1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Tatton Baird Hatters

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Andykev, Jan 5, 2017.

1. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

FWIW, Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works is going to be making my next hat with a selection of vintage fabrics that I sourced myself. It's going to very much NOT be a classically styled hat, so, I too, would encourage you to reach out.

2. JessieJames

JessieJames One of the Regulars

how did you source them? You found the materials and sent it to him?

3. jlee562

Yup, I sourced some Japanese boro fabric for the band, NOS silk for the liner, and fabric trim for the binding. All on etsy, actually.

4. JessieJames

JessieJames One of the Regulars

That sounds like it'll be beautiful, I love the attention to detail you clearly have exactly a model in mind. Post it when it's it's done!

jlee562 likes this.
  5. Terminator

Terminator New in Town

That sounds amazing, and pretty much my cup of tea for a hat or two’s time.

First, I would like something similar to a Stetson OR with cattleman crease. To date, I’ve been considering TB (based on @dudewhattheheck’s good experience) or Wellema.

However, this talk of Art Fawcett, Gannon, etc has me thinking. Is there a definitive list of independent makers I should be considering?

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-fur-felt-fedora-hatmakers-and-hatters.77957/

Goes without saying, but this is not an endorsement of every hatter listed, and some of the hatters are much better than others. A couple of years a go I ordered a hat from a maker on the list and it was absolutely terrible. Buyer beware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Terminator likes this.
  7. jlee562

In contrast to Brent's post, I will wholeheartedly endorse Art Fawcett. He's retiring at the end of the year, and his work is coveted by many for good reason.

To keep this on topic, I sure do hope someone shows up with a Tatton Baird lid around here. I'd definitely like to see the detail work. Or really just more examples in general. That Tatton Baird website might as well just not exist for all the good it does at offering pictures or info.

8. deadlyhandsome

Jared, I hope it didn’t come across that I was saying anything against Art! I still have one more hat in his queue and I love his work. I just wanted to emphasize that the list was not a list of hatters that all had the Lounge’s “endorsement.” I’ll add that I would like to see a review of a Tatton Baird hat. I don’t have any immediate plans to go through Utah, but I’ll stop by when I do.

9. jlee562

Oh, of course not. I almost said "..surely Brent would also endorse," but got lazy because I hate tablet typing (still need to post my defense of skinny jeans in the "how do folks react..." thread :D:p:D, just never at a pc for long enough). But wanted to highlight Art, because if I were a newbie considering hatters, the limited window to get one from VS might be a swaying factor.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  10. deadlyhandsome

Whew! That’s a relief. I’ll let you get back to your defense of skinny jeans...not a good look for me personally as a middle aged man carrying more than a little extra weight. On the right person I’m sure, but I’m not him.

11. Terminator

Terminator New in Town

Thanks chaps! The list is helpful, even with the “buyer beware” caveat. The funny thing is that neither TB or Wellema are on it!

@dudewuttheheck has a TB, how do I @ him?

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  12. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

You figured it out so here I am :) I have one and am quite happy with it, though I am definitely more knowledgeable about leather jackets and boots than I am about hats so I cannot compare it to much except Stetsons and other similar hats I've handled in person.

13. Terminator

Terminator New in Town

Thanks mate! Care to share any photos? How was the process? You got to meet with Chandler right?