Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about Brooks Brothers

MattJH

One Too Many
All I really know is that they're the original men's clothier, they're associated with preppies and golfers, and they're very expensive. And, despite not being a preppy or a golfer, I love their stuff. I have a Brooks Brothers slim card case, aftershave, 1818 cologne, a brown blazer, a fedora made by Herbert Johnson, a pair of denim jeans, a t-shirt, four hat boxes, and all 40+ ties I own are Brooks Brothers. I bought none of this at retail cost, resorting mostly to consignment shops, eBay, Craigslist and the like. Truth be told, I simply can't justify their retail prices, but I love the fit of their clothing, the look of their accessories, and the fact that they've changed very little of their designs and patterns over the years; I'm a traditionalist, and this appeals to me. I also love their series of books on etiquette, manners, being a gentleman, etc., although I own none of them yet.

But the thing is, I don't know much about the company other than what I read on Wikipedia. Are they top-quality? What do you associate them with? When you hear that a man is brand-loyal to Brooks Brothers, what does tell you about the man? I know I love their product, but I know nothing about how they are viewed.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A google search of the Fedora Lounge (see the sticky in the observation bar) should turn up quite a few posts on BB. :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt this may be a bit more enlightening....

Retail Brand Alliance Company Description

Retail Brand Alliance (RBA) is completely allied behinds its chief asset, the Brooks Brothers business. Formed in 2001 as a holding company, RBA acquired the 190-year old Brooks Brothers chain that year from UK department store operator Marks and Spencer for about $225 million. It set about returning America's oldest clothing brand to its classic roots and expanding the chain internationally. The company has 160 US stores and about 130 abroad. It also has seven Country Club branded shops which feature a stately but more sporty line of apparel. President and CEO Claudio Del Vecchio owns RBA, which he acquired from his father's company, Luxottica Group.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I think this is the only one I have ever been to:
http://www.exclusivelondon.co.uk/LondonLifeStyle/LifeStyleLDC.aspx?id=6034

I used to work across the road, even went to a Whisky Tasting there once. One of the senior Tailors there, Anthony I think, had a great knowledge and a fondness for three pieces.

He had an article in the WSJ Europe about the impact of the Credit Crunch and striped ties in the city.

Doublegun

Practically Family
It has been my experience that the quality is above average, but also a little overpriced. I would probably shop there more if the staff at the BB store at Somerset Mall in Troy, MI was not made up of the possibly the largest collection of arrogent commission based sales people I have ever seen in a retail establishment. They are just plain RUDE and I avoid shopping there unless I receive a BB item as a gift. In spite of the condition of the economy, the demise of the Big-3 (we are in Detroit) and competion from the web, several of the sales staff have no problem dismissing customers as beneath the status of Brooks Brothers and will actually walk away from prospective customers.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
BB

Marc Chevalier said:
Brooks Brothers is talked about *ad nauseum* in the "trad" section of the Ask Andy About Clothes online forum. Check it out ...

Mark is correct follow the link they NEVER stop talking about BB @ Andy's! Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80