Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tan/Copper Dobbs 20

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This Dobbs 20 recently arrived. The hat is in pristine condition, and the felt is medium thickness, soft and dense. Just beautiful. The color of the felt is a gorgeous shade of tan, and the ribbon is copper in color -- very unique, and complements the tan felt nicely. The height of the open crown is 5 5/8", and the brim is 2 3/4". I just love the weight of the felt and the proportions on a Dobbs 20, not to mention the Guild Edge...

DobbsOpenCrown-1.jpg

Dobbs20-1.jpg

DobbsLiner.jpg

DobbsSweat.jpg

DobbsTag.jpg

DobbsTag2.jpg

Dobbs20-2.jpg

Dobbs20-5.jpg

Dobbs20-4.jpg

Dobbs20-3.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Beautiful color combo Jimmy!! How do you compare the felt with your other Dobbs?

First off, many thanks for the nice comments, Gents! :)

Buler, I don't really have a large Dobbs stable. In addition to the two Dobbs 20's, I also have a Dobbs 100 and a Dobbs Gay Blade. Based on that small sampling, I can say that the Gay Blade has fairly average felt. It is a medium thickness, like the others, but not as smooth, dense or malleable. It is OK. The Dobbs 20's are a quantum leap up from the Gay Blade -- just beautiful felt, with all of the qualities I just mentioned. The Dobbs 100, as you can imagine, has all of the qualities that you would expect in a pure beaver lid -- super dense, smooth as glass, substantial feel. It's a beauty. Stylistically, the Dobbs 20's and the Dobbs 100 are the same.

Incidentally, while I'm on the topic of Dobbs 20's, I'll express my view that, in the world of mass-marketed hats, the "20" designation of any particular manufacturer's lid was pretty much top of the line. Yes, I'm well aware that there were designations above that, but I think they were much more rare. Remember, $20 for a lid back in the day was really a fair amount of cash. In terms of what was more readily available, I think $20 really marked a point where there was a substantial difference in quality. I know -- it's all subjective, but I think there may be something to it. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Digging the coloring on that one JtL, but you know the picture we want to see. Noggin shot! Noggin shot! Noggin shot! Noggin shot!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
...I think $20 really marked a point where there was a substantial difference in quality. I know -- it's all subjective, but I think there may be something to it. ;)

That sort of thinking makes my recent vintage purchases relatively good values - in the $10.00 range though ;) .

Love the copper colored ribbon!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Incidentally, while I'm on the topic of Dobbs 20's, I'll express my view that, in the world of mass-marketed hats, the "20" designation of any particular manufacturer's lid was pretty much top of the line. Yes, I'm well aware that there were designations above that, but I think they were much more rare. Remember, $20 for a lid back in the day was really a fair amount of cash. In terms of what was more readily available, I think $20 really marked a point where there was a substantial difference in quality. I know -- it's all subjective, but I think there may be something to it. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Very nice. I'm wondering if the Dobbs Twenty is the same hat as the Knox Twenty.

buler

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Very nice. I'm wondering if the Dobbs Twenty is the same hat as the Knox Twenty.

I just recently got 2 Knox Twenty's so I compared them with my Dobbs 20. They look identical to me. The only difference I could find was the bow tie was twisted on the Knox and straight folded on the Dobbs. All of them have that moldeable clay-like felt!

B

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
I just recently got 2 Knox Twenty's so I compared them with my Dobbs 20. They look identical to me. The only difference I could find was the bow tie was twisted on the Knox and straight folded on the Dobbs. All of them have that moldeable clay-like felt!

B

Interesting!

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy