Tabletop Hatters of The Lounge

Discussion in 'Hats' started by ChicagoWayVito, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dlaniger

Dlaniger Call Me a Cab

Good evening. A question. I have a 3-inch brim hat and would like to curl the brim edge to make it into a lords style. The hat has a nice flare in the brim up position. Are there any easy at home techniques or tricks make the brim curl, or should I find a professional? By the way, everyone's hats look great. Thanks for your help.

Tukwila likes this.
  2. ChicagoWayVito

ChicagoWayVito A-List Customer

I suspect the curl on the brim of a Lords Hat was made using a curling shackle. They are difficult to find, ebay has them once in a blue moon. I bought a 3 piece set from JW of JW Hats before he passed away, the new owner may still make them but I do not know that for sure. The shop is now called JW Custom Hats. I spent about $300 for my set but no idea on how much they might be today. I suspect you could get a professional hatter to do the curl for less than $50. You might be able to curl the brim with a lot of steam, patience, and using your thumbs to provide the curl but results will vary greatly. Aside from curling shackles I could imaging a specialized brim flange that could curl it but then you would likely have to commission something like that to be made.

If you do get a shackle or set, be prepared to do some test runs. It is a little tricky to get the curl going.

Dlaniger likes this.
  3. Dlaniger

Dlaniger Call Me a Cab

Thanks for the response. The information you have provided has been very helpful. I’ll keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

I was trying out a new style for me when I made this one. Kind of a crossover style with a fedora style crease.

It looked better on Carolyn, so I took a picture with her wearing it. I'll try to get a couple of more pix of it when I have a minute. Not sure how clear it is, but she does dress the hat up anyway, right?? ;)

new_hat.jpg

DRB, Dm101, John Kaiyalethe and 9 others like this.
  5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Hat?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

DRB, Dm101, John Kaiyalethe and 4 others like this.
  6. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

Feelin' ya .. Believe me, you got the most minimal distraction possible as I only took a headshot! :cool:

Dm101, DOGMAN, Rmccamey and 2 others like this.
  7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

^^^pretty serious model when she makes the camera lens’ eyes water too!!
    Might as well forget her showin off your hats Mike!! Just sayin...
    B
    Ps:but...if you must...right on!!

8. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

I have to say she does. :)

Mustang Mike's Hats likes this.
  9. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

LOL

10. Moviehats

Moviehats One of the Regulars

Try this guy. Takes awhile to get, but great work.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/123952457/built-to-order-kettle-curl-hat-making?ref=hp_opfy-1&cns=1

Dlaniger likes this.
  11. Dlaniger

Dlaniger Call Me a Cab

DRB and jlee562 like this.
  12. John Kaiyalethe

John Kaiyalethe New in Town

Kaiyalethe Crowns Drifter, send your model my way Mustang Mike[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cornshucker77, Rmccamey, DRB and 4 others like this.
  13. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

That's such a beauty...wow.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

14. John Kaiyalethe

John Kaiyalethe New in Town

Thank you for the compliment! I think its very clean with a very unique look!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Dm101 and DRB like this.
  15. DRB

DRB One Too Many

A simple ribbon change......Borsalino Casual Crusher, Marco........I did not like the original ribbon. This is an inexpensive black leather band. Borsalino Casual Crusher Marco in Sage Ribbon Change March 2019 (1).jpg Borsalino Casual Crusher Marco in Sage Ribbon Change March 2019 (2).jpg Borsalino Casual Crusher Marco in Sage Ribbon Change March 2019 (3).jpg

16. GroovyDad

GroovyDad New in Town

This is my first post to The Fedora Lounge, but I've been lurking in the shadows and have learned quite a bit...Thanks!

I love old fedoras and after being inspired by hat makers Nick Foquet, Grizz and many others, I decided to try my hand at making a custom, aged, flamed fedora and I think my first attempt came out pretty good.

Here's a link to the hat page on my blog "The Aimless Roamer" as my photos were apparently too large to post directly to this thread.

17. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Nice work! I think you probably did more actual work than that Fouquet dude himself. Nice ribbon choice and proportions. Posts like these make me feel like I should give it a try just once.

Consider adding your work into a great new thread that was recently started: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/tabletop-hatters-of-the-lounge.96123/

we have some very talented small scale and at-home hat makers here.

18. GroovyDad

GroovyDad New in Town

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll look at cross posting to the other thread as well.

DRB, Dm101 and drmaxtejeda like this.
  19. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

A fine hat and a superb effort breathing, or should that be steaming, new life into a great hat.
    fedora.JPG

John Kaiyalethe, DRB, Dm101 and 4 others like this.
  20. GroovyDad

GroovyDad New in Town

Thanks, I’m already looking forward to the next one...

DRB and drmaxtejeda like this.