Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The toughest hat

Wolfevintage

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I am in the process of replacing another hat. I'm looking for something that is rugged, durable and rebuild able. From sandstorms to heavy rainstorms, I need a good fedora that can handle it all,and come out ready for more. Suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I am in the process of replacing another hat. I'm looking for something that is rugged, durable and rebuild able. From sandstorms to heavy rainstorms, I need a good fedora that can handle it all,and come out ready for more. Suggestions?

I think that the Stratton uniform hats deserve a look.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I have no direct experience but many folks here brag on the Akubra models.

Hello everyone,

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Hello everyone,

I’m a truck driver and a full-time world traveler and I go for hats that are exactly what you’ve described.

The best deal for the money on a modern hat that I have found is an Akubra. With full-time travel all over the world (in extreme heat, snow, rain, jungle safaris, desert expeditions, up into Himalayas, not to mention full-time over the road trucking work), a new Akubra will stay in top form for about two years in my experience. The hat lasts much longer than that but starts looking noticeably worn out at about the two year mark. Also the sweatbands start to shrink. But I can count on them for constant rough wear for about two years (I’ve worn two different Akubras this hard and they both held up great for two years).

For vintage, the best I have found is a 1950s Stetson 3x. The problem is that they are irreplaceable, so when it wears out, it’s gone. Of course, you can replace sweatbands and liners and ribbons but it won’t be exactly the same hat afterward. But nine times out of 10, the felt itself is bullet proof.

So if you just want the most rugged felt, I would recommend a 1950s Stetson 3X. If you want the most rugged all-around hat, it really is tough to do better than an Akubra without buying a custom made.

My experience only.

Akubra FED IV with two years of non-stop travel:
IMG_0297.jpeg

Stetson 3X with a year of non-stop travel plus one summer of full time OTR trucking work plus one month of hiking the Appalachian Trail:
IMG_0298.jpeg

You probably can’t see it in the photos, but the Stetson 3X felt is stained yet ready for more action. The Akubra felt is noticeably tired even though it could definitely still take more.

On the other hand, the Akubra inside is still golden whereas the Stetson 3X inside is exhausted.

Akubra:
IMG_0299.jpeg

Stetson 3X inside:
IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
One last word from me: if you want to spend a little more and go for a custom make, I can vouch for the ruggedness of my Northwest Hats 100% beaver fedora. I think I paid 400 for mine way back in late 2018 or early 2019 (can’t remember right now) but he has been my go-to travel hat ever since. Structurally he is still as sound today as he was the day I received him, and he’s been completely around the world once and spent an entire year on the truck with me as well as numerous trips to Europe and Asia. Can’t promise every hat Northwest makes would perform so well, but mine certainly has.

That box is at the bottom of a huge stack, so no photos right now.

Last edited:

Wolfevintage

New in Town
One last word from me: if you want to spend a little more and go for a custom make, I can vouch for the rugedness of my Northwest Hats 100% beaver fedora. I think I paid 400 for mine way back in late 2018 or early 2019 (can’t remember right now) but he has been my go-to travel hat ever since. Structurally he is still as sound today as he was the day I received him, and he’s been completely around the world once and spent an entire year on the truck with me as well as numerous trips to Europe and Asia. Can’t promise every hat Northwest makes would perform so well, but mine certainly has.

That box is at the bottom of a huge stack, so no photos right now.
Thank you so much for the write up,it certainly helps me make a decision. I go through the same things, and places for travel. Definitely worth looking into, with a few backups made.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thank you so much for the write up,it certainly helps me make a decision. I go through the same things, and places for travel. Definitely worth looking into, with a few backups made.
LOL - "a few backups." Yeah, me too - now I've got five Akubra "backups," 7 3x "backups" and 1 custom "backup". I'd say I'm good to go but I'm still shopping for more! :D

Best to you on your travels!

Plattso

New in Town
Hello everyone,

Assuming you want something already a fedora, that is, you're not into bashing. And you're not into treating with chemicals or oils/waxes, I'd say the Akubra Federation types are what you're looking for. Seems to be a known thing among the hat people, that those babies are tough.

Wolfevintage

New in Town
LOL - "a few backups." Yeah, me too - now I've got five Akubra "backups," 7 3x "backups" and 1 custom "backup". I'd say I'm good to go but I'm still shopping for more! :D

Best to you on your travels!
Sounds like the road I'm on! lol Bought four Millers, two vintage hats. Had an Akubra or two, went through them fast overseas. Though since I'm rather OCD and particular, I prefer one style,one color,one bash lol

Wolfevintage

New in Town
Assuming you want something already a fedora, that is, you're not into bashing. And you're not into treating with chemicals or oils/waxes, I'd say the Akubra Federation types are what you're looking for. Seems to be a known thing among the hat people, that those babies are tough.
Au contraire, I love bashing my own, one of the best parts of a new hat!

Plattso

New in Town
This is the sort of Stratton I find desirable. Those with the pattern of holes on the sides = not so much.
I could see bashing this baby to a teardrop. And I like the grommets for the chin strap.

Wolfevintage

New in Town
This is the sort of Stratton I find desirable. Those with the pattern of holes on the sides = not so much.
I could see bashing this baby to a teardrop. And I like the grommets for the chin strap.
I do wonder if they can make them without the strap grommets, might be worth a call.

Mm25

One Too Many
In that case, you might well look into those Stratton cop hats. They're on Ebay a lot and are bound to be tough, I bet.
They are tough, like a helmet. They may last much longer than you want to wear them. Just a consideration.

Edward

Bartender
I think that the Stratton uniform hats deserve a look.

They do look nice for the money, if they could do 'em without the holes in the brim for the chinstrap. I quite like the idea of one of the vented felt type with a puggaree.

They are tough, like a helmet. They may last much longer than you want to wear them. Just a consideration.

As in regular Western hat stiff, or solid-solid, moulded, like they'd break if crushed rather than soften over time?

I do wonder if they can make them without the strap grommets, might be worth a call.

I've heard tell that they have done in the past, but never got around to contacting them to see. I discovered them last year online (have looked at some on eBay, but the new eBay / USPS shipping charges there have all but killed the viability of 99% of purchases from the US for me). I'm still inclined toward the idea of one of their polystraws in forest green.

I'm a big fan of the Akubra Federation. Also, the Campdraft. The latter can be steamed into a Fedora shape, albeit it doesn't have a snap brim (I just steamed the brim on mine down at the front).

About the same price as the Federation, picked up one of these recently - https://www.hatcentre.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=141&search=antelope If you look at the 'post new hats here' thread, you'll see my post on it comparing it directly to the Fed IV. Crown is a very tiny bit more tapered at the top than the Fed, but not so much you'd spot it without comparing them directly side by side. Brim is 3" all round, about 1/4" wider than the Fed's at it's broadest. Not an optimal brim, which the Fed is. Otherwise a very similar vibe. The Hat Centre hat also has a wind trolley, which the fed does not. Not something I use often, but I like it as a detail. Out of the box, this hat is a noticeably thicker, yet softer felt than the Akubra. whereas the Akubra definitely needs steamed to bash it, this one I drybashed from open crown and it holds its shape beautifully. Would I recommend one over the other? Eh..... no. I love both. I do wish that this one had an identical crown to the Akubra, though it's really not different enough that anyone else would likely spot it. (My long-suffering wife would certainly roll her eyes at me as I pointed out these miniscule differences...). They do come in markedly different colourways, so both worth considering. Mine is navy blue, though I'm also weirdly tempted by the slightly lighter 'French navy' (more like an Airforce Blue). I'll mostly like weaken at some point and buy one each of the olive green and sable brown versions.

Now, I've only had this Hat centre hat since October, but I have confidence it'll last a good decade or more of regular wear without blinking. I recently bought my second dark brown Fed DLX IV just to have a 'nice' one "for good". My 2008 original Fed DLX III is perhaps not perfect now - though really, it's only flaws are a few moth nibbles and a badly yellowed interior from my sweaty hied. The new one was more an indulgence than anything, and will get worn out on Occasions with a nice suit, the original will be thrown on with gay abandon any time I'm off on a daily adventure.

Hello everyone,

what is your budget? If it fits, then a western weight beaver felt hat will last, is fully rebuildable numerous times and if you stay away from the 'Big Name,' expensive hatters it will return the investment to you.

Wolfevintage

New in Town
what is your budget? If it fits, then a western weight beaver felt hat will last, is fully rebuildable numerous times and if you stay away from the 'Big Name,' expensive hatters it will return the investment to you.
Definitely a good idea to inch towards a beaver western felt. But, in a fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner