking beyond just flight jackets:

http://www.atthefront.com/us.html

At The Front is only one dealer specializing in this stuff, there are others...

pipvh

Practically Family
You can find repro M-421A jackets quite easily - they're a cloth flying jacket as used by the USN/Marine pilots in the Pacific, and can have squadron patches added, just like an A2, while still being authentic. Plus they're meant for a tropical climate...

As worn by the pilot at top right:

vf-17.jpg

What Price Glory makes one, so do Haley Aviation - http://www.haleyaviationenterprises.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=4 Buzz Rickson's do their usual Japanese super-authentic repro but it's a bit pricey.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Ive been thinking about saving up for an m-421, looks like a good jacket.
Also, i do get some wear out of my leather, but i'm in north central florida, so i don't know how the climate is down south.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
If your son is really interested in true classics, I'd advise against the cloth A-2, as it's a modern jacket that wasn't ever issued by the miliary. (The modern-spec A-2 may not be exactly like the WWII jackets, but at least it's the descendant specifically designed to emulate it that's currently issued to Air Force personnel.)

However, there are reproductions of lighter jackets that were issued in WWII - though not necessarily to flyers. Like the M41 Army jacket:

http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/m1941fieldjackets.html

Or the famous Ike jacket:

http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/ikejackets.html

There are lots of choices in WWII repro clothing if you're looking beyond just flight jackets:

http://www.atthefront.com/us.html

At The Front is only one dealer specializing in this stuff, there are others...

Thanks for that link! I let him look around the site, and that gave me a few good ideas :)

He did mention watches as well, that may be another idea, but I didn't see any on that site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy