Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Take my razor...please!

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
Pretty much. Mach 3 chewed up my face...

I should probably just try to perfect my DE technique.
Practice makes perfect. Make sure your blades are sharp, your skin is prepared, learn which way the hair grows in on your face. Shave with the hair and not against it. Rinse the blade thoroughly with each stroke or two.
You can do it!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Rafter said:
If I use a blade, I want full control of it.
The only thing a "power" blade can do is vibrate. That leads to lots of cuts.

If you want to go the power route, use an electric shaver!!
I thought so too. But a friend of mine got one of those vibrating models and he swears by it. The vibrating effect is for cleaning the blades, not for the actual shaving of whiskers. In other words, one does not actually shave while the blades are vibrating.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
A quick consideration tells me those multiple blade razors are not set up to utilize the blade efficiently or distribute the cutting job over each blade. A partially raised blade is not doing its job. If your first blade is sharp it will shave as required. What are the other 4 doing? Moral support? Why the increase from 1 to 2, 3, 4, 5 blades?
Good marketing?
That's what I thought too, :rolleyes: until I tried the two, then, three bladed jobs.
The first double bladed razor that came out that actually worked was the Gillette Sensor. The reason it worked so well, and was so well accepted was that the blades are very flexible and they follow the contours of the face. I remember guys were actually getting sterling silver handles for the Sensor blades,...they liked them that much.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Rafter said:
If I use a blade, I want full control of it.
The only thing a "power" blade can do is vibrate. That leads to lots of cuts.

If you want to go the power route, use an electric shaver!!

Actaully rafter it a very very very slight vibrate.... you hardly even notice it... It doesn't cut you more..... It makes it better.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I thought so too. But a friend of mine got one of those vibrating models and he swears by it. The vibrating effect is for cleaning the blades, not for the actual shaving of whiskers. In other words, one does not actually shave while the blades are vibrating.

Not according to the blaring commercial voice and spiffy graphics in the ad. The vibrating makes it so you can barely feel the blades! (as they cause damage to your skin and leave ingrown hairs in their wake)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
panamag8or said:
Not according to the blaring commercial voice and spiffy graphics in the ad. The vibrating makes it so you can barely feel the blades! (as they cause damage to your skin and leave ingrown hairs in their wake)
Whatever. I may just try one anyway. I've never had any trouble with multiple blade razors. In fact, I like that I don't have to spend more than 30 seconds to a minute shaving. Saves me valuable time for other things. :)

Canadave

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Hmmm, I wonder what the problem is with using the safety razor...

What exactly are the problems anyone has encountered with the safety?

I think maybe if I shaved every day, it might work for me. But I don't shave on weekends, and it just wouldn't cut my beard on Monday. I think I would have had to go over the same spot ten times...and I don't have a particularly heavy beard. My twin bladed Sensor (or whatever it is) just glided right through it.

David

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I began shaving with a safety razor in 7th grade [huh] but I kissed that sucker goodbye in my sophomore year of highschool when the Gillette Trac II came out. Funny thing, once I dumped the safety razor I had no use for a styptic pencil. ;)

Now I actually use three different razors in my shaving routine. First I use the Quattro to shave with the grain of my beard, then I use the Mach III to shave against the grain and finally the Sensor to clean up around the nose and sideburns. An absolutely fantastic shave with ZERO bloodshed.

Shoes068.jpg

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Multi blade problems...

The one problem I have with most of the multi-blade razors is I cannot shave under my nose close enough. At least Gillette realized this shortcoming and added that single blade on the backside of their Gillette Fusion.

---Scott

aliados

One of the Regulars
And what's wrong with the old fashioned SINGLE-bladed straight razor??? (Used to cut myself to ribbons with the old Gilette double-edged, and take off more skin than whiskers with an electric, and get only two or three decent shaves out of the newer ones, then I switched to straights, and LOVE it!

Rafter

Suspended
cooncatbob,
How come we've not gotten you perspective on this subject?
You're the blade expert here!!

skbellis

One of the Regulars
single blade..

I am a convert to the single blade. I am not gutsy enough yet to try the straight razor. But before I made the switch, the gillette fusion was the only one that wasn't too thick to get under my nose area.

I have also found the proraso pre-shaving balm/lotion to be very useful. The menthol in it invigorates the face.

---Scott

Teacher

Familiar Face
There are a number of forumites advocating slowing down, learning technique, etc. That's well and fine, but it leaves me wondering: if I can do just as good a job faster (and believe me, I can), why should I return to a technology that slows me down without real benefits (unless that is the benefit)? Those who like these razors should stick with them, and more power to them. However, many of us who get baby-soft shaves (and I have a THICK beard, too!) using SensorExcels or whatever can't really see why someone should switch. Just a thought.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Tomasso said:
I began shaving with a safety razor in 7th grade [huh] but I kissed that sucker goodbye in my sophomore year of highschool when the Gillette Trac II came out. Funny thing, once I dumped the safety razor I had no use for a styptic pencil. ;)

Now I actually use three different razors in my shaving routine. First I use the Quattro to shave with the grain of my beard, then I use the Mach III to shave against the grain and finally the Sensor to clean up around the nose and sideburns. An absolutely fantastic shave with ZERO bloodshed.

Wow, that's a heck of a regimine! Why the armory of razors?

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Tomasso said:

Shoes068.jpg

I'm sorry but using 3 razors that take 3 different cartridges doesn't seem like a very sensible solution. Now shaving with a double edge safety razor isn't for everyone, there's a learning curve to mastering it and even then it's take more time for most guys then using a pivoting cartridge razor. I shave my face and head 3 times a week with a DE (I work construction) and I believe I get a superior shave then when I used a Mach3. BTW I don't own a styptic pencil. LOL

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I must say this has been an eye opening thread in a way for me. I realize that as to the question of shaving, retro is definitely not the way to go for me. I like my blood right where it's at,...inside me that is. :eek:
I think all the research and development that went into the multi bladed razors of today was well worth it. I can shave in no time, and be off to more profitable and worthwhile pursuits, and still keep all my vital fluids inside where they belong. :)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I must say this has been an eye opening thread in a way for me. I realize that as to the question of shaving, retro is definitely not the way to go for me. I like my blood right where it's at,...inside me that is. :eek:
I think all the research and development that went into the multi bladed razors of today was well worth it. I can shave in no time, and be off to more profitable and worthwhile pursuits, and still keep all my vital fluids inside where they belong. :)

Pshaw...the R&D that has gone into most of today's razors has been, "How can we get the consumer to buy more expensive razors/blades/cartridges, and more of them?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff