Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweatband maintenance

luvamaninahat

New in Town
My often fedora-clad friend has a problem with the sweatbands in most of his hats; they trap his perspiration and body oils, making his forehead break out. This doesn't happen with leather sweatbands, but the majority of his collection is adorned with only cloth-type bands. Anyone have a suggestion as to what he could apply to the sweatband to make it not irritate his skin, or an acceptable way to re-cover the sweatband to avoid this problem in the future? Thanks for any and all input!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Since it happens only with cloth sweatbands, and not leather, it sounds like he may be allergic to something in the fabric. (His sweat is the same, regardless of which hat he is wearing.)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I have ballcaps that make my head itch (I know, yuck) when I wear them all day. The only way to fix it is to give them a good washing. I think that bacteria (again, yuck) start living in there. I don't know the best way to clean a fabric band in a fedora since you probably don't want to wash the whole thing. Maybe spray it with Lysol, then Febreeze and let it dry in the sun?[huh]

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge !
I think JM has the best advice ..besides only wearing a leather sweat.:D
I have a few wool felts with the cloth band and several straws, so far I have had no problem but every so often I fold out the sweat and try to 'wash' it out and leave it to dry in a cool place so as no shrinking might occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou