Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tanker Jackets?

Speedster

Practically Family
Confusion re sizing...

My wife just gave me a Tanker Jacket (combined birthday and Xmas present) which i will be ordering soon from ELC. The 42 is in stock and the 44 and 46 is out of stock.

I have a question regarding sizing of the Buzz Rickson jackets. A friend of mine has a Buzz Rickson Tanker Jacket in size 42. He originally bought it in a size 40 as his A-2 from ELC was in size 40, but found it much too small. My Rough Wear A-2 from ELC is a size 44 and i am unable to squeeze into the size 40 A-2. But the Tanker Jacket in size 42 fits me as my A-2 in size 44. Tight vintage fit, but would not be able to wear much layering underneath.

This is very confusing as i have always thought that the japanese jackets were quite small and that i therefore should go up in size i.e. 46. But it looks like a size 42 fits me like a glove and a size 44 would allow layering.

Anybody have any experience with sizing of the Buzz Ricksons and how a tanker jacket should fit??

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Go for your correct size!

As the Tankers aren't made by ELC, they are a great fit.
I have a BR s42 and the fit is great- not big, or blousey at all.
Shoulders fit squarely and sleeves are nice and narrow- a great looking jacket.
The knit cuffs and waistband a excellent too.

(A size 40 Eastman A-2 should easily fit a normal s42 human, although arm length could be an issue.)

*M*A*S*H* and BR Tanker jackets fit true to size- at least up to s42 anyway.

Good luck!

B
T

JohnnyWire

New in Town
Hey Folks!
I'm from Germany and this is my first post. I'm really interested in a Buzz Rickson Tanker Jacket (Slash Pockets). Unfortunenatly there is only one british online shop, that offers one for 200pounds (~395 USD). But in Japan you get them for 29800 Yen, which is about 180€ (~240 USD).
I've read that some of you own a buzz rickson or mash tanker jacket and i wonder how you guys managed the order from japan, because i'm not able to read a word on those japanese shop pages.

If someone could help, that would be very kind!

Greetings from Germany
Simon

PS: Thanks for D-Day!!!

agbonny

New in Town
Who reads Japanese?

Hello All,
I'm new to your forum and find the chat most interesting. I found the Fedora Lounge forum through research on the US WWII Tanker Jacket. I'm currently in the market to purchase one for myself. I've seen many suggestions about looking at the MASH tanker's and looked at the site. What I've discovered is entirely in Japanese. Regrettably I don't have the ability to read Japanese. Is there an English version of the web site I'm missing? any help would be appreciated. -Alan

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
My question is about history, so if there's a more appropriate thread that will help me out, please point me in the right direction.

I've just rediscovered my grandmother's WWII scrapbook. Among the pictures of my grandfather are several in which he appears to be wearing a tanker's jacket. But I'm pretty sure the jacket has a single, high slit in the upper left, as though it has a breast pocket there. Am I confusing this garment with something else? He was in the USAAF, so maybe it's some kind of flight jacket I've never seen. It's certainly not a B-10.

-Dave

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking of buying a repro for my dad since he sometimes likes to wear short jackets, but ATF seems to be out of them until 2013.

Maj General J Lawton Collins during WW2, nice reference photo:

Maj Gen. Manton S Eddy:

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Just got a WWII Impressions tanker jacket via a fellow Fed Lounge member and the quality of the thing is amazing - excellent cloth, excellent stitching, very solidly made and quite wearable - strongly recommended!

For what it's worth here are my measurements for my 42R (including knits):
chest 27"
length 25.5"
back (horizontal) 21"
sleeve 23.5"
sleeve back neck over shoulder to cuff 35"

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Check this out www.wwiiimpressions.com

Tanker jacket 1.JPG Tanker jacket 2.jpg Tanker jacket 3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads