Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds

Story

I'll Lock Up
A leaked script of Quentin Tarantino's World War II drama Inglorious Bastards already is stirring up controversy for scenes of vengeful Americans bashing, scalping, shooting and strangling German soldiers.

What began as an internet murmur has gone mainstream with a recent newspaper article by Tobias Kneibe, film editor of the Suddeutsche Zeitung. He predicts that the project could have an explosive effect similar to that of Tom Cruise's World War II drama Valkyrie, which initially was barred from filming in certain locations and has already been savaged in the German media even though it doesn't hit theatres until 2009.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/08/2357881.htm?section=entertainment

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
I think that the uproar over Valkyrie has more to do with Tom Cruise being a practicing Scientologist than with the script.

NH

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pittbasterds.jpg

Edward

Bartender
The Cruise kerfuffle was, AFAIK, over him being a Scientologist (and the controversies relating to that particular movement) portraying a man who is regarded as a national hero in modern Germany. I should expect this will be quite different - more along the lines of the usual objections to the portrayal of Wehrmacht soliders as a nuch of twp-dimnesional, evil Nazis. Mind you, given Tarrantino's other work, where noone is espcially black or white, and even the most crazed (see, for example, Vic Vega aka Mr Blonde) display honourable traits.... I can also see a lot of scope for a pop-culture take on the dehumanising effects of such combat - "he who fights monsters" and all that.

B

BAZ

Story said:
A leaked script of Quentin Tarantino's World War II drama Inglorious Bastards already is stirring up controversy for scenes of vengeful Americans bashing, scalping, shooting and strangling German soldiers.
War makes good men do bad things, no matter what side you are on.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
Let's keep this apolitical and concentrate on film criticism.

This is a remake, so for a clue to the plot, check this out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076584/

Sadly, Tarantino hasn't made an all around good film since "Jackie Brown," where he was showing some real maturity and depth in his character development.

Actually, my comment was a film critique. Let's not do the generic heroic thing every time we make a film, let's see something different! I applaud that.

Also, Death Proof was awesome. That was in 2007.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Actually, my comment was a film critique. Let's not do the generic heroic thing every time we make a film, let's see something different! I applaud that.

Also, Death Proof was awesome. That was in 2007.
I liked "Death Proof" too, a lot, and I enjoyed watching it, but I don't think I could make the argument that it was a great film. I could do so for "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction" and even, "Jackie Brown."

I am worried that Quentin is ultimately just a genre hack who used up all of his talents in his first few films. I would like to see him direct something serious and with substance.

I think it goes back to the old film critic's argument between whether you like a film or whether it was a good film. Liking a film is an opinion and no one is more of an authority of their own opinion than the person with that opinion. You cannot argue people from their opinions.

However, if we can all agree that there are certain criterion that equal a good film, then we can have a common ground discussion as to whether a certain film meets it.

I loved "Death Proof." It had style, great music, interesting characters, but I don't expect to see it on any AFI lists, ever.

B

BAZ

I actually found "Jackie Brown" to be slow, boring and quite pedestrian. In fact, I "gave up" on Tarantino after that.
Haven't seen anything he's made since.

Gnslngr

New in Town
This thread seems to have veered off but while we're on the subject of Tarantino's films, did no one like Kill Bill, pts. 1& 2? I thought it had elements of genius in it. Then again, the wife says I'm hardly a maven of taste in cinema.....

Edward

Bartender
I liked Kill Bill a lot. The second one was more quintessentially Tarrantino, IMO, than the first, but I did enjoy both. I do think he's very much a genre-artist, which is what I enjoy about his work: the fact that he can take a genre, deconstruct it to its basic elements, and then rebuild those into an entertaining, and accurate, homage intrigues me. It'll certainly be interesting to see what he does with the WW2 genre... not least following his comments about not wanting to make a "period piece" per se.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, I think that "Pulp Fiction" transcended genre and ended up creating one of its own, that directors like Guy Ritchie have plumbed for their work. "PF" was so full of allusion, clever dialogue, character development, and cohesive, yet non-linear story-telling that it clearly emerged as one of the best films of the decade.

For "Jackie Brown" he toned down the style, but amped up the character development and tied in all of these character's themes into one forward narrative thrust; the quest for slightly too old players to make one last score and thus achieve some measure of safety, or redemption, if you will. It hinted at a more mature style to come, which was not to be.

Who knows what we'll get with this film.

Heather

Practically Family
Gnslngr said:
This thread seems to have veered off but while we're on the subject of Tarantino's films, did no one like Kill Bill, pts. 1& 2? I thought it had elements of genius in it. Then again, the wife says I'm hardly a maven of taste in cinema.....

How come when the subject of Tarantino's movies come up, no one ever mentions True Romance? That movie is brilliant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21