Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer hat: palm or felt?

Fedster

Familiar Face
Hi All,

I am wondering whether it is better to use a fine (Mexican or Ecuadorian) palm hat or a unlined felt hat (maybe with eyelets) in summer. Summer where I am is hot and sweaty and my Akubra Banjo Paterson is proving quite too hot. At the same time I'd like a hat that does not mind the rain because when it rains it rains by the bucket (and I do not carry an umbrella).

I am tempted by palm leaf hats because they seem to be reasonably robust and pliable/soft, though if they are as hot or hotter than felt I can just pull off the liner from the Banjo...

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I wear an Ecuadorian toquilla straw hat in the summer. But if I know it's going to pour I take along the Outback Trading Co. Kodiak oilskin hat.

GLB Pro

New in Town
Hi All,

I am wondering whether it is better to use a fine (Mexican or Ecuadorian) palm hat or a unlined felt hat (maybe with eyelets) in summer. Summer where I am is hot and sweaty and my Akubra Banjo Paterson is proving quite too hot. At the same time I'd like a hat that does not mind the rain because when it rains it rains by the bucket (and I do not carry an umbrella).

I am tempted by palm leaf hats because they seem to be reasonably robust and pliable/soft, though if they are as hot or hotter than felt I can just pull off the liner from the Banjo...

Where I live is summer all year round and I am still experimenting with different solutions. Evidently a panama is ideal for hot and humid conditions but if it rains it will turn into a limp rag. My experience is that rain, even very heavy tropical rain, will not destroy a panama, but it will soften it to the point where it is very vulnerable to mechanical damage.

Right now the best solution I have found is an artificial straw hat such as the Zephyr from Akubra - these are really the best of both worlds and look very much like natural material, at least from a distance...

When I was doing my national service we were issued poly/cotton caps and jungle hats which were functional and also dried relatively quickly once the rain stopped. Of course these are quite deficient in the style department, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do ;)

Sometimes (especially in the evenings) I will wear a felt hat and just put up with being a bit hot - the trade off in my opinion is worth it.

Regards,
Bruno

Wesslyn

Practically Family
In my opinion, nothing beats a good felt. I sweat pretty much regardless of what I'm wearing, anyway.
Besides, that's what the sweatband is there for, right?

addison

One of the Regulars
Outdoor Research has a couple of options if you will consider a nylon hat.

The OR SunShower is a well-vented sun hat that has has a breathable waterproof cover that stows away in a pocket of the hat. Another OR hat is the Ghost Rain Hat that has a large vent in front and a rain cover that is attached at the base of the back of the crown and comes up over the entire crown for rain protection.

OR products are made for hiking, backpacking and are very lightweight and packable if not as stylish as that Akubra you usually wear. ;)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It really is a problem in the Tropics, particularly because the storms are completely unpredictable. I always have a plastic bag in my shoulder bag if I'm wearing a straw. As far as felt goes, I'd think it depends on the thickness of the felt, and Akubras are on the very thick side. Plastics don't work for me at all (way too hot): the one I tried I gave away to an old guy in Greece. Palm leaf hats are relatively heavy and a bit warm, but not badly so, and you can immerse them in water without harming them in any way. I have a couple of the Sunbody Hats, and they've turned into my go-to hats. The 2 1/2" brim fedora with oak-colored straw is a serviceable hat, and a good buy at $50.00.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Nice to see someone from the UK complaining about a hot summer!
I wear felt hats all year.
My straw (shantung) is in a box below all others and I'm in a bit lazy mood to get it out.

Fedster

Familiar Face
Nice to see someone from the UK complaining about a hot summer!
I wear felt hats all year.
My straw (shantung) is in a box below all others and I'm in a bit lazy mood to get it out.

Well I spend a good amount of time in Northern Italy where it is hot and humid but it does rain hard in summer (and when it does and one is hiking caring for the hat is not as much as a concern as lighting strike...).

Fedster

Familiar Face
Thanks all for your replies! I am tempted by a cheapish Sunbody (as a test), and I am looking for sellers in Europe so I can minimise shipping and importing costs. I also removed the liner from the Banjo (it was well tattered by now) so that's a second test.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well I spend a good amount of time in Northern Italy where it is hot and humid but it does rain hard in summer (and when it does and one is hiking caring for the hat is not as much as a concern as lighting strike...).
I've been in the UK... the first it only rain once... it started when I arrived and ended 1 week later when I left.
The second time the same happened.
The 3rd time it had a bit more sun...

EstherWeis

Vendor
Well,
I'm in Belgium so our weather is sort of similar.
I wear straw for like a month. And I prefer parabuntal, but hard to come by and still expensive. ( the ones I own are modern produced ones)

I do pull out the summer felts more often than I do the straws though...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There's only three straws in my hat collection, (and only eight felts worthy of wear,) of the straws, one is a trilby style, stingy brim another is a Biltmore fedora and for cricket matches I have an Optimo. Having seen some stylish aerated straws on the What Hat thread, I'm really tempted to trial one such lid. Living in the UK and not having a brolly is like going out on The Med and not slathering on sun cream.
Have you ever been to a vintage fair or vintage event, you will find traders there selling all sorts of wares including hats. A good hat is a quality hat and quality hats are not cheap, so to find one at an affordable price, try the vintage fair route.
One of the straw hats aspect is it's such a good accoutrement for whatever you wear, smart and stylish. Just take a look at Loungers in the What Hat thread. You are right not to get it wet but then again it is a sun hat. I always have a tightly folded plastic bag in my pocket in which the hat will go if caught out by our changeable weather. My Biltmore from Chistys set me back a tidy sum, but it was worth every penny. Now I'm thinking of asking Esther to make me an aerated straw.
One final note James Smith, makes umbrellas that cost £300 or more. I bought an absolute beauty of their's, at a vintage event, at one of our heritage railways, for a bargain £20. It's a fine specimen and a great accessory, it's wooden spine means no lighting strike worries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR