Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney's beloved Hayden Orpheum Art Deco Picture Palace

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Located in the main street of Cremorne on Sydney's north side, this beautiful theatre permits time travel back to 1936 by just opening its doors. Behold:

Hayden1.jpg

Hayden2.jpg

Hayden6.jpg

Hayden3.jpg

Hayden5.jpg

Hayden4.jpg

Hayden7.jpg

Benny Holiday

Some history on the Orpheum

The Picture Palace originally opened in October 1935, and was the second Orpheum built by a family named Virgona. Tragically, the first one was destroyed to make way for a freeway. Man, that's enough to make a grown man cry!

Apparently, the theatre remained virtually untouched until it closed in 1979. It was almost redeveloped in 1971, but the family held on to the property. In 1986, an Australian TV personality named Mike Walsh bought it and restored it back to its original glory, and it opened again for business in 1987.

In addition to regular movie screenings, the Orpheum hosts special events including screenings of vintage movies accompanied by appearances by the 14-piece Swing band the Mell-o-tones. For instance, when the movie 'LA Confidential' came out, they teamed it with a screening of 'To Have and Have Not,' and featured both the Mell-o-tones and Neil Jensen playing the 1930's Wurlitzer organ that rises from under the main stage.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed seeing the pictures. It's an amazing place, the atmosphere is, as I said earlier, just like travelling back in time. It's like an oasis of the Golden Era in the midst of the crazy modern world.

Benny Holiday

That would be good to see, Lizzie

I wonder if the operators run a tour of the theatre? I'll have to look into it, and see if I can take some pics of the projection booth. The Orpheum is an hour's drive from where I live (not a big deal in Sydney), but I'll have to plan a trip when I next have holidays in August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot