Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tatton Baird Hatters

1 is done and getting packed to ship on Monday, the other within the next week he said. ;)
When I inquired with Covi by phone she said all emails first run thru Chandler, then he usually passes them to her to reply. It took at least a couple wks but a reply finally came from Chandler saying they would be happy to take my order to make but had nothing on the rack in my size. Since he & I wear the same size I was somewhat disappointed that he didn't have anything that I could buy & wear before considering a bespoke order.

Looking forward to hearing about your hats.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
When I inquired with Covi by phone she said all emails first run thru Chandler, then he usually passes them to her to reply. It took at least a couple wks but a reply finally came from Chandler saying they would be happy to take my order to make but had nothing on the rack in my size. Since he & I wear the same size I was somewhat disappointed that he didn't have anything that I could buy & wear before considering a bespoke order.

Looking forward to hearing about your hats.
That's frustrating. Chandler is a very personable chap, but he is hard to reach. I have called during business hours a couple of times and he picked right up. But they certainly could do better returning calls and emails.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Tatton Baird in Moss & chocolate. 6" open crown 3 3/8 brim. Workmanship is superb.
20191215_141527-1008x756.jpg
20191215_141612-1008x756.jpg
20191215_141009-1008x1344.jpg
20191215_140948-1008x1344.jpg
20191215_143010-1008x756.jpg
20191215_141154-1008x756.jpg
20191215_143504-1008x1636.jpg
20191215_141633-756x1008.jpg
20191215_142353-1008x1344.jpg

You’re going to get me in trouble with the wife, Ken. Now I’m thinking I need a Tatton Baird. Your hats looks just about perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
You’re going to get me in trouble with the wife, Ken. Now I’m thinking I need a Tatton Baird. Your hats looks just about perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Haahaahaa, just blame me, she'll understand. ;) Be warned, while his hats are awesome the communication process needs some work, he is slow to answering email and difficult to reach via phone. I actually ordered 2 hats, while this Moss was perfect the other Pecan has to go back, he may have mixed it up with someone else's order, it was too small and didn't have the kettle curl I wanted.

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Haahaahaa, just blame me, she'll understand. ;) Be warned, while his hats are awesome the communication process needs some work, he is slow to answering email and difficult to reach via phone. I actually ordered 2 hats, while this Moss was perfect the other Pecan has to go back, he may have mixed it up with someone else's order, it was too small and didn't have the kettle curl I wanted.
that's why I abandoned with him, he didn't answer early on. Same with Hornskov although I wish I continued because he has that FESPA felt! My next one will be with Hornskov or likely, Hufvud who has been very easy to talk to and responsive.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
wow. Any European felt hats? or Vintage Stetsons? I'm curious to know how it compares to those.
My 40's era Borsalinos and Stetsons are dress weight while the Tattons are western weight pure beaver so quite a bit stiffer. Needs steam to shape the Tatton. Now my Tatton dress weight Brown Country Gentlemen is a dress weight and is sublimely soft. Looks like an open road style. The dress weight beaver blend feels thicker and softer than my 40's era hats

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
My 40's era Borsalinos and Stetsons are dress weight while the Tattons are western weight pure beaver so quite a bit stiffer. Needs steam to shape the Tatton. Now my Tatton dress weight Brown Country Gentlemen is a dress weight and is sublimely soft. Looks like an open road style. The dress weight beaver blend feels thicker and softer than my 40's era hats
other than the thickness difference though, for me it's the tightness look and feel of the felt that make a difference for me. I don't want to see uneven patches nor feel it. I'm curious to know how the craftsmanship of Tatton is, because he's probably using Winchester

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Yes, he's using Winchester felts. My dress weight beaver tatton is perfect and no unevenness in the felt that I could find. The newest beaver just arrived yesterday and fit perfectly so I haven't yet tried to shape or steam it. All the seams appear spot on to me, even the butt ends of the brim binding snug up smoothly with no visible lumps. I may know more when I get a chance to shape it up some. I visited his shop in person and met with him one on one. Seems like the real deal. He showed me around his shop and explained the process to me. It's a step back in time inside his workshop. Hard to describe how I perceive the felt compared to the way you may perceive it. I'm albeit still a novice in custom hats. ;)

South9407

New in Town
After reading about Chandler and Tatton Baird hatters, I found out that there are only about 6 or so hatters in the U.S. This is hard to believe but I can see a bit of truth in it.
I have always been interested in this wonderfully skilled trade. I have started to source all the tools necessary to start making my own hats. The town I live in is beginning to tear down and rebuild an intertainment district as well as bringing in many new businesses and merchants. Pray for me as I begin this process. My little town has a great history of it's own. Maybe I could open up a hat shop in one of the old buildings downtown. Seeing as how Chandler faired in his old building in Utah, maybe I could do the same!

After reading about Chandler and Tatton Baird hatters, I found out that there are only about 6 or so hatters in the U.S. This is hard to believe but I can see a bit of truth in it.
I have always been interested in this wonderfully skilled trade. I have started to source all the tools necessary to start making my own hats. The town I live in is beginning to tear down and rebuild an intertainment district as well as bringing in many new businesses and merchants. Pray for me as I begin this process. My little town has a great history of it's own. Maybe I could open up a hat shop in one of the old buildings downtown. Seeing as how Chandler faired in his old building in Utah, maybe I could do the same!

There are a great many more hatters than 6 in the US. I have custom hats from 10 different craftsmen and that just scratches the surface. There are a great many more when you add up both Western and Fedora custom hat makers. Having said that there is always room for more. Many of the hatters that are established have wait lists of up to one year. Ijust placed an order and I with luck will receive it about this time next year. Some Western hatters have stopped taking orders as their back log is so long.

The good news is that as the popularity of on line shopping has grown exponentially the world can now be your market. My custom hatters are spread throughout North America and Canada and a bit of northern Europe.

You have come to the right place as this forum is deep in Hat knowledge and there are a many hat makers here, both professional and rank amateur. We all share a deep abiding love of all things hat related.

There are hundreds of custom hat makers in the US alone. Most are small local/regional shops that you’d never know were there without some leg work. The four custom hatters within 80 miles of me aren’t on this list, but this will give you an idea:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...elt-fedora-hatmakers-and-hatters.77957/page-7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana