Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Take my razor...please!

Canadave

One Too Many
Shave guys,

I give up. After many tries with my Merkur DE, I’m ready to part with it forever. My last attempt included a shiny new blade from a recently purchased package of 10 (Merkur brand). I just can’t make it work. I don’t want to lather up 2 or 3 times to attack my face from different directions. I think my main problem may be the fact that I don’t shave on weekends, so this just doesn’t work for me on Monday morning. I have no problem with a modern system.

First one to PM me gets it. (I believe it’s the “Classic”, shown here below.)

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/284046.htm#image_1

David

HOLD ALL CALLS, WE HAVE A WINNER

Teacher

Familiar Face
My dad still uses a Gilette model very much like this. He got his in the '60s, and it's the only one he's ever had. He swears by it. I learned to shave on it, and I never liked it. Then I got my own twin-blade, and my troubles were over. Dad has no problem with that -- to each his own, right? The problem he does have is that every antique shop in the area has his exact razor...an antique!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
That's one retro thing I could do without.

If I was forced to shave with one of those every day, I would probably have grown a beard. I first started shaving with one of those so-called "safety razors" too. Cut myself every single time too. :(
Then they came out with the two-bladers and the old Gillette went the way of the dinosaurs. :) Then the three blade shavers arrived and now I almost never cut myself.
Now I see they have a 4 bladed version that I have just got to try.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Too bad it didn't work out for you. My Merkur works fine as long as I use their blades. I ran out once and couldn't find anything to use except the "Walgreens" brand which were so dull I thought that they might be used blades right out of the package. I suppose some beards were not meant for the vintage shave...

Teacher

Familiar Face
Sefton said:
Too bad it didn't work out for you. My Merkur works fine as long as I use their blades. I ran out once and couldn't find anything to use except the "Walgreens" brand which were so dull I thought that they might be used blades right out of the package. I suppose some beards were not meant for the vintage shave...

I certainly can't discount your experience, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a weakness in a brand's design.

Feraud

Bartender
Hmmm, I wonder what the problem is with using the safety razor.

I have been using one since I was a teenager and suffer no frustrations. 3, 4, 7 blades make no sense if you have a one sharp blade on hand. I have used the Mach.. whatever. It is a decent enough razor but definitely not lightyears ahead of a safety in terms of cutting edge(s).

What exactly are the problems anyone has encountered with the safety?

skbellis

One of the Regulars
problems...

I think there are two main problems people have with old fashioned safety razors these days. First of all, most of us are in too much of a hurry when we shave. You need to take your time with these razors. Secondly, the angle. You need to learn the proper angle at which to hold the razor on different parts of your face. The new 2, 3, 4, 5- blade razors you buy at the store now all automatically tilt to adjust to your face.

Using the old fashioned safety razor is a bit of an art form, just not to the extent of a straight razor.

---Scott

Rafter

Suspended
Zig2k143 said:
They have a 5 blader now. I own it and it works well. :)

The 5 bladers are "weapons"!
There are "power" 5 bladers. Those are "deadly weapons"!!
I started shaving with my father's safety razor. Now I use 2 bladers.
Tried the mach3's and wound up shredding my face.

Jovan

Suspended
skbellis said:
I think there are two main problems people have with old fashioned safety razors these days. First of all, most of us are in too much of a hurry when we shave. You need to take your time with these razors. Secondly, the angle. You need to learn the proper angle at which to hold the razor on different parts of your face. The new 2, 3, 4, 5- blade razors you buy at the store now all automatically tilt to adjust to your face.

Using the old fashioned safety razor is a bit of an art form, just not to the extent of a straight razor.

---Scott
I have done all of that to the best of my ability.

Feraud

Bartender
Like me old granddad used to say, "if you cannot shave with one blade, what good will five do?"

Here are good words worth repeating.
skbellis said:

---Scott
Btw, "taking your time" does not mean a half hour shaving expierience. Use a sharp blade, rise the razor repeatedly, learn the razor, the angles of your hair growth and you should not have a problem.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Zig2k143 said:
They ave a 5 blader now I own it and it works well. :)
Yes! :eusa_clap Now it's 5,...I know what my next shaving purchase will be.
I think the whole theory behind the multiple blades is that the wear on the cutting surface(s) is distributed farther among the multiple blades. The blades stay sharper longer I think, and thus give a more comfortable shave.

panamag8or

Practically Family
I think impatience is a major factor in people ditching a DE. I look at it as "me time" when I shave, now, rather than the neccessary evil it was before. It may take a little longer, but my face is much happier for it.

Zig2k143

Practically Family

Rafter

Suspended
Zig2k143 said:
Get battery powered one.... It works really well..

If I use a blade, I want full control of it.
The only thing a "power" blade can do is vibrate. That leads to lots of cuts.

If you want to go the power route, use an electric shaver!!

Feraud

Bartender
A quick consideration tells me those multiple blade razors are not set up to utilize the blade efficiently or distribute the cutting job over each blade. A partially raised blade is not doing its job. If your first blade is sharp it will shave as required. What are the other 4 doing? Moral support? Why the increase from 1 to 2, 3, 4, 5 blades?
Good marketing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari