Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Straw (Miller Hats), San FRancisco, --ADVICE

Alan F

New in Town
New to the forum==way cool site.

I have two Fall Fedoras but it is now Summer here in ALabama. I have quite the itch for a SUmmer Straw but less Panama and more pinch fedora (milan straw natural not so white maybe)--along the lines of these two hats--

http://www.millerhats.com/straw1c.htm

Other sites I should check?

Anyone have any experience with these or this company? I really don't see my self wearing everyday so this is about all I'd want to invest--

ALso I'll be in San Francisco in a few weeks with my wife and 3 daughters--they wanna shop some--I may have some time--is there a place there I could try on (mayeb buy) such a hat? I see lotsa referencees to the Bay area--(such hat places are sorely lacking here)

Thanks,
af

Havana

One of the Regulars
I have one of these hats - model 076, 2 5/8" in natural which is an off white color. I believe these hats are made in Canada by Biltmore and marketed by Miller under their own name. I can't swear to that though. If you like Milan straw, these are really great hats for the money. I get lots of compliments on mine everytime I wear it. Looks great with a summer suit or just a nice dress shirt. If anything happened to mine, I would definitely buy another one.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Havana's right, Miller hats are Biltmores. I have the Milan straw hat. I contacted Biltmore as to the ingredients of the hat and they responded that it was made of hemp fiber imported from China. Some say it's rolled rice paper. I don't know.

Alan F

New in Town
Tuff crowd--no I understand--

Optimo (seems I just checked have their web site under constuction but you can view old one--no real prices--wish I had known as I was in CHicago a few months ago!)

I still like the style of the Millers though I know not supreme quality--

All very interesting--
af

dopey

One of the Regulars
I have one of Panama Bob’s low-priced Montecristi’s. It is a great hat for the money, and a good summer hat alternative to what you are looking at (mine was cheaper, but I think he sells across a pretty wide range of prices). On the other hand, they are not at all like a Milan Straw hat in appearance. Even at the low end, I prefer the look of a Panama to a Milan straw, but that is a personal preference. I can see how Milan straw, coco fiber or some of the other options make a nice jaunty summer hat. At the high end though, there is simply no comparison. A high quality Panama is just more beautiful and elegant than any other summer option I am aware of.

One comment on Panama Bob’s hats. If you get the fully Ecuador-finished ones, ask about the sweats and ribbons. I am fairly certain that they make no attempt to match the quality on those items to what they would be like from an established U.S. or international hatter. What he is really selling is the hat itself, and on that he delivers unbeatable value and an honest product. His U.S. finished product is a different story, but I can’t comment on that firsthand, having only bought 1 very very very nice unfinished body and a lower priced Ecuador blocked hat.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As long as your family is shopping...

You could do a little Panama hat shopping while in
San Francisco. This could be a bit above your budget
(potentially significantly), but consider how much your
family is spending during the same period...

For a fascinating hat shopping experience, check out
Paul's Hat Works, the oldest continually operating hat
shop in San Francisco.

http://www.paulshatworks.com/

Nice and VERY nice Panamas.

Beyond that, while you may have seen a lot of references
to the SF Bay Area, we no longer have a source for great
vintage hats (with Lundberg and Fawcett gone) and I couldn't
recommend any of the shops selling new hats.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Alan,

You may try Peter's Bros site. They have a pinch front straw there that is called their Indy Straw. It is somewhat shaped like an Indy Hat but is quite moldable and easily reshapes to whatever you like. The breeze cuts right through this hat and thus keeps ones head quite cool. It has a leather sweat band and is hand made. Just a thought. I dig on mine and would reccomend it to anyone who lives in a warmer climate. :)

Dan

...but I will. :p Even the less expensive hats are better than the ones I can get around here for at least twice the money. The ribbon and sweatband on mine are fine for my use. I probably shouldn't have used it when I trimmed some huge hedges around the house but it sure kept all the falling stuff out of my eyes. ;) It dusted up fine after---good as new.
What a deal and no funny smells wafting around. :p

Regards to all,

J

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Cuenca Hat

I wont advertise for anyone either, I am still new to this site, BUT, it seems that I purchased a Cuenca Hat from PB last year (?-Time Flies) for around 30-40 dollars that was equal to any Ive seen at Stetson or on anyones head recently. Just a good wearing hat, if your horse eats it, you can get another. If you want the crown pinched, steam it and try some type of clip. Let it dry and voila, I think. Steam didnt hurt mine anyway. PB, do you still sell these Cuenca's with multiple hat bands, and leather sweat? Might be an option.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I have two Milan straw fedoras from Miller, and I think they're great. They are Biltmore bodies -- any hat with a "Canada Leather" cartouche stamped on the sweatband is a Biltmore, no matter what the label says. They aren't state-of-the-art hats, but I don't need a closet full of state-of-the-art hats any more than I need caviar for every meal or a Bentley to drive to the grocery store.

Alan F

New in Town
Ha-thanks Michael
I am gonna order one over holiday weekend---

The 076 I think--fit true to size--?
I am a smallish 7 1/4 best i can tell!
thanks.
af

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member