Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Don't know if I would agree that Tarrantino's films are all "Popcorn" flicks at all but this one is sure to be a "bloody popcorn" movie.

Kelly's Heroes/The Dirty Dozen meets Kill Bill.

It looks to be beautifully filmed, anyway.

It'll be fun.

B
T

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I used not minded violence in films but lately if it is too graphic, I am turned off by it.

Tartentino always goes way over the top. While I love this quirky dialogue, watching people's brains get bashed in in loving detail makes me want to wait until it is "edited for TV."

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Brian Sheridan said:
I used not minded violence in films but lately if it is too graphic, I am turned off by it.

Tartentino always goes way over the top......watching people's brains get bashed in in loving detail makes me want to wait until it is "edited for TV."

That's his whole problem: he has no class, as a director.
Rob

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have some friends who work as projectionists - They saw the movie and got the idea it was a spoof. I've read some reviews from critics that had the same idea, but as I've only seen the tagline and synopsis I'm not actually sure. As said, Tarantino does tend to go overboard - I haven't seen any of his work yet that wasn't at least a little bit in bad taste.

Anyhow, thats why I asked! :)

Edward

Bartender
It seems to me, only having seen the promos so far, to be at least a pastiche of sixties war movies, verging on parody of the old sixties war movies. As such, I suspect it's already in rather better taste than many of those, which frankly could often have passed for pure propaganda pieces.

Edward

Bartender
I've been amused by the coy nature of the television advertising for this film in the UK. The TV spots all refer to it as simply Inglorious - after 9pm, the word 'Basterds' is visible on-screen, but not spoken as part of the title, while before 9 it is replaced by a row of 'bullet holes'. This morning on the tube I notice for the first time that the poster on the wall doesn't have any title at all for the film - just a blank space. London Transport is notoriously prudish when it comes to advertisements (they've turned down swimwear ads for Miss Selfridge before now because they featured girls in bikinis, though nudes are apparently just fine if they're for the National Gallery and 200 odd year old paintings...), but I found it amusing they even cut out the word 'Inglorious' - maybe because of the Nazi device that is incorporated into the 'O'? [huh]

Just a couple more days til UK release now...

Feraud

Bartender
Edward said:
It seems to me, only having seen the promos so far, to be at least a pastiche of sixties war movies, verging on parody of the old sixties war movies. As such, I suspect it's already in rather better taste than many of those, which frankly could often have passed for pure propaganda pieces.
Agreed. The film is no doubt a spoof/homage to the types of films Tarantino is a fan of. There are many of us who were raised on these types of film. Maybe it's a guy thing or having been raised in a certain time/place. I tend to like most of his work. The horrible Death Proof being an exception..

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
Agreed. The film is no doubt a spoof/homage to the types of films Tarantino is a fan of. There are many of us who were raised on these types of film. Maybe it's a guy thing or having been raised in a certain time/place. I tend to like most of his work. The horrible Death Proof being an exception..

Heh.... I mostly agree, except that I loved Death Proof. Actually, I really loved the whole Grindhouse cocept, and I was a ticke off as QT himself when the distributors refused to go with it for the UK / European markets. Fortunately I got to see it in its intened form at a rep cinema in the West End. I still wish they'd bring outg a DVD qith an option to see it that way. They did in Japan (a six disk collectors' edition), but alas I've only seen that on eBay, once, and going for silly money.

Feraud

Bartender
The Grindhouse concept was a good idea. I think Death Proof suffered from too much chit-chat and not enough Kurt Russell and his auto. :)
Robert Rodriguez rocked his part of the double feautre with Planet Terror. It was campy and gory in that unbelievably bad but good way. PT also had a great cast.

I am hoping Machete with Danny Trejo is as good as the trailer.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Nazi Villain ultimate Tarantino creation

FYI
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/movies/16lim.html

Austrian actor portraying villain in IngloriusBasterds wins best-actor prize at Cannes.

16lim_650.jpg

Tarantino onthe character: “I knew Landa was one of the best characters I’ve ever written and probably one of the best characters I will ever write.” “I literally had to consider I might have written an unplayable part.”
Mr. Waltz admitted to being initially bewildered by Mr. Tarantino’s script...
Mr. Waltz, who auditioned mere hours after Mr. Tarantino told his producers he was ready to pull the plug on the project, is a true discovery, an actor who had long been overlooked within the German-speaking world and was a total unknown outside.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Meh, I don't put too much faith in movie reviews.

You won't really know if it's good or not until you see it for yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy