Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer style...how do you keep it when the heat kicks up?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Jeez Evan you're very specific. I still don't follow the summer/winter distinction. Where I live is hot, it hits 110 in summer but I wear the same clothing the whole year round. All I do is add or take away a coat. As Edward pointed out earlier, full cover and dark clothes have been worn in the middle eastern sun for centuries.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
For me, humidity is the killer.
In summer I wear khaki shorts, a white V-neck undershirt, and some kind of blue long-sleeved linen shirt (cuffs unbuttoned or turned up twice), with some canvas chukka boots and a Christys panama.
Or, a pair of light weight jeans, a T-shirt, the boots, and a straw Stetson.

Rick Morgan

New in Town
BAN LON!
4A9D28B3-78E4-4CB1-B4C3-292AA480E348-802-0000011666BB18B5_zps4bb8ab82.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
For me, humidity is the killer.
... a white V-neck undershirt, and some kind of blue long-sleeved linen shirt (cuffs unbuttoned or turned up twice),
Never liked the clingy-feeling of an undershirt, but definitely agree with the long-sleeved linen shirt (and frequently with the cuffs turned up twice). And the linen shirt is usually white.
It is amazing to my how much cooler I feel outside in summer in long sleeves rather than short sleeves.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Never liked the clingy-feeling of an undershirt, but definitely agree with the long-sleeved linen shirt (and frequently with the cuffs turned up twice). And the linen shirt is usually white.
It is amazing to my how much cooler I feel outside in summer in long sleeves rather than short sleeves.

I agree completely about the undershirt. I can't stand them, especially in heat. I should look into linen shirts, but it really honestly doesn't get hot or humid enough where I live to absolutely need it.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I was brought up in shorts, have always cycled and played rugby uptil a few years ago so shorts are my go to everyday knockabout summer wear so in the UK on the rare occasion it gets hot ie above 27c I'll more than likely be wearing shorts and T shirt if I'm knocking about, tailored shorts and short sleeved usually linen shirt if it's a more formal day, baggy cricket type trousers or chinos and blue blazer, white shirt worn over collar with cravat or occasionally with a collar and tie if I'm standing a summer vintage event........if in the Med on holiday then it will definitely be short sleeved shirt and shorts though if walking in the hills it will be long zip off cargo trousers and long sleeved linen trekking shirt plus hat....if going out to restaurants etc always long linen trousers or chinos and a long sleeved linen shirt as I just think it's bad form to be in shorts etc at night in a restaurant......always, always, always decent sunglasses as I have photo sensitive vision so wear them all year around if it's the lest bit bright.

I agree with Edward re desert peoples they know a thing or two about sun exposure and it's no surprise that Australia with it's predominantly Anglo Saxon population and in some cases old fashioned ideas about mad dogs and Englishmen that they have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world....if exposed to very high UV on a regular basis cover up.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I couldn't agree more about the sunglasses, esteban. It shocks me how infrequently people where sunglasses when studies prove that they are necessary even on relatively cloudy days. Heck, I even where them into stores often because of how overly bright stores are lit. I know that is overdoing it for most people, but really everyone should have sunglasses on until the sun goes down. Plus, they look cool. I only have two pairs, but they are both quite high end and are both polarized.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Edward re desert peoples they know a thing or two about sun exposure and it's no surprise that Australia with it's predominantly Anglo Saxon population and in some cases old fashioned ideas about mad dogs and Englishmen that they have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world....if exposed to very high UV on a regular basis cover up.

Yes, down here you don't see many people wearing hats in summer and there's lots of exposed skin. The problem isn't so much mad dogs and Englishman it's sun tans. Thanks to a cultural mythos backed by advertising most people here associate a tan with being a healthy Australian. Doesn't affect me much as I don't go outdoors unless I have to. In my view the outback is for British backpackers.

Edward

Bartender
One of the most damaging myths gonig, the idea that a tan is healthy. A doctor once confirmed to me that any sign of tanning whatever is a sign of skin damage. I don't care for suntans aesthetically, anyhow, but anyone who 'sun bathes' is just asking for trouble.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I get that an undershirt is uncomfortable when it's just plain hot, but with coming on for 90% humidity, I prefer an undershirt to stop my linen shirt being a sweat soaked rag.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The solution to the t-shirt problem is simply not to go outside if it's that hot and sticky. Miami in the summer is like Juno, Alaska in the winter: you stay inside as much as possible. The odd thing is that the tropics are often several degrees cooler than, say, New York, in July because of the rains and the breezes. The worst heat and humidity I've suffered through was in New Orleans in June.

jouster

New in Town
As a Scotsman, I'm quite familiar with garments that leave plenty of leg visible!

Regarding shorts, I really have just a couple of rules: that the shorts themselves be well made and attractive, and that I'm judicious in choosing a time and place to wear them. That means I try to be careful about when and where to subject other people to my less-than-perfect pins!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I get that an undershirt is uncomfortable when it's just plain hot, but with coming on for 90% humidity, I prefer an undershirt to stop my linen shirt being a sweat soaked rag.

If I lived with that much humidity, then I would probably feel the same way as you.

dnjan

One Too Many
I wear white linen shirts, which don't show the sweat an much as coloured shirts. And the linen seems to pass the sweat through for evaporation much quicker than the cotton undershirt. I just don't like carrying that wet cotton undershirt around.

Fortunately, I rarely visit places with 90% humidity anymore.
I put my time in while in grad school, and thankfully moved away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui