Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tall Ship Sail

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey All,

It's been a while. Hope you're all doing well.

I am currently visiting the UK for 6 months and at the end of September I have a booking for a sail on a Tall Ship that goes around Ireland and such.

I would really like to find a hat that would make a cool statement, but not make me look like a total arse! You just know there is going to be at least 8 people who show up with a Captain Jack Sparrow hat thinking they're clever.

I would like to find something that will really be appropriate and practical. I haven't been able to think of anything so I figured I would turn to the experts.

The only requirement is that I have to be able to actually find the suggestions. I look forward to your suggestions.

Regards,

Jeff

P.S. I am required to wear waterproofs when it's stormy/wet, but I would also like to find something to wear on deck as well that is of the style. I will make a new post in another section if needed, but any suggestions for that as well would be greatly appreciated.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
crazylegsmurphy said:
The only requirement is that I have to be able to actually find the suggestions. I look forward to your suggestions.

Reading the your post again, I got to wondering if you meant "find the hat here locally". Can't help there, but if you're not going until the end of September, you've got time to order.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Jauntyone said:
Reading the your post again, I got to wondering if you meant "find the hat here locally". Can't help there, but if you're not going until the end of September, you've got time to order.

Hey,

I don't think I mentioned locally. I just meant that because I don't have a lot of time, or the means to search all over the place for a specific hat/clothing it would be great if the suggestions were something that I could buy or obtain fairly easy.

I was thinking of wearing my Adventurebilt, but it really doesn't seem like the right hat, nor do I want to watch it floating away after a gust of wind takes it.

I want to find something that a true sailor would say, "Ahhh, nice!" when they saw it, has the feeling of old, and doesn't come across as me trying to be a try-hard or a jerk.

The suggestion above isn't too bad, is that a typical sailing type hat?

Jauntyone

Practically Family
crazylegsmurphy said:
I want to find something that a true sailor would say, "Ahhh, nice!" when they saw it, has the feeling of old, and doesn't come across as me trying to be a try-hard or a jerk.

The suggestion above isn't too bad, is that a typical sailing type hat?

Well, I was in the Navy for over four years, and I think it's a nice hat!:D
Also, the Campdraft has a wind-trolley that is functional and can help prevent your cover from going to Davy Jones' locker!
A typical sailing hat could be several different things. Most sailors now wear ball-caps, or watch-caps when it's cold. Personally, I'd wear a yacht cap perched on my head at a jaunty angle:
imgres

But then, I'm notoriously insensible to what others might think of me;)

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
In September it is going to be getting cooler and wet, so you can't go wrong with a monmouth cap. It has kept mariners warm for centuries, stays on in the wind (which is stronger than you think), and is compact for stowability. The modern watchcap is just a variation on it, but I like the traditional look of the monmouth. Pretty much a Sou'wester and monmouth cap are all you need, though if you're seriously worried about the sun a tweed cap is a possibility...but you'll get tanned from the rays bouncing off the water anyway so sunglasses are more important than a hat.

Cheers,

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Tilley T3 Hat

The Tilley T3 hat was designed for sailing. Or just go down to the boating clubs and see/ask what everyone is wearing or recomends. My two cents worth.
Johnny

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Crazylegsmurphy

First off, congratulations! That sounds like an awesome trip... be sure to post photos and show off your adventure ;)

As far as a hat goes, I'd suggest a rather plain fisherman's hat or wool cap... preferably one that's been already worn in (for added "look") or one that you don't much care for (in case Poseidon decides he wants it!) Possibly a finer fedora or panama as well for evening wear?

A watch cap is also a great idea, for when it gets really cold. Bring a peacoat if you happen to have one!

Ciao, and Bon Voyage!

RP

Akubra

Familiar Face
I have to recommend a Tilley T3. It isn't as classy as an Akubra but it is the best sailing hat out there.

galopede

One of the Regulars
Which tall ship are you going on? We have a Tall Ships festival near me in Gloucester and I see several regularly. One of the big ones is the Kaskalot and their ship's cook comes to our morris and music sessions whenever the ship is in the dry dock at Gloucester.

An important man on the ship as he is one of only three crew that have a cabin!

I would suggest a Greek or Breton fisherman's cap. You going to lose a fedora over the side unless you tie it on!

Gareth

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
A lot of good suggestions here!

I'm not sure which style to go for. I like everything you guys have posted, but I think it might come down to something that I can compact into my backpack since I'll be backpacking for almost two weeks prior to the sail.

I'm going to go look around and post some links to some hats that are available online for you guys to look at.

Any ideas for clothing?

galopede, It's called Tall Ships Adventures Link

The one I am on is an 8 day sail between Ireland and such. This is my first time on a Tall Ship, but it has always been a dream of mine. The only thing that kinda sucks is that these ships are pretty new. I would give anything to sail home to Canada on a big, old, wood ship....I could die a happy man after that.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
If a felt, I strongly recommend attaching a chin strap. One you can remove easily and re-attach as needed. Mine use a small slit through the sweatband, about 1/3 way up from the stitching, and I snip off a 2.5" section of plastic strapping, the kind used for binding wires, slipped behind the sweat through a flat loop sewn to a rounder cord. You can use a bead, or leather strip with two holes punched into it, or a cordlock to secure and adjust the cord.

But I'd probably just go with a Tilley. They're all good, but I'm partial to the hemp ones. TH5 if a smaller brim is OK, TH4 if need more shade. The strap system (actually flat shoestring material) is extremely versatile and works in anything short of a hurricane.

Alternatively, for warmer weather, this from Quaker Marine - Transatlantic Roll-Up. I have two. The second one bought over a decade later in navy is better. Order one size larger (e.g. I'm usually L, but XL is best for me.)
http://quakermarine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=187

For cooler weather, something like yet better than a Greek Fisherman. I have one made somewhere in the French-speaking world, labeled "Camaret". Nice wool.

Not sure how other would see that, in case it matters, but a beret isn't at all a bad choice in cool weather. If a good fit, won't blow off and will shed water.

Take a look at old photos and engravings of mariners on square-riggers. You'll see caps and a few short-brimmed hats. There's a clue. A pleasure cruise may be different, but you may still want both hands to keep yourself onboard and none left for le chapeau.

- Bill

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Oh Bill, tis no pleasure sail! :D

I am required to work the entire time. I will be put on watch, (hopefully at night which would be awesome!) and I am required to do all the jobs a tall ship crew would do.

So I need a hat that looks awesome, makes a statement, but doesn't insult anyone or step on anyone's toes (like getting a captains hat).

I don't mind the Tilly hats, and I realize this may sound strange, but my dad has a Tilly and that's "his" hat. When we go on hikes everyone knows I'll be in the Adventurebilt Indy Fedora, and he'll be in his Tilly. Even though he's not on this sail, it would feel somehow wrong getting one......I realize how dumb that sounds. :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
crazylegsmurphy said:
I don't mind the Tilly hats, and I realize this may sound strange, but my dad has a Tilly and that's "his" hat. When we go on hikes everyone knows I'll be in the Adventurebilt Indy Fedora, and he'll be in his Tilly. Even though he's not on this sail, it would feel somehow wrong getting one......I realize how dumb that sounds. :)
What about getting a different model? I don't know which Tilley your father has but get a model which is different enough that you would not be copying your father. All of the hats they do (except for the fedora which is disliked here anyway) have chinstraps which would allow you to keep your hands free.

Topper

Vendor
This is Cowes week. There is only one hat to wear, if you are skipper or crew.

www.ascot-tophats.co.uk/images/breton.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot tell you if I sell them.....I can tell you that in stock I have all sizes from 55-62cm. And that the 62cm is only available without braid on the brim. The 55-61 only comes with braid.

Be warned of cheaper versions, as some are not all the same thickess wool or the braid is sewn nearly 1/2 way up the brim! rather then near the brim edge. Just doesn't look the same.

Commonly called a "skippers cap" or "fishermans cap" it is a traditional cap from Cornwall in England, to Breton in France, and over to Greece.

Topper

Vendor
number6 said:
Well a straw boater of course ( it will need a chinstrap though).

Boater more Henley nowdays : -) unles you wish to be a period JackTar on a Tall ship....

There again the actual name Boater was only used early 20th Cent. The JackTars never called them boaters.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
I see those boat hats sometimes when I am watching the "punt boats" walking around Oxford. They're definitely the thing to get for that, but I don't know if they're a good "high seas" hat as they don't seem very warm, or waterproof.

That Breton Cap is starting to grow on me for many reasons...one of course being that as a Canadian, it pays a bit of homage to my home country which I like.

I agree with you Topper. I have been looking around the net at different caps people are offering and there are some pretty ugly ones.

(eg. Link)

The photo you posted looks pretty cool. I am kind of a sucker for accuracy and don't mind paying for it, but I can't seem to find many photos/reference of what is exactly considered accurate. Obviously I don't want it to look like a costume hat, and so I'm willing to pay for quality (despite the not so amazing exchange rate).

Can anyone post links to some information on the caps and what makes a good one (or if you happen to know personally). As well, links to hats that can be purchased online that fit the bill would be greatly appreciated as well...or PM'd to me if that is against the rules.

I'm assuming that the rope that goes around the brim can be unhooked and used to keep on the hat in wind? What dates were these commonly used? Who typically wore them on a ship, and were only certain crew allowed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21