Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swing! New Orleans

Bobbysoxer

New in Town
It's been a couple of years and a couple of addresses since I last posted, I'm playing catch-up now, re-remembering faces and names. Wish me luck ;)

I have a question for the Lounge. I'm going to be moving to New Orleans in the near future. Anyone from the area here? What's the swing dancing scene like down there these days? All of the information I have found online seems to be about a year old, and with a dance scene a lot can change in a matter of months. Do the locals dance East or West coast? I'd like to know what to be prepared for...

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
NOLA is a town I know pretty well. I don't recall a Swing Dance crowd, though there are lots of 'Swingers' there...ahem ;)

I haven't been there as much since Katrina, as business came to a standstill there for me, and several of my clients relocated to Houston. However, in my return trips since the storm, the musicians have returned, and I am pleased to say that a good portion of the music scene has returned.

If you get a chance, hit the clubs on Frenchmen Street. This is outside the French Qtr. My favorite performer there is Charmaine Neville who performs at Snug Harbor. Her father and uncles sometime show up to play as well.

M8

P.S. My favorite eateries are back in operation too.

Bobbysoxer

New in Town
Thank you both muchly! I spent a couple of days in the Quarter mid-February, and was tickled with the street musicians, but a little suprised that there weren't and Lindy-bombers. I'll have to see what I can do about that;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart