Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I find Tarantino to be a bit of a one trick pony.

I'll probably go to this though as it seems like a departure from his previous efforts.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Weird little annecdote here:

I was in a restaurant in the south of Spain called Langoistino or something, late September/ early October 2003, with my wife on our honeymoon.

There was one other couple in the restaurant with us (off-season, late sitting) and it was Quentin Tarentino :)eek:) and a lady friend.

He kept looking over and we are to this day kind of kicking ourselves we didn't say anything and/or joiin them for a drink.

Strange, but true.

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
I think because he did not direct it.

While not directed by Tarrantino, True Romance certainly bears his fingerprints all over it in the writing. See, for example, the lead character's love of obscure martial arts films, as well as myriad pop culture references such as Elvis' spiritual appearance. :)

If memory serves, QT licenced the TR movie rights in order to raise the funds to make Reservoir Dogs, a film which in turn did much to tip me off to the value of a sharp suit!

Feraud

Bartender
Edward said:
While not directed by Tarrantino, True Romance certainly bears his fingerprints all over it in the writing. See, for example, the lead character's love of obscure martial arts films, as well as myriad pop culture references such as Elvis' spiritual appearance. :)
I agree Tarantino's fingerprints are all over True Romance. Also in this film see a pre Sopranos James Gandolfini playing a tough guy.
In terms of discussing Tarantino's body of work I think TR is overlooked because the association in people's minds are with Tarantino as a director. Similarly Natural Born Killers is based on his story but rarely mentioned in context of his work. Oliver Stone apparently changed enough of the story to remove the Tarantino connection in the minds of viewers.

I will take a wait and see attitude about IB.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
The Cruise kerfuffle was, AFAIK, over him being a Scientologist (and the controversies relating to that particular movement) portraying a man who is regarded as a national hero in modern Germany. I should expect this will be quite different - more along the lines of the usual objections to the portrayal of Wehrmacht soliders as a nuch of twp-dimnesional, evil Nazis. Mind you, given Tarrantino's other work, where noone is espcially black or white, and even the most crazed (see, for example, Vic Vega aka Mr Blonde) display honourable traits.... I can also see a lot of scope for a pop-culture take on the dehumanising effects of such combat - "he who fights monsters" and all that.

I thought, from the post, that the objection was to American brutality.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
Let's keep this apolitical and concentrate on film criticism.

This is a remake, so for a clue to the plot, check this out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076584/

Sadly, Tarantino hasn't made an all around good film since "Jackie Brown," where he was showing some real maturity and depth in his character development.

But the story wasnt his. That was from an Elmore Leonard novel.
KillBill on the other hand was all his work.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MrBern said:
But the story wasnt his. That was from an Elmore Leonard novel.
KillBill on the other hand was all his work.
That's true of course, but I was talking about his directing and not writing. When I talk about someone making a good film, I give the primary responsibility to the director.

As to "Kill Bill," I loved both films, but I could not, with a straight face, argue that they were good films. I would call them stylish genre farces.

B

BAZ

The Sin City comics blew me away when they were FIRST published in '91 (I was working on a cruise ship with no friends, comics were my life!!) and I read, and re-read them constantly!!! STILL regard them as my faves!
NOW........... the movie?!?!!
I STILL haven't seen it. To me, it was useless to TRY to make these comics as live action (a similar view I hold for Watchmen).
And the fact that it's all green screen just spoils it for me. Why can't you have Marv walking down a REAL street, with REAL rain, using heavy noir lighting, actually making the movie in the style the comics were originally influenced by!?!?
Sorry........ just ranting...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran