Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tall Ship Sail

number6

Familiar Face
straw hat

Topper said:
Boater more Henley nowdays : -) unles you wish to be a period JackTar on a Tall ship....

There again the actual name Boater was only used early 20th Cent. The JackTars never called them boaters.

Interesting , did the straw hat have a name at all in those days if worn at sea?

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
7_1965_15.jpg

Ha! Cool! Like Jean Luc Picard wore a few times.

Topper

Vendor
Interesting , did the straw hat have a name at all in those days if worn at sea?

Sennit, Sennit hat, Sennit Straw hat, Sennit Straw, Straw hat, or quite simply just called a "Straw"

If the straw was waterproofed/treated with tar were also called a 'tarpaulin hat" or tar hat.

Though technically the primary 'tarpaulin hat' were made from old sail cloth treated with tar, and sewn into brimmed hats by sailors.

Boater, is assocaiate from the practice of boating the straw hat was a popular Victorian era and later, dress code hat, traditionally worn when going boating / punting ( similar to Gondoliers) on weekends, and thus in time became called a Boater.

billysmom

One Too Many
Sennit Hat

These are frequently mentioned in the wonderful historical novels by Patrick O'Brian.
SennitHat.jpg

Most appropriate for your purpose. (I have no suggestions for sourcing these, however. Sorry.

SMS

number6

Familiar Face
Topper said:
Sennit, Sennit hat, Sennit Straw hat, Sennit Straw, Straw hat, or quite simply just called a "Straw"

If the straw was waterproofed/treated with tar were also called a 'tarpaulin hat" or tar hat.

Though technically the primary 'tarpaulin hat' were made from old sail cloth treated with tar, and sewn into brimmed hats by sailors.

Boater, is assocaiate from the practice of boating the straw hat was a popular Victorian era and later, dress code hat, traditionally worn when going boating / punting ( similar to Gondoliers) on weekends, and thus in time became called a Boater.

Thanks Topper.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to take a second and thank Topper for being so generous with his time to show me around the shop and get me hooked up with the perfect Breton cap for my sail (and a panama hat as well).

If anyone is in the market for a Top Hat (or other), please check out his site. I got a chance to look at some of the work he does and it's really top level stuff.

Thanks again Topper, and thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help!

Jeff

Dreispitz

One Too Many
A German classic is the Prinz-Heinrich Mütze.

For pictures and availability, simply check the web.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot