Tabletop Hatters of The Lounge

Discussion in 'Hats' started by ChicagoWayVito, Jan 8, 2019.

1. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

I heard the rumor that M&F Western Supply carried the 2 and 3 ply ribbon. After several calls to them I was informed that I could only buy it if I had a vendor account. They referred me to my local M&F vendor, Elliot's Shoes and Boots and was told they could order it for me. I then made several calls to several different Elliot's stores and was told by several different salespersons/managers that they couldn't order the ribbon for me. I originally thought that every western hat maker/supplier in the country would have this ribbon in stock and available to purchase. I was wrong. It rankles me to give up on finding the things I need, but I'm pretty close at this point.

2. Sounds like Elliott's doesn't want to bother with it. Thanks for the input.
    Kind of hard to clone...well, never mind.

3. BulldogsRBtrThnPeople

BulldogsRBtrThnPeople New in Town

Hi All - I am sure this question has been asked before, but I have been unable to find anything using the search function...
    I am just beginning my hat-making journey and I am looking for a good place to buy some fur felt to start tooling around. I have found a few places that seem like logical places to start (like hatsupply.com, for example) but there doesn't seem to be much information around where the felt actually comes from or what kind of blend it is (I usually see the generic "fur felt"). I feel like there is this cloud of mystery around where all this felt comes from. I know that beaver would be pretty rare so the felt is likely rabbit but how do all the bespoke hatters out there find genuine beaver felt?
    Again, apologies if this has been discussed already. Thanks in advance!

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  4. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Beaver isn’t rare, but it does sell for a premium. Most US custom made beaver dress hats use felt made by Winchester. I’ve heard a few times over the last several months that Winchester isn’t taking on any new clients. There are several European felters, but the biggest are Tonak and FEPSA. FEPSA is difficult for hatters in the US to acquire. You can try Agnoulita on Etsy for Tonak rabbit or his undisclosed sourced hare. I’d bet most of the the “fur felt” hat bodies you see elsewhere are Tonak rabbit. You can also try The Hat Maker’s Emporium, but I’m not sure he has beaver: hatmakersemporium@gmail.com

Be aware that not all felt is made equal even when it’s from the same animal. Agnoulita had some 100% nutria felts that I think ended up in a landfill after he decided he didn’t want his company associated with them; the hatter refused to make me a hat from one because he knew I would be hugely disappointed.

If you’re just starting out, maybe rabbit isn’t a bad way to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hat and Rehat, DOGMAN and Steve1857 like this.
  5. BulldogsRBtrThnPeople

BulldogsRBtrThnPeople New in Town

deadlyhandsome - This is great info. Thank you so much for steering me in the right direction!