Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders and a belt?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Yes, I know this has been discussed previously on the FL; but only in connection with dress attire. What about 'working' attire for outdoor and adventure?

I watched The Searchers last night and was intrigued to see that John Wayne wore suspenders and a belt in his role as Ethan Edwards.

searchers2.jpg

Now I realize many of you will say, "That'll be the day" to the notion of belt and suspenders; but I tried it today to work with my grandson cutting firewood. I must say it felt very 'secure' what with all the bending and lifting, and the belt provided a place to hang my hatchet. I'm going to try this combination the next time I go out in the field.

Wayne wore the belt and suspenders combo quite often in his western films. Here is a younger Wayne in Stagecoach:

18811328.jpg

So, what about it? Might you consider adding this combo to your Adventurer's Gear? See this thread.

Edward

Bartender
I note in that second picture, Wayne's belt is hanging very loose - seems like it's the braces holding the trousers up while the belt is there for some other reason - to hang tools from or whatever. I'd generally think "overkill", but I'd considering wearing both if I was using the braces to hold the trews up and needed a belt to attach something to. I guess in that case you could suggest that the belt would do as well alone, though the braces probably still have a function if you were attaching heavy items to the belt - stopping the additional weight from pulling the trousers lower.

MB5

One of the Regulars
The Sam Browne belt has a matching shoulder strap and some use two shoulder straps, so I don't think there is anything wrong with it if the weight on the belt would be defeating the purpose of a belt. I don't know about the illustration of Wayne with the braces, a belt and a "Gunslinger" belt. I suppose it would help keep the dust out of one's pants, and if one of them failed you would have a back-up.

MB5 said:
.. I don't think there is anything wrong with it if the weight on the belt would be defeating the purpose of a belt. ...

I would tend to agree here. If you work in an industry that requires a lot of gear, like a cable guy or whatever, okay, sure. But unless you're using the belt for some special utility (i.e., tools, packing heat, Bat-a-rangs, etc.), then I wouldn't recommend the look.

tonypaj

Practically Family
No way... A friend of mine defines freedom as no need for a belt, suspenders, socks, or a watch...

As I'm far from free, but not too insecure, it's suspenders or a belt... :)

tonypaj

EvenOdd

New in Town
tonypaj said:
No way... A friend of mine defines freedom as no need for a belt, suspenders, socks, or a watch...

As I'm far from free, but not too insecure, it's suspenders or a belt... :)

tonypaj

Sounds like a man is only free when he's asleep or at the beach. Both sound nice. :)

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
The original 1849 gold rush Levi Strauss 501's had metal buttons for suspenders and also had belt loops. That style seemed to continue for a long period of time, maybe though the 1920's or so. Seems like I recall most of the gold miner pictures I have seen there was no belt, only suspenders. That kind of work may have worn out a belt with all the movement required.

Of course, with denin bib over-alls, you don't need either suspenders or a belt. Here in rural Alabama, you see a good many men wearing unfaded over-alls, even young guys. And a few girls. Wonder if it's a new "in thing"?

Bill

A.R. McVintage

Bill Taylor said:
The original 1849 gold rush Levi Strauss 501's had metal buttons for suspenders and also had belt loops.

Bill

www.levistrauss.com says they first added belt loops in 1922.

Belt loops are typically incorrect for western wear, one of the smaller inaccuracies that grates on me to no end in older western films.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It was told, by my tailors father, who is also a tailor, in his nineties, who is also a son of a tailor... that suspenders are meant to hold our pants up. Its better for the fit and drape of the suit. A belt was introduced as decoration, much like cufflinks, or a collar bar. At some point in time the belt took over for holding your pants up and ever did quiet a good a job as suspenders. He also went on to point out tightening belts too tight accounted for over half the hernia's his clients experienced and recommends once you get over a cretin diameter you should switch for the good of your gut. Hope that helps.
Johnny

Dagwood said:
Col. Littleton sells a pair of suspenders that are made to be worn with jeans. The website has a picture of the suspenders together with a belt.

Col. Littleton also has a story accompanying said braces in his wholesale catalog. In it, he specifically addresses the belt/brace question, and cites Stagecoach as a source.

Granted, he does say no belt & braces with a suit. But his aren't for suits.

kools

Practically Family
I watched Kirk Douglas on "Ace In The Hole" (1951) the other night. In an opening scene, Douglas mocked his soon-to-be boss for wearing both suspenders & a belt. Douglas' character appeared in the next scene (and throughout the rest of the film) wearing the same.

image_5618086.jpg

der schneider

One of the Regulars
suspenders came back in the 1980's as a cool accessary. I learned to prefer a loose waisted trouser and a nice set of braces even with a gun.

I am not so trim these days and braces do a better job of holding up my trouser's I still use a belt for jeans but never both at the same time.

I am sure JW only did it because hollywood insisted

shortbow

Practically Family
I wear only suspenders most of the time, going back several years now, when I discovered that since I no longer have the body shape I did when I was twenty:eek:, suspenders are a lot more comfortable. But, as has been suggested, when I am carrying my whole kit of knife and pistol, I put the belt thru one belt loop on the off side and let the belt sag a bit with the weight. This is a nice substitute for a Sam Brown and works a charm.

dschonn

Familiar Face
My belt holds my pants up, but the belt loops hold my belt up. I don't really know what's happening down there. Who is the real hero?

Ah, Mitch Hedberg. So insightful. If he'd worn suspenders and a belt together, it wouldn't have been so difficult to determine where to bestow the glory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ