Suit without a tie...

Discussion in 'Suits' started by avedwards, Mar 5, 2018.

1. avedwards

avedwards Call Me a Cab

I'm not averse to the look you were trying to convey but agree with you that it should be done with a lounge suit rather than a dinner jacket. In the last year I've grown quite fond of patterned shirts, which I find don't go well with ties but can be made to work with a dark suit for a dressed up casual look.

Or to put my views on this whole topic another way: I really like wearing suits and tailored jackets. It would be a shame to only be able to wear them on occasions when I want to wear a tie. As fond as I am of ties, I don't feel that a suit has to be reliant on one to look good.

Zoukatron likes this.
  2. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Ugh. I don't care who you are. It makes me wince. The world is coming to an end.

[​IMG]

The Necktie Guy and MondoFW like this.
  3. avedwards

avedwards Call Me a Cab

That's another poor example of suits without ties. All of them look like they just took off their ties, which is probably the case.

Hal likes this.
  4. Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall Practically Family

And another poor example of coats with egregious armholes as well.

5. Hal

Hal Practically Family

I'm sorry, but I stick to my view that a suit IS reliant on a tie in order to look good. With a patterned shirt, wear a plain-coloured tie.

6. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Rest assured, I certainly wouldn't come down on you, or anyone else for expressing an opinion, differing views make this forum the enjoyable place that it is. Nobody ever chastised me when I once owned up to disliking denim, there's not a pair of jeans or any other popular denim garment in my wardrobe.

So, you say that a jacket must be accompanied by a tie. I both agree and disagree, let me qualify that. If the shirt is a formal buttoned to the top style, then a tie would look better because wearing the shirt open neck creates an appearance of, couldn't care, rather than casual, and frankly, that is the attitude of most guys who think fussing over their appearance is not what men do. If, however, the shirt is designed with an open neck and the open part has a lapel appearance, then to me, that looks as good as a neck tie. It helps if the shirt is clearly a floral or other patterned casual type. Here's my point, and I'm setting myself up here. Same blazer, same hat, differing shirts, one with a tie, one without. By the way, what do you think of the 1920's Oxford Baggy pants that my wife made for me?
    hats 070.jpg hats 071.jpg

PeterB, homesicksteve and Zoukatron like this.
  7. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I'd undo another button.^

8. Hal

Hal Practically Family

I think most of us who have contributed to this thread agree with you - I certainly do.
    Yes, but why, in that case, wear any jacket? The sort of shirt you describe is a warm-weather item.

Zoukatron likes this.
  9. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Because I have standards.

10. Zoukatron

Zoukatron One of the Regulars

I think I see both sides to this point - I don't own any shirts specifically cut to be worn open collared, but if I did, and it wasn't too warm, I would certainly want to wear them with a jacket... Although I would still want to wear a shirt with a tie more. ;)

11. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

Yeah you don't need a tie. Or pants.

[​IMG]

12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Nice shoes, but do you know, if you wear a shirt come shorts onesie, a pocket hanky with it is so yesterday?

13. Hal

Hal Practically Family

I am sorry, but I am quite unable to see how adding a jacket to a tieless outfit raises the standard of dress. Is my perception defective?

14. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Who said anything about 'raises?' Standards are one's own personal guidelines, if you will. Why are some so quick to jump on others' opinions?

15. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Greetings All:
    Is there anything right with this picture or is it just me? Ok...the shoes match the bag...but??
    Be well. Bowen

16. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Well, the shirt matches the shorts.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  17. Stanley Doble

Maybe has a different outfit in the bag in case he has to go somewhere someone might see him.

What if he put on a pair of white pants and a striped tie? Would it be appropriate resort wear? Loud, but appropriate for a tropical vacation?

18. Stanley Doble

What about this dude? At least he is wearing a tie with his suit jacket.

[​IMG]

19. Hal

Hal Practically Family

In normal parlance the word "standards" is usually taken to mean levels of excellence, which was what I thought GHT meant.
    But if standards are indeed personal guidelines, my comment was certainly not justified.

20. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

If I was to say 'I have standards,' I would be talking about my own personal version of them. That's how I took GHT's statement. I could be wrong, though.

My nit with part of this discussion, however, is the way some opinions are expressed. It is one thing to say you don't favor something, but to put a label on it - 'horrifying' comes to mind - is just rude.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018