Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweeney Todd

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I happened to stumble into the middle of the recent (1998) TV film of the story with Ben Kingsley - it was playing on the ION channel over the weekend. A totally different take on the story, set much earlier (it looked like about 1800), in which Sweeney and Lovett sleep together. It was SO wrong, and was a pretty cheesy, lame production too!

mike

Call Me a Cab
England's answer to Karloff & Lugosi!

deadpandiva said:
I didn't know about this til I saw it on IMDB today but it appears to be available on DVD. I think I'll check it out.

What the film lacks in technical innovations or high budgets, it makes up for in sheer energy that Slaughter brings to the role. He was billed as England's answer to Karloff & Lugosi. While in reality, he was more their answer to Lionel Atwill. A stage actor that loved playing the villain. He connected with it, and kept going back to it over and over again. He was a middle aged overweight madman who just loved killing and hurting people. Other great performances of his are in the Face at the Widow, Murder in the Red Barn & It's Never Too Late to Mend just to name a few. Mind you, these are all barnstorming melodramas that he took out on the road through the UK and performed live. They could seem a bit dated, but it's his personality that I've always enjoyed.

mike

Call Me a Cab
It bugged me Tim Burton ripped off the shot from Svengali where the camera pulls out from a close up on his face and through a window and out into a wide city shot.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
mike said:
It bugged me Tim Burton ripped off the shot from Svengali where the camera pulls out from a close up on his face and through a window and out into a wide city shot.

Why would you say ripped off, instead of paid tribute to Svengali? I doubt Burton would be so crass to rip anyone off...;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I agree, homage is more like it. (That is, for the 1% of today's audience that even knows about the old Svengali.)

I got my daughter the coffeetable book about the film, and in the text I was really impressed to see all the references by the creative team to the Universal horror films, Lon Chaney silents, German Expressonist films like Caligari and M, and (for their gothic panache and florid use of red blood) the later Hammer and Amicus films. It seems that director Burton, screenwriter Logan, production designer Feretti, and even Stephen Sondheim himself are all major fans of old-time horror flicks, and it was the shorthand they used while working out the movie's look and storytelling approach. They very much envisioned it as a classic horror film told with music, vs. a musical melodrama or an operetta.

mike

Call Me a Cab
sweetfrancaise said:
Why would you say ripped off, instead of paid tribute to Svengali? I doubt Burton would be so crass to rip anyone off...;)

Where would you say the line is between tribute and rip off though? We already live in a period of time that is so severely self aware that it's creatively paralyzed. Who needs an homage from a director that is perhaps 10 years past being a really interesting artist? I'd much prefer new and fresh ideas. I grew up with Beetlejuice but Planet of the Apes just broke my heart and I haven't gotten over it yet haha

I feel like he reached a point where his idea train stopped, and there he sits. The same could be said about the Cramps' albums through the 90's. Aspects of what made them brilliant but nothing new, no one is stirring the pot.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
mike said:
Where would you say the line is between tribute and rip off though? We already live in a period of time that is so severely self aware that it's creatively paralyzed. Who needs an homage from a director that is perhaps 10 years past being a really interesting artist? I'd much prefer new and fresh ideas. I grew up with Beetlejuice but Planet of the Apes just broke my heart and I haven't gotten over it yet haha

I feel like he reached a point where his idea train stopped, and there he sits. The same could be said about the Cramps' albums through the 90's. Aspects of what made them brilliant but nothing new, no one is stirring the pot.

Well, I never did see Planet of the Apes, so I can't judge on that! It did look horrendous, though.

Anyway, I don't think there is anything like an original idea. It all stems from, or is inspired by, something. [huh] I haven't seen anything quite like Sweeney Todd before, though I could tell how much he paid tribute to what came before. And he knew that was exactly what he was doing in this film, he saw the potential in the musical. His next project, a claymation of Alice in Wonderland may prove to be the breaking point, though. If it's anything like the disappointment of Corpse Bride (which I liked, I just wasn't impressed with), maybe Burton has reached his peak.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I saw this tonight and I thought it was great! I have to admit at first the singing got on my nerves a little bit but that quickly passed. The trailers over here do not feature any singing scenes because they feared that it would put people off, and I noticed several people left the cinema after about 20 minutes. Anyway, Johnny Depp was absolutely brilliant and I thought Sacha Baron Cohen was perfect in his role too. Helena Bonham Carter seemed to fit the character of Mrs Lovett well and like everybody else I adored the beach scenes. These scenes were so typical of Burton's style and I loved the contrast of the bright rich colours, as well as Depp who was hilarious. The costumes were gorgeous and the overall visuals of the film were spot on.

Oh and I have a small crush on Mr Depp now :eek: I thought he looked so good with that crazy hair, pale skin, dark eyes and angry expression. I don't find him attractive normally or in any other of his films so I guess that says something about my taste!

todd10.jpg

Yummy!

Edward

Bartender
Saw it last weekend when it finally went on full UK release - I adored it. The look of it is just beautiful (I love Depp's wardrobe, I want it all). I especially enjoyed the darkness of it all, and the contraqst between that and the brightness of the flashback / dream sequences. Certainly a gothic, stylised take on Dickensian London, but perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the place. An awful lot more believable than the "London" protrayed in pretty much any other musical - or most films from the 60s. your mielage may vary, of course - I idn't live through either time period. ;)

I went in not knowing the story at all bar the obvious meat pies bit, so the twist was totally new to me and I didn't spot it. I gather on stage it's considerably more obvious. It'll be interesting to see it again knowing that - I suspect it won't affect enjoyment (c/f Shyamalan's stuff which loses a lot of its value once the ubiquitous twist is gone), but rather make it all the more tragic. I enjoyed the downbeat ending - I'm not one that really feels the need for a happy ending in everything - indeed, often I feel cheated by a nice neat happy ending being shoe-horned in where it really doesn't (in my opinion) fit. The paradigm example here, of course, being what they did to Little Shop of Horrors after the preview audiences complained about the ending. Talk about the emasculation of artistic vision!

Depp's hair is superb. I'd just adore to have hair like that.... I always wanted a skunk stripe, but alas I lost the hair before I had the opportunity to do it properly (I used to powder one in for a while, but it really wasn't the same...).

Pink Dahlia said:
I just watched an lil bit about Sweeney on the official website. Sondheim said that the story of Todd began in th 1840s. Hmm...

I'd have said - at a complete guess - we were looking at the 1860s, maybe early 1870s. Some much more knowledgeable than me have confirmed so above. As I recall, there's some reference in the dialogue to Todd having been gone from London for 25(?) years or thereabouts, which given a start date of 1840 would place it in 1865....

ETA: Sacha Baren Cohen is definitely a tall man; perhaps th costume looks short due to the cut of the trousers (aren't they knicker bockers? Might that not give the illusion of the whole being shorter than it is on?).

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Edward said:
ETA: Sacha Baren Cohen is definitely a tall man; perhaps th costume looks short due to the cut of the trousers (aren't they knicker bockers? Might that not give the illusion of the whole being shorter than it is on?).

Ah, it's lovely having you around. It very probably could be why the costume looked small!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Saw it, loved it. I like the fact that it had that theatre feel to it instead of a reality based movie. I think they kept it somewhat true to the play. The blood had the consistancy of shaken up tempra paint, sort of like the overly vibrant blood in the old Hammer Studios horror films.
The music I found rather enjoyable and it moved along at a good clip without stalling too long. Rather fun all the way around.

How long did it take any of you to figure our that the old woman in the beginning was Sweeney's wife? I figured it from the moment she begged off of Anthony outside of the Judge's house. So, in some elements it was a tad predictable but enjoyable nonetheless.

Cheers!

Dan

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I saw it again and I loved it even more the second time round! It seems you either love or hate this film. Some of my friends who have seen it really didn't like it. One found it boring and actually fell asleep!

I will repeat myself by saying that I think the casting is absolutely spot on for this film. Depp portrays Todd's tortured soul brilliantly and who else could have played Mrs Lovett, Pirelli, Beadle? The composition of some shots are truly beautiful - 'My Friends', 'By The Sea' and the last scene come to mind - and the songs are amazing. I apologise in advance for sounding like a 14 year old fangirl but Johnny Depp is just so incredibly handsome in this film.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Lauren said:
The costumes are from the late 1860's to early 1870's (the scene on the pier in the dream sequence were abt 1872), looking from the background, who is definately more period than the main actors with the exception of Johanna. I adored all the costumes. I really liked Mrs. Lovett's costumes but they were fantastical gothic concotions rather than period pieces. No one wore corsets on the outside of their clothing. Except maybe stage actresses. The flashback in the beginning of the movie was from the 1840's, and I adored the dress his wife wore!

Really great movie. Really great visually. Took me a little while to get into the singing because I kept seeing Depp as Jack Sparrow. Hehe. But I really liked it overall.

It was way too gorey for me. I dug my head many times into Matt's chest to avoid seeing the splattering blood. It didn't look real but it was gross nonetheless.

The dream sequence was my favorite. I want all the dresses on the pier. And the cute little hat Pink Dahlia mentioned.

Here's some costume shots from Costumers Guide:
6.jpg

3.jpg

0.jpg

b_16230.jpg

sweeneytr01_0843.jpg

7.jpg

sweeneytr01_0187.jpg

The costume designer said that she dates it from 1830 to 1865. There's a brief 3 minute video on YouTube about the costumes which you may be interested in. With regards to the make-up, apparently Tim Burton said to the MUA that he just wanted a silent movie star look, hence the dark eyes and pale skin. That whole look is Burton's homage to the old horror films, such as the 'Bride Of Frankenstein' streak in Todd's hair.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I haven't seen this but now want to, after these recommendations. I walk down Fleet Street nearly every day, and even though I know this is all sets, I'm sure it will make it marginally more exciting!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
How long did it take any of you to figure our that the old woman in the beginning was Sweeney's wife? I figured it from the moment she begged off of Anthony outside of the Judge's house. So, in some elements it was a tad predictable but enjoyable nonetheless.

Cheers!

Dan

i have to admit, i didn't figure it out till they revealed it! of course, thinking back it seemed obvious.

i emailed the company that owns all the historic $3 beer-and-pizza theaters in portland, and they WILL be showing ST! but not for awhile. i want to see it a few more times!

Antje

One Too Many
at last i could see sweeney here in the cinema's here in holland
after they rescedueld the release date, so i went this afternoon
i loved loved loved the movie, Depp sings not so bad after al.
I was totaly in love with al the costumes,

burton and depp make a great couple of creating fab movies,
i must say after the pirate movies (with were fun but not my altime favorites)
this was a real great movie starring johnny depp,

and ofcourse i must not forget helena bonham carter, she is absolutely a great miss lovett

i had a great time wathing this movie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran