Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tear-Jerker Flicks

LadyStardust

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
... the last scene in The Land Before Time, anything that involves families or friends either losing or reuniting with each other....

:eek:

:) :) :) :)

Aahh, you're one after my own! Land Before Time is the one that devastates me actually more than almost any other movie. Not just the last scene, but I'm teary eyed throughout. And when his mom dies! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I usually end up having to pause the movie the movie because I cry so much at that alone. And when he sees her shadow on the mountain, but it's really his own. Such a well done movie, it's a shame the name was ruined by 10 billion mediocre sequels. :(

Shearer

Practically Family
Mojito said:
Michael Collins - "'Why hide, Joe?' he'd say, 'When that's what they expect.' But he never did what anyone expected..."

Good one, Mojito. The end of that movie always gets me. I hate the fact that Julia Roberts plays Kitty, but the whole end - from the part where the music starts in with "She Moved Through the Fair" to the real footage of the funeral procession - very sad.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Such good movies that would make me sob!!

Thank you Marc, I was trying to think of the name of that one.

And I cannot bring myself to watch The Green Mile again. I just can't.

Has anyone mentioned How Green Was My Valley??

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I do apologize for yet again including a movie that is not Golden Years in here but "Love Story" (1969) with Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal, that movie really set the bar for romantic tearjerkers of all time. :cry: :cry:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
HadleyH said:
I do apologize for yet again including a movie that is not Golden Years in here but "Love Story" (1969) with Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal, that movie really set the bar for romantic tearjerkers of all time. :cry: :cry:
You know, most classics don't get me crying at all! My list of tear jerkers is basically all modern films as well...you're not alone!:)
'You've got mail'- Always at the end when Kathline Kelly meets Joe Fox at the park, and she starts crying...the tears start flowing...EVERY TIME, and I must have seen this movie, well, lets just say, A LOT!
'Dr. Zhivago' (the newer version with Kierra Knightly)- At the very end, I was literally bawling! :eek: I was SO glad that I was all by myself when I was watching that!

Mojito

One Too Many
Shearer said:
Good one, Mojito. The end of that movie always gets me. I hate the fact that Julia Roberts plays Kitty, but the whole end - from the part where the music starts in with "She Moved Through the Fair" to the real footage of the funeral procession - very sad.
Absolutely, Shearer! I have one friend who vows she sat there the entire flick muttering under her breath "No one...NO ONE....told me that Julia Roberts was in this movie".

A difficult role to play, too. I must admit that, having read the published correspondence between Kiernan and Collins and descriptions of her both in biographical accounts of Collins' life and mentions in the British and Irish press of 1921/22, I find it very difficult to be drawn to her as a character. She obviously had tremendous personal charm - suggested by the fact that two extraordinary individuals, Collins and Harry Boland, both loved her - but it doesn't really translate onto paper. There were so many remarkable women he worked with in the war - Nancy O'Brien, for example, and Sinead Mason. But I suppose the fact that Kiernan was peripheral to his intelligence activites might have been part of her charm.

I love She Moved Through the Fair - one of my favourite traditional ballads. I've been to the site of the ambush in B?©al na mBl?°th - a lovely, if rather haunting, location.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Another odd one that gets me every time is near the end of 'Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire'. The part where Harry comes back from the graveyard with Diggory's body, and the way he's he clutching the body and the anguish in his cries hit me every time. Daniel Radcliff nailed that one for sure. Even that scene in the book is very effective.

Also the other one that nails me is '8 Seconds'. When Lane Frost's father starts crying over his sons loss in private when he knows no one is looking, it was just as effective a scene in the book as it was in the movie. Total tear-jerker.

Have you ever had that effect with a book you've read?

Cheers!

Dan

Rafter

Suspended
HadleyH said:

Have to agree with you Hadley on your choice!

"Love knows not its own depth, until the hour of separation."
The sentimentality of "Love Story" ("What can you say about a 25-year-old girl who died?") is a welcome retreat to the past. I like this rather corny "chick flick" which has a very 70's movie feel.

To tell you the truth I like any film that Ali McGraw was in, including "The Getaway" and "Goodbye Columbus". I even liked her in the TV mini-series, "The Winds Of War". When a Nazi officer demanded her name, she responsed by saying, Mona Lisa!

I've seen "Love Story" countless times. More times, than I want to admit. And every time I watch it, it moves me to "gulp", tears. To experience a love so true and so deep is a miracle, and to lose it... it's beyond me.

The love story between rich Harvard hockey-player Ryan O'Neal and smart-mouthed Radcliffe gal Ali McGraw is one of those classic romances on film. These two star-crossed lovers who are from the opposite ends of the socio-economic ladder overcome all obstacles to make their love work. The only thing going for them was their love and devotion to each other. And just when things were finally looking up... tragedy strikes. It reminds us how short life is and how important the little things are.

The book written by Eric Segal is even more moving but to see the movie, is just as a great experience. It's not just a "tearjerker"! It's not just a "chick flick". It's truly a 70's masterpiece!
"Love means never having to say you're sorry!"

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
More recently, Cinderella Man. I may have cried 4 or 5 different times during the movie.

BUT, made for tv movie The Christmas Shoes made me cry until my eyes were almost swollen shut the next morning. Seriously, the saddest movie, ever.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Old Yeller - Yes! Read the book at age 10, cried! Saw the film when it first came out, (there were people lined up around the block in Manhattan as I recall) and cried!
How Green Was My Valley - when Roddy McDowell comes up out of the mine with his (SPOILER!) dead father! Quiver, shudder, sob!
Has anyone mentioned South Pacific? When he shows up at the end, like Mark C, I go totally metrosexual.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm surprised no-one mentioned this one

1939's On Borrowed Time. Lionel Barrymore plays a man who, with the help of his grand-son, traps death up in a tree. It is very funny at times but you will cry by the end.
I am a softy though, I cried during a Dabney Coleman/ Matt Frewer movie.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Haversack

One Too Many
The final scene in _Oh What A Lovely War_ where all the men of the Smith family are relaxing in the sunshine on the grass unseen by the women of the Smith family who are pic-nicking next to them. The camera slowly pans back and they all gradually disappear amidst the 22,000 white crosses.

Haversack.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Slightly off track here....

There's that scene from Sleepless In Seattle making fun of tear jerkers. Lifted from IMDb:

Sam Baldwin: Although I cried at the end of "the Dirty Dozen."
Greg: Who didn't?
Sam Baldwin: Jim Brown was throwing these hand grenades down these airshafts. And Richard Jaeckel and Lee Marvin
[Begins to cry]
Sam Baldwin: were sitting on top of this armored personnel carrier, dressed up like Nazis...
Greg: [Crying too] Stop, stop!
Sam Baldwin: And Trini Lopez...
Greg: Yes, Trini Lopez!
Sam Baldwin: He busted his neck while they were parachuting down behind the Nazi lines...
Greg: Stop.
Sam Baldwin: And Richard Jaeckel - at the beginning he had on this shiny helmet...
Greg: [Crying harder] Please no more. Oh God! I loved that movie.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
Just thinking about the ending of FIELD OF DREAMS gets the waterworks started with me.

The only other movies where it's socially acceptable for a guy to cry: PRIDE OF THE YANKEES and BRIAN'S SONG.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The end of Truly Madly Deeply, with Alan Rickman watching Juliet Stevenson leave.

I’m another one who cried at Titanic despite that film having one of the worst scripts ever written; the scenes everyone else mentioned but especially the last scene where Rose walks in and all the dead are assembled in the main stairwell.

I’ve mentioned it before but the end of the 50s remake of Imitation of Life where Mahalia Jackson sings at the mother’s funeral—forget it, I’m gone.

The last scene of City Lights kills me no matter how often I see it—Chaplin’s face is just amazing.

East of Eden is very hard for me to watch—the first scene of Dean with his mother particularly.

An early Montgomery Clift movie called The Search makes me tear up, he’s lovely in it.

The Best Years of Our Lives, particularly when Harold first gets home.

The last scene of Brokeback Mountain with the shirts

It’s a Wonderful Life—that first scene with Mr. Gower gets me every single time (and how many times have I seen that film?).

Ewan MacGregor sobbing over Nicole Kidman at the end of Moulin Rouge

So much of the 1950s remake of A Star is Born. Both Garland and Mason are so damn good in that.

Cary Grant in Penny Seranade

Movies I’ll never see again

I saw Glory when it came out in the theaters and sobbed straight through the last 30 minutes.

I saw The Color Purple when it came out in theaters and sobbed pretty much straight through.

Dumbo. Oh, merciful heavens, Dumbo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner