Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tapered brim width?

Lynx

New in Town
I have seen in some places where a brim on a fedora is listed at back brim width and front brim width. this doesn't quite make sense to me and am assuming that the measurements were taken with the curl in the back. I figured I would ask those more knowledgeable than I whether in a fedora there is such a thing as actual tapered brim width? Where the brim flat in the back is say 2" and in the front 2 3/4" ? If so why would it be made this way. I was under the assumption that the brim width would be uniform around the entirety of the hat ?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's called a dimensional brim. They're not super-common, but they were seen on various models of vintage hats. Depending on the model, some were narrower on the sides than the front and back, others were the opposite. In the '60s some makers did a "robin hood" type brim, narrow and heavily curved in the back, wider in the front. But they are definitely the exception rather than the rule.

You see dimensional brims mainly on Indiana Jones replica hats, where the sides are narrower than the front and back.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Many hats are dimensional in that the sides are smaller or larger than the front and back. I have seen some hats where the front brim is wider than the back though it isn't common. The dimensional look can make the hat look less wide (if the sides are smaller) while still providing more protection from the elements in the front and back.

Lynx

New in Town
thanks for the information, I figured it would have to rare if it existed at all.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou