Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunset Blvd.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Are they resurrecting that one too????? Well, this shows ignorance verging upon the indecent.
Really.
Will it ever be an end to it??????????? lol

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
"Ah, Andrew Lloyd Webber. Everything he touches turns to tinsel."

Oh, very droll. I laughed aloud. What gets me is that guy is a knight. Apparently the Queen passes those honors out like party favors these days. Maybe I'm just missing something here, but I can't understand the big deal about "Cats!" I mean, come one! There's no plot. It's just a bunch of guys dressed up in goofy suits.

Anyway, as far as this particular remake goes, I'll just quote Betty Schaeffer in the original: "I just think pictures should say a little something."

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
They had a broadway show of this in Hollywood either last year or two years ago I believe. One night at the Pantages Theatre or Hollywood Bowl. I heard the advertisement on the radio. From what I heard it was pretty good

I wanted to see it too! Oh well

Doh!

One Too Many
This one actually doesn't bother me. If it were a straight, non-musical remake it'd be a different story. Kind of like the all-musical Producers film. You can't touch the original Gene Wilder version so I don't think the musical put a dent in its legacy.

Hopefully the same will be true of Sunset Blvd.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
"I had Erich Von Stroheim remove the locks from ALL my doors."

Madam is the greatest star of them all!

Anyway, I think Doh! makes a good point. And if this movie winds up being as goofy as it sounds like it will be, I think maybe it will just make the original look even better by comparison.

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
I can see the cast now---Ashton Kutcher, Naiomi Watts, Hulk Hogan and Julia Roberts. Can't wait to hear Hulk Hogan's German accent as he plays Von Stroeheim's character as Max. Most of all, would love to see Julia Roberts play the Norma Desmond part and saying the classic line: "I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

33140740_o.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
aliciatapp said:
Actually, Glenn Close as Norma Desmond would be very interesting

Alicia

http://www.AliciaTappDesigns.com
I agree.

Forget the musical aspect, it should be done as a straight film with a good script and cast. 97% of film viewers have never even seen Sunset Blvd. If a quarter of the people who see the remake are inspired to seek out the original, it is an improvement. TCM cannot get that many people to see Sunset Blvd for free on their channel.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This isn't a remake of the Gloria Swanson classic - this is a film version of the Broadway musical. Rumor from reliable sources is that both Meryl Streep and Glenn Close are out as Norma Desmond. The current leader for the role is...Bette Midler. I feel she's definitely talented and She can sing and act up a storm, but this isn't the role for her. My feeling is there's a fine line between playing the part as slightly-crazed but believable and sad or taking it just over the line into the realm of a cartoon character. If anything, given the choice, Midler doesn't usually pull back for subtlety on her roles, but instead leaps headlong at the over-the-top version of a character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart