Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tales Of The Gold Monkey - DVD

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tales of the Gold Monkey - The Complete Series is finally available on commercial DVD!! A Region 2/4 PAL encoded 6 disc set is currently available, chock full of bonus material. A Region 1 version is planned for release in June 2010. http://www.shoutfactory.com/press/360/tales_of_the_gold_monkey_the_complete_series_dvd_b.aspx

JakeDVD.jpg
JakeDVD2.jpg

-dixon 'jake cutter' cannon

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Goose

Worst TV series ever made! I may have to break down and buy the set! What can I say, I am a sucker for a pretty face, the Grumman Goose that is!

Dixon Cannon

I have to laugh! Everybody is now a mini- Roger Ebert. FL'rs scouring every frame of film in hopes of
finding something to condemn. Freeze-framing, counting stiches, squinting to discover all that is "wrong"
so as to sound erudite, discriminating and cultured in their exacting criticism of artistic presentation.

Here's a clue: It's ENTERTAINMENT! That's all - no one is asserting Shakespearean soliloquies in these things.
They're just entertaining little soap operas for amusement.

So relax. The purchase price of $49.97 is only for those who find it an entertainment value. Your credit card
will not be charged for just perusing the thread. You are not required to like everything that is put in front of you.

-dixon cannon

Atomic Age

Practically Family
dr greg said:
Ahem, I remember this as utter rubbish, a 2-bob lost ark knockoff, or more accurately Magnum meets Indiana Jones on the set of South Pacific....

The pilot script for Tales of the Gold Monkey was written and submitted to the networks by Donald Bellisario in 1978, but they all passed on it. After Raiders came out, ABC approached Bellisario about going a head with the pilot. From what I can tell from having read the pilot script, nothing changed in the production of the pilot film.

So calling it a Raiders knock off is a little off the mark.

Personally I loved this show, and in my opinion it was influenced more by Casablanca and Only Angels Have Wings, story wise, than by Indiana Jones.

Doug

dr greg

One Too Many
Some are

Dixon Cannon said:
I have to laugh! Everybody is now a mini- Roger Ebert.
-dixon cannon
Well I wasn't as widely known as Roger, whose work I admire, but I did work as a professional film critic on several magazines for most of the 80's, have had experience as a scriptwriter, been an actor, and studied film noir at University as part of a degree in Digital Communication I took as a mature student about 10 years ago...
My brother in law is a well-regarded lighting tech, one of the country's top award-winning sound recordists lives up the road, and I have several friends who still work in the industry so films/TV drama and the making thereof have been known to crop up in my social conversations occasionally....

dr greg

One Too Many
Maybe so

Atomic Age said:
The pilot script for Tales of the Gold Monkey was written and submitted to the networks by Donald Bellisario in 1978, .
I must concede that point, not knowing enough about the history of the show to argue it, but I still thought it a lightweight show, and the series episodes did show a post-RLA influence, as I recall.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
dr greg said:
I must concede that point, not knowing enough about the history of the show to argue it, but I still thought it a lightweight show, and the series episodes did show a post-RLA influence, as I recall.

I would say that you are correct in that visually the show owes much to Raiders, but I would suggest at least renting the show if you haven't seen much past the pilot. There are some very interesting stories being told. And yes a few clunkers like any TV show.

Doug

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Goose Lover

I stand behind my review, historically it is so inaccurate it is pitiful! But man-O-man the footage of the Goose is still the best, and pops up from time to time on newer shows! If you don't love the Goose footage, you need to check your pulse.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Stearmen said:
I stand behind my review, historically it is so inaccurate it is pitiful! But man-O-man the footage of the Goose is still the best, and pops up from time to time on newer shows! If you don't love the Goose footage, you need to check your pulse.

I couldn't care less if its historically accurate, its just a fun show.

Doug

Feraud

Bartender
Atomic Age said:
The pilot script for Tales of the Gold Monkey was written and submitted to the networks by Donald Bellisario in 1978, but they all passed on it. After Raiders came out, ABC approached Bellisario about going a head with the pilot. From what I can tell from having read the pilot script, nothing changed in the production of the pilot film.

So calling it a Raiders knock off is a little off the mark.
Very interesting. Thanks for adding that piece of info.

Story

I'll Lock Up
If this is set in 1938, did anyone ever wonder how Jake Cutter could have been a Flying Tigers veteran... when the AVG first saw combat on 20 December 1941? [huh]

bbc1969

Familiar Face
What made that show so great was that is existed! Being a kid who yearned for action, adventure, airplanes and/or spaceplanes this series was beloved.

Now, as an adult do I find it implausible, sure. Of course I have always been a history nut so I called B.S. even as I watched it as a kid. But I didn't care!

The Battlestar Galactica's, Salvage One's, Gold Monkey's of the world is what kept many dreamer kid going back in the day when things like Fantasy Island, The Love Boat, Falcon Crest were all the rage. Throw a little Magnum P.I. in and we could almost make it thru a week of school with something to look forward too!!

Dixon Cannon

[SIZE="1" said:
bbc1969]What made that show so great was that is existed! Being a kid who yearned for action, adventure, airplanes and/or spaceplanes this series was beloved.

Now, as an adult do I find it implausible, sure. Of course I have always been a history nut so I called B.S. even as I watched it as a kid. But I didn't care!

The Battlestar Galactica's, Salvage One's, Gold Monkey's of the world is what kept many dreamer kid going back in the day when things like Fantasy Island, The Love Boat, Falcon Crest were all the rage. Throw a little Magnum P.I. in and we could almost make it thru a week of school with something to look forward too!![/
[SIZE="1" said:
QUOTE][/SIZE]

Hear, hear! That's what I'm talkin' about!!

-dixon cannon

Atomic Age

Practically Family
bbc1969 said:
What made that show so great was that is existed! Being a kid who yearned for action, adventure, airplanes and/or spaceplanes this series was beloved.

The Battlestar Galactica's, Salvage One's, Gold Monkey's of the world is what kept many dreamer kid going back in the day when things like Fantasy Island, The Love Boat, Falcon Crest were all the rage. Throw a little Magnum P.I. in and we could almost make it thru a week of school with something to look forward too!!

I was right there with you! I'm probably a little older than you because I'd add The Six Million Dollar Man to that list.

Another good 80s action adventure show in my opinion was Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

Doug

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Atomic Age said:
I was right there with you! I'm probably a little older than you because I'd add The Six Million Dollar Man to that list.

Another good 80s action adventure show in my opinion was Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

Doug

Remember it well. But was a bit younger than when Gold Monkey came out. My Goodness, and who could have forgot a bit of Black Sheep Squadron thrown in for good measure.

I'll take any of these off in the history department, campy shows any day over most of the reality crap we have seen on TV for the past ten years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo