Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swing Coats

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Morning ladies - I have a quick question I hope you can help me with about the sizing of swing coats. I have my eye on a beautiful coat and I'm wondering if ladies wore them slightly larger to allow for them to wear suits etc. underneath or was it just the style of coat that would allow you to do so. I have measured the shoulder width and it's around an inch bigger than a coat I already have - the bust is a good few inches bigger on this coat I have my eye on but I wonder if it wouldn't make too much difference once it fits on the shoulders. I was watching In a Lonely Place last night and noted that Gloria Grahame's swing coat had a lot of fabric in it.

Any advice would be very welcome! ;)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I assume it's for both, i.e to allow for a suit and also the style. I nipped upstairs with a tape measure and my swing coat is a few inches bigger across the shoulders than my regular single breasted winter coat, also significantly larger across the bust, but my swing coat has almost raglan style arms and is very drape-y if that makes sense, sorry i'm rubbish at describing these things. We had a nice forties swing jacket at work which my friend snaffled, my pal is a uk 14 and it fitted her a treat, but it also looked great on me and i'm a uk10. (She pulled rank and ran off home with it, prek of being the boss i guess)!!

I think the general style of the coats means they have more fabric and are more voluminous than other more fitted styles of coat.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Hey Miss Sofia - thank you so much for this! I completely get what you are saying about the size and style of your coat - it sounds very similar to the one I am looking at at the moment. I agree that this kind of coat suits pretty much every size due to the cut and style - I think once the shoulders fit well that's half the battle. One more quick question - the lining has some spots on it (not that this bothers me) - any ideas what might have caused this? The rest of the coat is in perfect condition:

il_570xN_229775289.jpg

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have no idea - strange (but lucky) it's on the lining and not the outside. Could it be scent or bleach? Maybe someone laid it over a chair or something at a party or restaurant, inside out, to protect it and something got spilled on it, that's my conspiracy theory anyway. I have seen people turning nice coats lining side out when they put them over a chair in a restaurant or wherever before.

Actually i think this thread bought me luck today! My girlfriend who lives a few doors up from me bought me a bag of bits she had cleared out from home. She thought they would be no good for me but gave me first dibs. What do you know - the first piece was a stunning 50's black wool swing coat with mock astrakhan cuffs and shawl collar! It fits and i love it! It was her mother in laws and is made by F.Collard Ltd London. I needed a black coat for this winter, so i'm chuffed to bits. I also snaffled a lovely black faux fur swing coat as well, but it's enormous, so i'm selling it for her in the shop. Happy days!

Can't wait to see your coat - i'm sure it's a gem, knowing your penchant for lovely things!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Aw - thanks Miss Sofia! And congratulations on your new jacket - it sounds divine - do post a picture when you get a chance - I'd love to see it!

Yes, the marks are only on the lining which is very fortunate and apart from that the coat is in incredible condition so I've decided to go for it. I've often turned my coat inside out in bars or restaurants - just to be on the safe side - a nice coat covered in red wine or whatever could be a complete disaster!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I could be totally wrong, but maybe the spots are mold? My mother has jackets that did that, and she has no idea why the inside along is moldy but the outside looks fine. My mother thinks that she might have put her jackets away in the summer, and they were packed so dense in the closet that the outsides dried out, but the inside stayed humid, It will *probably* wash out. It washed out of my mom's clothes. (My mother lives in a very "damp and humid" house, so many things mold that wouldn't normally.)

I'd get the jacket a bit larger to go over suits. It should still fit fine over a non-suit (my "overcoats" fit fine without a suit on underneath). I think it's the style to be a bit large. Please post picks when you get it. :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato - no worries at all - I was only thinking after I wrote that whether you meant my coat or Miss Sofia's! I hope you find your swing coat soon - no doubt Miss S will find you something very lovely.

Sheeplady - I think you could be right - it could be mould on the lining - I'll get the coat cleaned anyway and I'll be sure to post pictures once it's mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda