Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tanker Jackets?

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have a tanker jacket they could tell me about? I was looking at one on the At the Front site...which seems to be down at the moment or I would provide a link. Not having seen one in person I'm curious about how they fit, are they warm and anything else you might tell me.
Thanks...

tallyho

One of the Regulars
I can't tell you much about the quality of the repro, but I can tell you they are very warm. I think their official designation was "Winter Combat Jacket" so they were supposed to be warm. They were very sought after by infantry memebers. They were also used quite frequently by 8th AF fighter pilots before the B-10 and B-15 jackets were introduced since they were warmer than an A-2 and fighter cockpits were too small for B-3s.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have also wondered about the quality of At The Front's repro tanker jackets. For a mere $80, they sound like a heckuva buy... if they're well-made and reasonably accurate. Does anybody here have any experience with these?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My husband has a repro tanker jacket, but it isn't ATF. I believe it is SM Wholesale. I have worn it to a couple of cold weather events and I can say that it is pretty warm. If it were bitterly cold, you would need to layer under it, but it is pretty roomy so that shouldn't be a problem. If you have any type of a wool aversion, though, you probably won't like it. The wool collar is *very* scratchy. ATF's site says his import tankers are softer so maybe those would be more comfortable. The SM Wholesale jacket is a little more green than khaki, but accurate and nice nonetheless. It is a good jacket overall.

ATF stuff is generally pretty good as far as accuracy goes. I don't think Rollin would sell something that wasn't accurate. We have bought quite a bit from them and for the most part have been pleased with their merchandise, even the import stuff.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have a repro of the 1st model Tanker jacket(patch, rather than slash pockets), which is made by Buzz Rickson, a division of Toyo Industries, Japan.

Buzz Rickson have excellent repro leather flight jackets and repro, vintage American workwear.

My Tanker jacket is authentic and of excellent quality, is warm and looks great.
The patch pockets make it a little more interesting.

I have seen a sample from ATF and it seemed a little shapeless and not quite authentic. I think it's all the small details which go to making a (flight/vintage)jacket what it is- and if many of those details are omitted or incorrect(on a repro), then the overall impression is diluted- too far from authentic. The essence and effect is lost.

B
T

SGB

One of the Regulars
I have a Tanker from Real McCoys, one of the Band of Brothers used jackets, it's real warm, just what I need in stinkin' hot AZ. It's real nicely made of course, being a Real McCoy.

SGB

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, you could spend $500 on one... but for a cotton and wool jacket? The ones I have seen from the major WWII repro vendors are very accurate. The ones I have seen are not at all shapeless, and very authentic looking. It would be hard to improve on a tanker jacket.

One of my friends has an original. The next time I see him, I'll compare it to our SM Wholesale and let you know my findings. ;)

jake431

Practically Family
I just (literally a half hour or so ago) bought a Tanker Jacket made by MASH. Most of their reproductions are excellent, so I have high hopes. I'll let everyone know what I think when I receive it.

-Jake

nightandthecity

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
I have a repro of the 1st model Tanker jacket(patch, rather than slash pockets), which is made by Buzz Rickson, a division of Toyo Industries, Japan.

Buzz Rickson have excellent repro leather flight jackets and repro, vintage American workwear.

My Tanker jacket is authentic and of excellent quality, is warm and looks great.
The patch pockets make it a little more interesting.

I have seen a sample from ATF and it seemed a little shapeless and not quite authentic. I think it's all the small details which go to making a (flight/vintage)jacket what it is- and if many of those details are omitted or incorrect(on a repro), then the overall impression is diluted- too far from authentic. The essence and effect is lost.

B
T
so BR does the patch pocket model? I didn't know. I shall have to check that out (I've never been a slash pocket man).

green papaya

One Too Many
I just saw a tanker's jacket size Large at last Sunday's antique fair, it had a triangular armored division patch on the shoulder, US Army name tag, and a sub dued 101 AB screaming eagles patch on the other shoulder, the lining was some type of fleece! and it didnt have any maker's tags

it was only $10.00 and the seller also had an M65 field coat and a M51 field coat with the same soldiers name tags on it, the seller told me the owner was retired army with 30 years of service

I should have bought the tanker jacket, but I passed on it. all the jackets were only $10 each :(

jake431

Practically Family
MASH Tanker

Hey guys, my MASH tanker jacket just arrived here at work. I tried it on, and it fits, though it's too hot in the office to wear long enough to really get any impression. I'll try to take some photos tonight and post them. Stay tuned...

-Jake

jake431

Practically Family
Blackgrass said:
Jake...
What's the word on your Tanker? Impressions?

I like it, and I'll post some pics and measurements tonight. It fits differently than I expected. Most of my jacket fit experience is based on flight jackets, and it doesn't fit like the flight jackets I've worn. It's not a trim fitting jacket in the chest and body, which I was surprised by, considering that it's tagged a 40R. I normally wear a modern 42-44 suit jacket, and my flight jackets are sized from a 42 (BR L-2) to a 48 (RMNZ M-422a). And all of my flight jackets are tighter in the chest (but not tight, just less loose) than this Tanker jacket. It's quite warm, and it bears all the usual hallmarks of MASH items - very authentic materials, although I was expecting a wartime or wartime looking nickel talon, and it has a modern nickel puller with a triple marked stopper on cloth tape.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Eastman Tanker jackets, when they offered them, were made by MASH.

-Jake

Rundquist

A-List Customer
jake431 said:
I like it, and I'll post some pics and measurements tonight. It fits differently than I expected. Most of my jacket fit experience is based on flight jackets, and it doesn't fit like the flight jackets I've worn. It's not a trim fitting jacket in the chest and body, which I was surprised by, considering that it's tagged a 40R. I normally wear a modern 42-44 suit jacket, and my flight jackets are sized from a 42 (BR L-2) to a 48 (RMNZ M-422a). And all of my flight jackets are tighter in the chest (but not tight, just less loose) than this Tanker jacket. It's quite warm, and it bears all the usual hallmarks of MASH items - very authentic materials, although I was expecting a wartime or wartime looking nickel talon, and it has a modern nickel puller with a triple marked stopper on cloth tape.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Eastman Tanker jackets, when they offered them, were made by MASH.

-Jake

Although it may not be the case with regards to the tanker jacket, I know that the U.S. second generation WW2 cold weather gear was made to be worn in layers. The new stuff was supposed to be worn over the old gear. Cheers

jake431

Practically Family
First, the pics.

Front with flash:
IMG_0900.jpg

Front without:
IMG_0901.jpg

Front open to show Lining:
IMG_0902.jpg

Tag:
IMG_0905.jpg

Now, the measurements:

Chest - almost 26 inches from armpit to armpit

Shoulder - 20 1/2 inches from seam to seam

Back - almost 25 inches to bottom of knit

As you can see, the size is MUCH larger than tagged.

-Jake

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Actually, i got a used MASH tanker in a trade last winter.
As Fortworthgal mentioned, some of the repros seem too green.
I was happy tht the MASH jkt is a good solid khaki.

Mine is adorned w/ a regimental & divisional 17th airborne patches.

its warm.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Since I started this thread I thought I would report back in...
I bought a Tanker from At the Front and had it about a week. I got the Import model and I'm really happy with it. For the money I think it's a great deal and wouldn't hesitate recommending one.
I think it looks great on and has sort of a sharp military look without looking too military....not like Rambo walking around in a M-65! :rolleyes:
I've had several people ask about it and looking forward to the jacket picking up some wabi....it'll look even better.
At first I had the intention of moding it out to look like the jacket my grandfather would have worn in WWII but after learning a bit about his unit I discovered that it would be more authentic looking to leave it "sterile".

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also just got one of At The Front's imported tanker repros, and I have to say it's a helluva nice jacket for a mere $80!

Mind you, I can't speak to its accuracy, as I've never seen/handled an original WW II tanker. But it seems very well made, the materials are excellent (though I suspect that the knits are a wool blend, not 100% wool), and the fit is good... though the arms seem cut very wide and the sleeves are long. Are all tankers made like this, to provide ease of movement in a cramped tank or for handling weapons/gear?

(Of course, as I've stated before, I generally buy a size larger than I really need for my shoulders/chest to get a big enough waist - and the sleeves are almost always longer than I need. Still, the sleeves on this jacket seem a bit long compared to the body length.)

In any case, between the action back and generously cut arms, it's very, very comfortable. And toasty warm for its light weight: the zip-all-the-way knit collar is probably the warmest neck closure of any of my military jackets.

Alas, we're in the midst of an unusual warm spell in the NYC area - midday temps have regularly been around 60 - so it's actually too warm to wear this jacket, and I want to wear my A-2s as much as I can before the deep freeze hits... But I think I'm going to be wearing this tanker A LOT during the winter!

Anyway, if you're not concerned with mega-accuracy, I'd say that for their very reasonable price, At The Front's imported tankers are very solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass