Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sword and Sorcery Movies from the 80's

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
Excalibur, with the magnificent Helen Mirren as Morgan le Fay, and Nicol Williamson as Merlin.
Wasn't Dragonslayer Ralph Richardson's last role? (No, it wasn't, Dan.) Great film, anyway.
Clash of the Titans doesn't quite fit the category, but it's close.
I totally forgot these three. Nice grouping dhermann.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Panache said:
I don't think LadyHawke quite counts as Sword and Sorcery, but it's a wonderful film (though I dislike most of the soundtrack)

Cheers

Jamie

Um, a Knight and a Maiden under a curse by an evil Bishop who used black magic?

Um, yeah it does! lol

LD

All Sinbad movies!

All of those Harryhausen movies about Sinbad the Sailor!

Starting with "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" these are really cool sword and sorcery movies with the trademark stop action animation of Harryhausen.
The other two films are:
"The Golden Voyage of Sinbad"
"Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger"

This came to mind so we can throw in also 'The Thief of Bagdad" which is pretty cool too. The Sabu one.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
Excalibur, with the magnificent Helen Mirren as Morgan le Fay, and Nicol Williamson as Merlin.
I LOVED Excalibur!! It's themes were a litte too "adult" for my young mind, but the action and the sword play were right up my alley!

Panache

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
Um, yeah it does! lol

LD

In my mind there is a genre of "Fantasy" in Cinema that includes such diverse movies as "Willow" , "Krull", "LadyHawke" , "Conan", "The Sword and the Sorcerer", and the wonderful movies of Ray Harryhaussen.

Films like "Beast Master", "The Sword and the Sorcerer", "Death Stalker", "Yor: The Hunter from the Future" and such took their inspiration from (i.e. copied) "Conan". They feature magic, monsters, and some fantastic strange land but the primary focus is some lightly clad muscular hero surrounded by a bunch of scantily clad (at best) women.

Fantasy to be sure. But a far cry from Sinbad ;)

Cheers

Jamie

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
conan-poster-final.jpg

Directed by Bret Ratner. I don't know how I feel about that...

dr greg

One Too Many
hear the lamentation of their women

Wasn't there a project around where John Milius was writing an "older Conan" with sons and stuff, for Arnie? That would be something, the original is pretty much the ne plus ultra of the genre. Excalibur deserves a mention though, I still watch it every few months, but the only problem with that is the clowning of Nicol Williamson...where that came from I don't know, it prevents it from being one of the best films ever made, let alone a classic of the genre and the best telling of the Arthurian legend.
And in that vein, I can recommend this
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402057/
far superior to that cartoon nonsense that came out recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24