Tabletop Hatters of The Lounge

Discussion in 'Hats' started by ChicagoWayVito, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

There are MANY goofball hatters that just buy the fancy equipment and kick out the same old standard boring hats that don't look or feel any different than the 10 million that are already available.

But then you have homebrew hatters that make hats that stand out because they put innovation, improvisation, heart and soul into their hats and not just money.

[start opinion]
    In my opinion, even if you just make a few original hats to start with...that's worlds better than 10,000 of the cookie-cutter hats. But the world is a lot stupider than it used to be and more and more people refuse to think for themselves. Those types wouldn't venture to even consider wearing a real hat, they wear baseball caps and aim to look exactly like everyone else.
    [/end opinion]

2. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Call Me a Cab

Point taken!
    (Semper Fi*)

*from one not of your number

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  3. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

I'm not of their number either...
    No water in my boots...lol.
    (HOOAH!)

Hat and Rehat likes this.
  4. Hat and Rehat

I'm unlikely to er in that direction,deadlyhandsom. The main reason I presently am an employee, for bosses that pay me a wage, is that I'm too nice to be my own boss. I did very well paid by the piece, .
    Putting together a realistic bid , buying materials,, etc. .... I never marked my pricing up as much as I should have.

However, what is a 'renovated' hat worth? If I get a nice deal on a fur felt hat , say eBay, then clean it, reshape it, replace the aged sweat, and also turn it into something more modern with a new band and bow, what is it worth? What should I ask?

I'm reworking wool hats to learn. I buy them at the thrift store, toss them in some water, then have a 'hood' to stretch and shape. What should I ask for something like that?

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  5. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Take a look at the services offered by hatters. Sweatband replacement runs $35-$50 typically.

There are lots of folks out there already on etsy and what not, trying to leech off the Fouquet aesthetic. Personally, I would not pay what these folks are asking for "renovated" hats.

But I am just one guy with an opinion, not the consensus of hat buyers everywhere.

6. I’ve sent more of my refurb work to VS than to any other hatter. Here are his prices:
    https://vscustomhats.com/services/

As for buying vintage hats and fixing them up on speculation, there are a few people already doing this and I get the impression they don’t sell all that many hats. Most collectors would rather have a faded liners and a deteriorated leather sweatband if they are original over the best replacements available. Sometimes hats need work and repairs or we convert westerns into fedoras and hats need to be reblocked and sweatbands replaces, but I don't know how much work you would have.

DOGMAN and Mustang Mike's Hats like this.
  7. Hat and Rehat

Thanks. That's food for thought. My instincts seem to have steered me in that direction. I haven't shared pictures yet because my newest laptop needs USB drivers, but I did get one of my old ones back in action, so will use it, and post some soon.
    I posted a few weeks ago about landing a Champ on eBay for $12 with free shipping. The seller had smashed it flat for envelope shipping, per another bidder that I seem to have beat out at the wire, and I was given the chance to back out. I declined. As soon as I popped it into shape out of the packaging I started to see that I had done exceptionally well. It's a brown hat with ribbon band and brim binding a shade or two lighter than the hat. The bow is similar to the one on my two Stetson Royal Deluxe, and on my beater wool Scala that I work in, and on other hats I've purchased since, but very nicely done. It's longer, with more separation between the double bows in back, and the center "knot" is different. The grosgrain lines are horizontal, and ribbon edges meet in the center to form a vertical line (I will be imitating this in the future). It also has a wind cord with a button on the bow. I actually have no idea how you use that, but I can see that it is a quality feature of the hat. The edge binding is bigger than many I've seen, about 3/8" showing on the brim and underbrim. By the time I had fully brushed out the significant dust I realized that there wasn't a single flaw in the felt, and that the flange was still excellent. the sweat band is still supple, and the lining is held in by tapes that appear to be fabric. The only flaws I can find are two very small black dots in the satin. I'll need to look at them with a magnifying glass, but suspect they're tiny burns from a cigar or cigarette ash falling into the hat. The crown is 5" in a #52 shape, a bit higher toward the back, and the brim 2 1/4". With the crown open and the brim snapped up it has a very Homburg feel, but with less roll to the brim It's a beautiful hat, and .... it ISN'T MY SIZE!
    [I don't know WTH happened, but the end of my post vanished. Grrrrr. I said I needed to get to work, but would talk about another Champ I ordered after being so pleased with this one tonight, and would provide pictures.]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Dm101 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  8. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

When it comes to the Nick "Fouquet" hats...most people take the name how it looks and say
    "Fouq - et". I know I sure do.
    But, fools and their money have been separated for centuries long before I was born...and there'll be plenty more after i'm gone.

9. Hat and Rehat

I lost the end of that post yesterday morning. What I added about the $12 Champ was that I realized I shouldn't change anything about that hat. If it did fit me, and I was keeping it for myself, I wouldn't touch it, other than to decide on a bash.

I just tried to upload a picture of it. The file is too large for the server. I'll figure that out later.

Champ #2 is a 7 1/8, my size, and I bought it intending to keep it for myself if it compared to the first one. It wasn't very expensive either, and might have been offered as a Buy Now. I'll have to check my records. The description was sparse, but it was identified as a brown, Champ fedora with an upturned brim, good shape, but signs of age.

HOLY S#*T! I JUST LOST ANOTHER BLOCK OF TEXT. A REALLY BIG ONE! AN HOUR'S EFFORT, CONSIDERING TIME SPENT MEASURING. I'M TICKED OFF, AND WILL HAVE TO COME BACK TO THIS.

I seem to have a couple of computer issues at the Lounge. Am I alone in this? My cursor often jumps backwards in my text while typing in the dialog boxes. Also, though this is extremely rare while visiting other sites, if I have multiple open windows I get the yellow message in my task bar that a text/site is slowing down my connection.

10. Hat and Rehat

This is a test. Can Hat and Rehat, A) successfuly share pictures of the two hats he's been describing. b)keep from going completely bats%.&t if it doesnt worrom his phone, a mobile d78evice

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  11. bond

bond My Mail is Forwarded Here

After steaming and shaping for the last two days I think I finally got it close to where I like the fit. This one is around a 60s vintage and felt is damn nice. It was a 3/8 so I resized it up to fit 1/2. Brim is s full 3 5/8 .
    I’ve been looking for another wide brim to add for summer wear and I decided this could work if I put in a vented sweat. The felt is pretty substantial but still pliable. Have decided if I’ll change ribbon yet.
    Thanks Harry Dobson for a fine hat!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Nice style, great colour and shape. I wouldn't alter that wonderful thin ribbon, but it's your hat.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Dm101 likes this.
  13. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

That is a nice hat and I would think you should leave it as it is...nice thin ribbon!

14. Hat and Rehat

Champ #1[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

15. Hat and Rehat

Champ #2[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Cornshucker77, DOGMAN and BobHufford like this.
  16. Hat and Rehat

Turned out the color of #2 wasn't brown. It has shades of purple, and I think you'd call it oxeblood. Unfortunately, I was careless with the sweatband. After turning it in and out a few times I noticed it cracking along the stitches in front. I tried to gently fold it in, but it cracked on one side as I did so. I bought three reeded sweats when I last purchased them, so still have one.

17. Hat and Rehat

And, I couldn't help myself. I bought another Champ tonight on eBay.

18. bond

Yes I understand your sentiment but I was wanting to duplicate my daily wearer for summer . I decided upon a 1/2 silk in pale grey that I’ve been saving. It goes really well with the color of this Resistol felt.
    Here’s a getting ready to put the entire hat together after reshaping it yet again , but that’s another story. lol
    IMG_5936.jpg

19. bond

And I finally got this one together with a silk liner in sky blue, pale grey silk crown ribbon.
    Still fudging the shape of the brim as an ongoing project .
    Here’s some finish pics
    IMG_5983.jpg IMG_5978.jpg IMG_5976.jpg IMG_5980.jpg

20. bond

And an outdoor shot.
    IMG_6022.jpg