Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure where I would rank Tarantino as a filmmaker since nothing he's produced up until now would ever make my favorites list, but do find myself watching them repeatedly. Can't help it.

When at the beginning of the trailer where they say "dropped into France dressed as civilians", I thought maybe is was going to be based on a book I read this year; "The Jedburghs" but that doesn't appear to be the case, this looks like a real bloodbath.

Story

I'll Lock Up
conrad5157 said:
When at the beginning of the trailer where they say "dropped into France dressed as civilians", I thought maybe is was going to be based on a book I read this year; "The Jedburghs" but that doesn't appear to be the case, this looks like a real bloodbath.

Nope, it's a remake.. err, "homage" to this 1977 film (think 'ultra-violent Hogan's Heros', Spaghetti Western style)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yxOOwqHl1Q
Looks like they filmed it in Yugoslavia, a la Kelly's Heroes.

MrBern said:
Yeah, gawker.com posted it, but gave it a snub:
But it seems like they really couldnt stand BJNovak.

From the comments :
I can't stand BJ Novak. I know intellectually it is an irrational hatred, since I really only hate his character on The Office. But it's a deep, burning hatred unlike anything I have ever felt for a fictional character, and plus he has buggy eyes.
rofl.gif

CopperNY

A-List Customer
ok, i'll see it. looks like fun.

on True Romance:

awesome. incredible performances and great writing. the head-to-head between Hopper and Walken should be more of a movie icon than it's given recognition for.

Pulp Fiction:

his magnum opus. everything came together. still like TR better, but there's no denying PF as a classic.

Kill Bill:

interesting, but forgettable. what ruined it for me was my friends into asian cinema showing me the scenes that QT chopped together shot for shot from Japanese B-movies and called his own.

Corky

Practically Family
Tarantino is afflicted with The Orson Welles Syndrome

Sadly, Quentin Tarantino's career arc is following that of Welles. The Brad Pitt WWII film is only the latest symptom of this affliction.

Both started off as Wonder Kids who looked like they were going to completely revolutionize cinema, and in a sense both of them pulled off that trick early in their careers.

Just as Orson Welles drifted off into self-parody and endless appearances on the Dick Cavett show and Wine Commercials, Tarantino has found new ways to waste his talent such as being a guest judge on American Idol.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Might it be a dark comedy?

Quentin Tarantino's resent work, Death Proof for example, has had a strong camp value.

Do you guys think it's possible he's spoofing the WW2 genre in a manner similar the approach Tropic Thunder to with the Vietnam movie genre?

That would seem like a project both Tarantino and Pitt would be into.

kiltie

Practically Family
Brad Pitt, though in a few very watchable movies, may be the most overrated actor of all time, ever. Really. I don't think he could act sad if someone ran over his dog right in front of him. He's a distraction that jars you out of the magic of the movie experience. Case in point: Who has an accent like Pitt in the peek above? Oh, it's supposed to be a stylized portrayal, you say? Then give it some freakin' style, not do a caricature of someone ( everyone ) else's caricature. He emotes like a highschool sophomore doing Hamlet and his inflection is one self aware step away from monotone.
I'm as amped as any QT fan to see how this is going to pan out, but Pitt is a poor, poor choice. QT coulda dipped into his stable and pulled out Bruce Willis ( who at least has the ability to give the impression that he's capable of doing the things Pitt is describing - maybe he's somewhere else in the movie? ), Tim Roth ( same [ see: The Incredible Hulk ] ), Kurt Russell ( Stuntman Mike? ) or whipped out some Z grade hasbeen/neverwillbe as he has done in the past.
Brad pitt poses well, and his duds look cool in the publicity still. That's it.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Guttersnipe said:
Quentin Tarantino's resent work, Death Proof for example, has had a strong camp value.

Do you guys think it's possible he's spoofing the WW2 genre in a manner similar the approach Tropic Thunder to with the Vietnam movie genre?

That would seem like a project both Tarantino and Pitt would be into.

:D Hey you might be on to something. Brad pitt certainly sounds like a parody.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
CopperNY said:
now i'm also thinking that it may be a parody of violence itself.

Peckinpaugh's "The Wild Bunch" anyone?
I am a one of the unfortunates who consider Tarantino a genius, although I really don't want to since he is such an arrogant Basterd (sic). Given his track record, I would guess this film will be a parody of WWII movies, a statement about violence and revenge, and at the same time celebrating the tradition of war movies and revenge pictures in cinema, To me, QT seems to always rise above the exploitation roots of his movies and bring the "B movie" genre into the realm of art.

As far as Brad Pitt goes, I think any time a director lets him "off-leash" and into a quirky role he is fascinating to watch. His roles in "12 Monkeys" and "Snatch" are good examples of this. I think that there is a really good character actor lurking under that pretty boy face.

As with all QT movies, the controversy will be as interesting to watch as the movie itself. I'm looking forward to both.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
BAZ said:
I actually found "Jackie Brown" to be slow, boring and quite pedestrian. In fact, I "gave up" on Tarantino after that.
Haven't seen anything he's made since.

So glad it wasn't just me Baz. I'd prefer to watch 'The friends of Eddie Coyle'
or 'the Taking of Pelham 123' or 'Things to do in Denver when you're Dead'.

I though Brad Pitt was excellent in Kalifornia.......

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Snatch.
12 Monkeys.
Fight Club.

the man -can- be brilliant, but it seems that in Hollywood, once you get to a certain level of 'fame' you are cast to portray yourself rather than a character.

sometimes you get hired because you can act, sometimes you get hired because someone wants Brad Pitt in the movie [cue theme music].

and i'd almost forgotten his cameo in True Romance as the stoner room mate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran