Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taylor's Leatherwear police/motorcycle jacket 40 USA

Gamma68

One Too Many
Taylor's Leatherwear police/motorcycle jacket
Tagged size 40 (please see measurements)
USA-made in Tullahoma, TN

This jacket appears very similar to TL's current "New Orleans" model, priced at $309 retail. Made of cowhide with a permanent Thinsulate lining, 1 interior pocket, zippered sleeves and exterior pockets, large kidney pad, 4 equipment loops and a bi-swing back. Shoulder epaulettes and knit cuffs.

The leather is very supple with no dryness. The jacket is in overall excellent condition with minor wear at the cuff ends and some light scuffs at the back of the left sleeve (pictured). Stitching at the area where a badge attaches on the upper left chest is loose--an easy fix (pictured). All zippers and snaps are intact and work perfectly. The lining is in perfect shape, as are the knit cuffs. Clean and ready to wear.

Measurements (taken with jacket fully zipped and lying flat):
Pit to pit: 21.5"
Shoulders seam to seam: 19.5"
Length from bottom of collar: 25"
Length across bottom hem: 19"
Sleeve from shoulder seam: 26.5"

Asking $195 which includes CONUS shipping.

TL_1.JPG

TL_2.JPG

TL_6.JPG

TL_7.jpg

TL_8.JPG

TL_9.JPG

TL_010.JPG

TL_012.JPG

TL_013.JPG

TL_3.JPG

TL_4.JPG

TL_5.JPG

TPD166

One Too Many
My first leather police jacket was from Taylor's back in he early '80s and very similar to this one. They make great jackets and that's an excellent price. Someone should grab this up - good luck.

racontour

New in Town
Aren't Taylor Leather police jackets imported from Pakistan?
If you see closely...
https://taylorsleatherwear.com/coll...whide-leather-vintage-style-motorcycle-jacket

I wanted to get a sterile Detroit Police style jacket From Detroit MI's own REED leather ware where they make them in Detroit MI USA with no badge holder but they kept asking for a government work order. I guess they do not make them for civilians

I looked to Taylor Leather and the tab says made in Pakistan

Claybertrand

One Too Many
If you see closely...
https://taylorsleatherwear.com/coll...whide-leather-vintage-style-motorcycle-jacket

I wanted to get a sterile Detroit Police style jacket From Detroit MI's own REED leather ware where they make them in Detroit MI USA with no badge holder but they kept asking for a government work order. I guess they do not make them for civilians

Website clearly states "imported to our strict specifications"
They USED to be Made In USA. They used to be called APPALACHIAN. As they moved more and more into official police uniform production, they outsourced overseas.

The uniform industry understandably does not hold the same romanticized sentiments toward production of leather goods as do high end civilian reproducers. Taylor isn't AERO, or FL or Eastman, or the Sheely Bros. or Thedi or Buzz Rickson or even our own emerging star @regius . These jackets are made to fit a budget and to perform functions germane to the police profession. Now Johnson Leathers I believe does both civilian jackets and some moto cop jackets. But I don't think Taylor does civi jackets anymore. I have a Taylor that is maybe 20 years old that is NOT a cop jacket but is a really heavy A-2 style that was made in the US. That said, the leather quality is extremely utilitarian and appears to not have been chosen for its aesthetics or its graining potential. These Taylor uniform jackets are I believe at a lower price point than most of the makers I referenced above.

In most cases as a civilian --- when you buy a cop jacket from a uniform company, its like buying a delivery van for an RV. You can make it work but that's just not what it's made for so YMMV.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
Taylor does have their jackets made in Pakistan. i'm a collector of military, motorcycle and police jackets and have about 6 Taylors. the ONLY difference from those made in the U.S. and those from Pakistan is the thickness of the leather...the current Pakistan made jackets are thicker cowhide.

i have multiple versions of several models so i know of where i speak. i've a U.S. made LAPD from the 1990s and a 90s U.S. made Cleveland. for both of these i have the same current Pakistan made versions. the ONLY difference is in the leather, which in the current Pakistan versions is much thicker and would wear more robustly over time. the older versions have excellent leather but it is thinner and more flexible, so would likely not hold up as well under extreme use...perhaps why the change was made.

but i'll emphasize again, other than the thickness of the leather, the quality is the same from both time periods. which is a compliment to the past as well as the present since these are among my very best quality jackets in every respect. i know U.S. made is a pride thing, and i agree with that sentiment being an American, but any difference in quality with Taylor jackets simply does not exist. to be perfectly honest some of my U.S. required contract made military issue pieces do not meet the build quality of the Taylor Pakistan jackets (or older U.S. made for that matter). but i attribute that to the lower cosmetic standards under a military contract rather than any difference between U.S. and Pakistani made.
If you see closely...

Biff42

One of the Regulars
Taylor does have their jackets made in Pakistan. i'm a collector of military, motorcycle and police jackets and have about 6 Taylors. the ONLY difference from those made in the U.S. and those from Pakistan is the thickness of the leather...the current Pakistan made jackets are thicker cowhide.

i have multiple versions of several models so i know of where i speak. i've a U.S. made LAPD from the 1990s and a 90s U.S. made Cleveland. for both of these i have the same current Pakistan made versions. the ONLY difference is in the leather, which in the current Pakistan versions is much thicker and would wear more robustly over time. the older versions have excellent leather but it is thinner and more flexible, so would likely not hold up as well under extreme use...perhaps why the change was made.

but i'll emphasize again, other than the thickness of the leather, the quality is the same from both time periods. which is a compliment to the past as well as the present since these are among my very best quality jackets in every respect. i know U.S. made is a pride thing, and i agree with that sentiment being an American, but any difference in quality with Taylor jackets simply does not exist. to be perfectly honest some of my U.S. required contract made military issue pieces do not meet the build quality of the Taylor Pakistan jackets (or older U.S. made for that matter). but i attribute that to the lower cosmetic standards under a military contract rather than any difference between U.S. and Pakistani made.
I picked up an MIUSA New Orleans style Taylors for $40 recently and it's light relative to my comp weight Vanson's and allows the wearer to move easily. It's a utilitarian piece of equipment and not half bad IMO. Especially for people on a limited budget who want a cool-looking jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran