Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tanker Jackets?

some guy

New in Town
I got one off Epic Militaria in the UK- pretty happy with it, although I have had to replace the zip runner with a more solid one. I'm not concerned with accuracy (and I don't know how accurate it is...) but I like the style and it's pretty warm and windproof.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Monsoon said:
ATF has them on sale right now for $99.
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one of their mackinaws. The Canadian dollar has weakened lately against the US dollar so that 30% off sale price was most welcome.
some guy said:
I got one off Epic Militaria in the UK- pretty happy with it, although I have had to replace the zip runner with a more solid one. I'm not concerned with accuracy (and I don't know how accurate it is...) but I like the style and it's pretty warm and windproof.
Like you I don't worry overmuch about accuracy as long as it's generally in the ballpark.

zhz

Practically Family

I'm not concerned with accuracy, but the quality of the jacket. I came across the Tank jacket by Epic, it looks identical to the one sold by SoL, but costs £5 more. Also, the price on ebay is £10 more, is there any difference?

some guy

New in Town
I'm not concerned with accuracy, but the quality of the jacket. I came across the Tank jacket by Epic, it looks identical to the one sold by SoL, but costs £5 more. Also, the price on ebay is £10 more, is there any difference?
I think they put the ebay price up to cover the charges from ebay and paypal. I can't comment on the Sol one (link?) But the EM quality is ok - as good as any other high street/casual cloth jacket for similar money. As I mentioned though, I did replace the zip slider with a more robust one after having problems with the zip unzipping below the slider. A local seamstress showed me how to squeeze the original slider to stop it happening and said she'd charge a fiver to fit a new one, but it was an easy repair so I did it myself.
edit: I got mine through their website, was a good service.

How does the sleeve length run on these jackets?
Not sure about tankers in general, but I have a 46" chest/5'11" and the EM XL jacket fits well, and the sleeves are a perfect length.

zhz

Practically Family
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/tankers-jacket-product,4235 this is the link to SoL tank repro.

I think they put the ebay price up to cover the charges from ebay and paypal. I can't comment on the Sol one (link?) But the EM quality is ok - as good as any other high street/casual cloth jacket for similar money. As I mentioned though, I did replace the zip slider with a more robust one after having problems with the zip unzipping below the slider. A local seamstress showed me how to squeeze the original slider to stop it happening and said she'd charge a fiver to fit a new one, but it was an easy repair so I did it myself.
edit: I got mine through their website, was a good service.

Not sure about tankers in general, but I have a 46" chest/5'11" and the EM XL jacket fits well, and the sleeves are a perfect length.

some guy

New in Town
Yeah, looks very similar. I think the colours inside are artefacts from jpeg compression? The knits are very similar in colour to the cotton, and as it mentions on that link it has an unissued look about it - ie, shiny new. Seems a good price.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
AustinTX said:
How does the sleeve length run on these jackets?
Although I'm only superficially familiar with these jackets, from what I can garner when the sizing is done with historical accuracy then it means wide chest & short arms, or very much a Regular size. The original jackets came in "letter" sizes only, although some reproductions come in number sizes. I have listed a few measurements below.

Here's for WWII Impressions jackets:
42R = chest 27" length 25" sleeve 36" (I own this jacket)

Here's for ATF (chest measures from Gina at ATF, length and sleeve from their website):
M = chest 22" length 25" sleeve 34"
L = chest 24" length 26" sleeve 35"
XL = chest 26" length 27" sleeve 37"

EDIT: some corrected measurements for WWII Impressions jacket, now that it's back from dry cleaners

Last edited:

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Although I'm only superficially familiar with these jackets, from what I can garner when the sizing is done with historical accuracy then it means wide chest & short arms, or very much a Regular size. The original jackets came in "letter" sizes only, although some reproductions come in number sizes. I have listed a few measurements below.

Here's for WWII Impressions jackets:
42R = chest 27" length 25.5" sleeve 35" (I own this jacket)

Here's for ATF (chest measures from Gina at ATF, length and sleeve from their website):
M = chest 22" length 25" sleeve 34"
L = chest 24" length 26" sleeve 35"
XL = chest 26" length 27" sleeve 37"

Thanks for the info.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I got my WWII Impressions back from the dry cleaners and was able to take some more accurate measurements - see the edit to my post with the measurements. I was able to wear it for a while today and although it fits, the chest is HUGE for a 42 which means it fits my tall/thin frame oddly.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I have a Buzz Tanker (slash pocket) in a 42R. Torso is roomy and fits as labelled (I typically wear a Vintage 44 A-2 or a 46 in more slender patterns).
I'd advise caution with the length though. My Buzz is 'regular' and works well with my usual trousers (Old Town High Rise or Vauxhalls); with more modern cut jeans it barely covers my buckle.
Very practical jacket though. I swapped an excellent Buzz B-10 for it and haven't regretted it. A more subtle, warm Wind cheater.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Another thing which bothers me is how the wool lining is doubled several times due to the bi-swing back and meeting under the shoulder seam, which means there's a very thick ridge of multiple layers of cotton and wool running along the shoulder seam from neck outwards, right where the weight of the jacket presses down on the shoulders (my shoulders, at least). My shoulders are kind of bony and that seam digs in. Perhaps over a sweater it might not be an issue, but worn over a shirt it's uncomfortable. This is of course how the jackets were made so I guess it's unavoidable... also unavoidable is my trip to the thrift shop this afternoon.

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
I have the WWII Impressions Tanker jacket, in my opinion it is the best available (apart from Buzz Rickson, which has a lining that is too lightweight). The Buzz jackets are too short for me, so the WWII Impressions worked for me wonderfully.
I am 6'3" tall (190cm) and I ordered size 42L. Originals were not made in even chest sizes and not in taller or shorter length, but I wanted this to account for shrinkage due to my height. In the past I have ordered tanker jackets from other sources, and after washing they are always too short for me. The last batch made by WWII Impressions featured a limited number of jackets made in longer length.
Here are photographs to show the difference. And I do wash these in a washing machine, but with care and caution as to how it is done (my background is in textiles). Once washed the fabric shrinks a little, as is to be expected. I find that it shrinks just enough to where the jacket then fits me as I want it to fit.

Before washing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/thumpersean/IMG_3926_zps1042318a.jpg

After washing (note the sleeve cuff in particular):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/thumpersean/IMG_3927_zps8768a6c5.jpg

After washing it looks more like my original example, and like others I have seen.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Just got my Buzz MK 2 Tanker thanks to the weak Yen. Really pleased. Agree with DR H that the fit is generous, and so after a chat with the ever helpful Rob at Eastmans I went for a 42R on basis of my 42R N1 (non-demotex). Tanker gives the snug fit I wanted on shoulders etc with a nice short back and ideal arms (I'm 5' 9" and normally a 44/46 in anything at all slender) I got a BR CPO recently in a 44R and it is, not surprisingly, very snug on me! So,I hope the boiled wool is truly not gonna shrink!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the WWII Impressions Tanker jacket, in my opinion it is the best available (apart from Buzz Rickson, which has a lining that is too lightweight). The Buzz jackets are too short for me, so the WWII Impressions worked for me wonderfully.
I am 6'3" tall (190cm) and I ordered size 42L. Originals were not made in even chest sizes and not in taller or shorter length, but I wanted this to account for shrinkage due to my height. In the past I have ordered tanker jackets from other sources, and after washing they are always too short for me. The last batch made by WWII Impressions featured a limited number of jackets made in longer length.
Here are photographs to show the difference. And I do wash these in a washing machine, but with care and caution as to how it is done (my background is in textiles). Once washed the fabric shrinks a little, as is to be expected. I find that it shrinks just enough to where the jacket then fits me as I want it to fit.

Before washing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/thumpersean/IMG_3926_zps1042318a.jpg

After washing (note the sleeve cuff in particular):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/thumpersean/IMG_3927_zps8768a6c5.jpg

After washing it looks more like my original example, and like others I have seen.

Care to share how you wash the tanker?;)

Foster

One of the Regulars
I washed it in a machine on a gentle cycle (the most gentle option available is recommended, which varies by machine). Cold water wash and rinse.
Place in dryer on tumble dry with no heat at first. After maybe 20-30 minutes switch to low heat. Once mostly dry a medium heat is ok until all is dry. Remove lint frequently, as there will be quite a bit of it generated from the wool.
Ironing may be necessary after being dried. The fabric covering the zipper usually needs a little ironing to lay flat again.

The main thing is to avoid heat and severe agitation.

CBI

One Too Many
My ATF fits me perfectly, I need to take some pics and it was something like $70 new. In re washing, my best results have been: soak in hot water in sink, work it with your hands, wring out. Zip it up, turn it inside out and place in dryer on regular heat (with one or two bath towels) checking it about every 30 mins. Once the inside feels pretty dry, turn it back right side out and dry it until completely dry before removing. This will give it a nice used look and will take away some of the new "sheen". (The hot water does this, IMO, no need to actually put it in the washer). Drying it fully gives the lining that nice broken in feel/look. It did shrink a bit but that was fine. All of the seams tighten a little which adds to the aged look. In the case of this jacket (and other cloth military jackets) and something I might suggest in re fit is I had it altered at the tailors for $50. Had the sleeves shortened, tapered and the body width brought in a bit so the fit is perfect. This can be done somewhat easily by a good tailor. I did the same wash/dry with a Goodwear Tanker. I wish I would have kept it and had it altered but it was too big for me overall. Now THAT was an accurate repro!!! GW does not make them as a regular sale item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo