Tabletop Hatters of The Lounge

Discussion in 'Hats' started by ChicagoWayVito, Jan 8, 2019.

1. MikePotts

MikePotts Practically Family

Nice work Groovy, I was unfamiliar with the 'flamed' thing until now, hmmmmm……….

2. ruvort

ruvort One of the Regulars

Thank you for sharing! Would you be willing to link the info on building the conformer? That seems like a neat project in itself.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

DRB, Dm101 and Cornshucker77 like this.
  3. GroovyDad

GroovyDad New in Town

I will link what little I have on the conformer. I actually saw on Fedora Lounge where someone else had made it and that gave me the idea. I didn’t really take any measurements or anything, I just looked at the photograph posted and kind of expounded on it .

I will elaborate more on it when I’m at a real keyboard instead of trying to type this into my phone

DRB, Cornshucker77 and ruvort like this.
  4. ChicagoWayVito

ChicagoWayVito Practically Family

Looks like your homemade conformer was inspired by the one made by @humanshoes looks pretty good.

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  5. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

Nice work GroovyDad. It's good to see some other hatters taking advantage of my simple design for that conformateur.

Cornshucker77 and Dm101 like this.
  6. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

Read that and literally spit out my coffee in mid-sip. rolling_laughing.png My keyboard was NOT happy!!

Cornshucker77, Dm101 and jlee562 like this.
  7. GroovyDad

GroovyDad New in Town

YES! Thanks so much for posting your design. That made all of the difference in the world.

8. ruvort

ruvort One of the Regulars

I'd be interested in seeing your design as well. Where did you post it?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

9. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

I believe I posted it somewhere in the Photos of Hatters Tools thread ruvort. I lovingly refer to it as the "Wheel of Pain". Have fun with it.

10. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

You're more than welcome GroovyDad. My local customers seem to enjoy the conformateur experience and the fact that they have a personalized band block on the shelf in my hat shop.

John Kaiyalethe likes this.
  11. John Kaiyalethe

John Kaiyalethe New in Town

Kaiyalethe Crowns' Resist, a felt cadet/patrol style hat[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

12. DRB

DRB One Too Many

John, that is great work that displays a clever idea. Love it.

13. John Kaiyalethe

Thank you so much!

14. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

How that's a cool cadet cap!
    [emoji41]

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

15. John Kaiyalethe

Thank you, they are all fun, but it was fun doing something ive never done before!

16. ChicagoWayVito

Finally successfully made my own custom sweatband bow. The one on the left (plum) is the one I made and the one on the right (white) is one that I had purchased. Trying to reduce my reliance on external suppliers, anything that I can make myself gets me to that goal. Kind of nice to also make custom sweatband bows. Now I am only limited by the available ribbon stock on hand. Also, decided that I can change up the size of the bow, mine is slightly larger than the purchased bow. Anyway, thought I would share. I will keep on refining it.

hatBow.jpg

17. John Kaiyalethe

Very nice!

ChicagoWayVito likes this.
  18. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

Great job CWV. I know from experience that it's not quite as easy as one would think. A small suggestion if I may, you might try fraying out your bow ends a bit for a more vintage look. I made my own for a few years and then got lazy and started buying them by the gross ($18.00) from Leko.

ChicagoWayVito likes this.
  19. ChicagoWayVito

Fraying the ends...that is a great idea. I will give that a try. Only issue I have with Leko's website is there is a $60 minimum and standard shipping is about twice what it should cost.

Dm101 likes this.
  20. humanshoes

humanshoes One Too Many

I feel the same way about minimum orders and inflated shipping charges. I don't like them. On the other hand, I want to support US based suppliers that cater to the hat making industry and I really have no idea about the challenges they face just staying in business. Every time I try to source quality rayon/cotton grosgrain hat ribbon I rue the loss of the Schiff ribbon mill and think that if I had only ordered more ribbon from them they might still be in business. Sounds silly, I know, but if every hat maker in the country had ordered more ribbon...