Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses that work well with a Fedora?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree with @Hurricane Jack and @Bamaboots--those sunglasses complement you without being absurdly oversized like a lot of "aviator" style sunglasses have become over the years.
aviators.jpg
That is true, each to their own of course, but I just find oversize sunglasses a distraction, annoyingly so.

1980’s vintage Bausch & Lomb Ray-Ban Shooters. All weather changeable blue/gray lenses with gold aviator frame.

IMG_3559.jpeg

IMG_8080.jpeg

Introduced c. 1940 the Shooter “bullet hole” size was 8mm to produce a 3mm nose bridge, as documented by vintage B&L ephemera. The purpose of such a small nose bridge was to bring the lenses closer together to protect the eyes from powder & metal particles when shooting firearms. Starting in the 1970’s as the structure of the human face began to expand a 10mm hole size became an option in addition to the 8mm standard. By 1998 when B&L sold the Ray-Ban name & manufacturing rights, the 10mm size had become the standard for a wider nose bridge, with the 8mm optional. Cable temples on shooters were always standard for a secure fit.

IMG_8088.jpeg

IMG_8078.jpeg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
1980’s vintage Bausch & Lomb Ray-Ban Shooters. All weather changeable blue/gray lenses with gold aviator frame.

View attachment 546112

View attachment 546114

Introduced c. 1940 the Shooter “bullet hole” size was 8mm to produce a 3mm nose bridge, as documented by vintage B&L ephemera. The purpose of such a small nose bridge was to bring the lenses closer together to protect the eyes from powder & metal particles when shooting firearms. Starting in the 1970’s as the structure of the human face began to expand a 10mm hole size became an option in addition to the 8mm standard. By 1998 when B&L sold the Ray-Ban name & manufacturing rights, the 10mm size had become the standard for a wider nose bridge, with the 8mm optional. Cable temples on shooters were always standard for a secure fit.

View attachment 546113

View attachment 546115
Ray-Ban aviators for me too, Jack.
Always has been, always will be.
B

US WWII Cobalt Blue Aviator sunglasses under an Optimo. These glasses were my dad’s found among his things after his passing. He was a WWII veteran drafted into the Navy upon turning 18 yrs of age during his senior yr of HS. He served on ship as a radioman & signalman in the Pacific theater. These were likely gov’t issue.

IMG_8191.jpeg

IMG_8192.jpeg

IMG_8194.jpeg

IMG_8184.jpeg

1980’s B&L Ray-Ban aviator Pilot’s from the Diamond Hard Survivor Series. Green/gold mirrored lenses in gold frames. Gannon 100X & cool enough for flannel the past couple of mornings.

IMG_8621.jpeg

IMG_8591.jpeg

IMG_8613.jpeg

The Diamond Hard Survivor Series lenses were surfaced with amorphous diamond making them 10 times more resistant to scratching than ordinary glass lenses.

IMG_8596.jpeg

IMG_8597.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Can you still buy those lenses, Jack?

1980’s B&L Ray-Ban aviator Pilot’s from the Diamond Hard Survivor Series. Green/gold mirrored lenses in gold frames. Gannon 100X & cool enough for flannel the past couple of mornings.

View attachment 552678
View attachment 552675
View attachment 552674

The Diamond Hard Survivor Series lenses were surfaced with amorphous diamond making them 10 times more resistant to scratching than ordinary glass lenses.

View attachment 552676
View attachment 552677

hambone71

Practically Family

View attachment 552678
View attachment 552675
View attachment 552674

View attachment 552676
View attachment 552677
Gannons? Ray-Bans?? And flannels??? YES YES YES!!!

Can you still buy those lenses, Jack?
I’m assuming you are asking for the scratch resistance diamond hardness? Bausch & Lomb sold the manufacturing rights & the Ray-Ban name to Luxottica in 1998. Luxottica owns lots of brands & are now the largest manufacturer of sunglasses in the world. I’m sure they have some series of scratch resistant lenses among their brands but I don’t know what they might be calling them. Mirror lenses are pretty common.

Bausch & Lomb moved into contact lenses & lens solution, Interocular lenses & eye surgery equipment.

If I assumed your question incorrectly Randy, let me know.

Edward

Bartender
Cathcart Heritage (formerly Simon James Cathcart / SJC) have just launched their first sunglasses. Two styles - one white, 1920s style pair, one tortoiseshell 1930s style.

30s:
1707242029894.png

20s:
1707242056062.png

As always, they ain't cheap - £125 a pair. To be fair, that's in line with the likes of RayBans and so on, who are probably working with much smaller unit costs given the size of their operations.

Unfortunately Cathcart haven't included any promo photos on their site with these worn with a fedora, though the torty ones I think we can extrapolate would go well when seen here with a wide cap. I rather fancy the earlier vibe of the white pair - though I'll likely waist and look at them if they go on a sale, as I'd most likely be looking to have them relensed with my prescription. Nice to see these coming out, though.

I'm still wearing this aviator style pair that I got in 2017 - my first, and so far only, pair of prescription sunglasses (though I have a fair few pairs of glasses with photochromic lenses that effectively double up as sunnies). Got these on a Specsavers twofer at a time when I didn't much fancy anything else in their regular glasses range, and was pleasantly surprised by how much use I've had out of them. Seen here on the 2023 Chap Flaneur Walk, last May:

1707242597510.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran