Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me what you would like to see new in hat linings!!!

hatlinerman

Vendor
Hatlinerman here!!

Carrying on the heritage of 80 years in the making of hat linings, I have always endeavored on my own to bring to the industry new and fresh ideas. Now, with the realization of the Fedora Lounge, I thought it a wonderful idea to reach out directly to the wearers of hats for their ideas.

Feel free to let me know what you like about hat linings, what you don't. What would you like to see in a lining as far as style, color.

Look forward to hearing from all.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to be able to purchase a hat liner that has the same graphics as the old one it's going to replace. That's one thing that bothers me about hat restoration - sweats and liners that dont have the name and/or logo on them. Of course, period-authentic fonts and graphics would be even better, but that might be asking too much.

Easy out & easy in. I frequently remove the liner during warmer months to make a hat cooler. I know there was once a way to button them in & out but with other advancements, seems like there would be another way to do this. Tucking behind the sweatband works okay but is not optimal.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
For me, the ideal hat liner won't sag, but removes easily for cleaning or for warmer weather. It would be richly colored, deep red, royal blue, emerald green, for example. Perhaps it could be ordered customized with the owners name in gold or silver. Also, I've heard that the plastic on the crown of a liner sticks to the heads of bald men causing discomfort. What if this plastic were optional for those who want or need it? I don't know how practical any of this would be, but I hope it helps.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Subvet642 said:
. . . Also, I've heard that the plastic on the crown of a liner sticks to the heads of bald men causing discomfort. What if this plastic were optional for those who want or need it? I don't know how practical any of this would be, but I hope it helps.

Yeah, see, one of my old Dobbs' liners has that plastic covering that is cracked and hanging to the point of scratching the top of my head when I wear the hat. Thats what prompted me to respond the way I did above. Would cutting that plastic as completely out as possible be a problem? Would the liner sag and lay on my head? Maybe a spot of double sided tape would fix that?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
If you don't want to remove the entire liner just remove the plastic part. I've done it on a couple hats and it came out easily.

My method has been to hold the liner securely near the liner/plastic interface and slowly tear out the plastic section with a shearing motion along the seam.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Steson Challenger.....

I think we need to see more liners like this one......:D

StetsonChallenger002.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Yep

That Stetson lining is nice. I don't think I want to see anything specific in a liner, just a level of craftsmanship that says someone gave a damn how the inside of my hat looks. This Stetson Tehachapi Loop (picture from Aaron's Hats) is really nice also - it looks like someone put some thought into the sweatband, liner color and spiral piping combination:

TF53103820.TCHP-4.jpg

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
I'd like to be able to purchase a hat liner that has the same graphics as the old one it's going to replace. That's one thing that bothers me about hat restoration - sweats and liners that dont have the name and/or logo on them. Of course, period-authentic fonts and graphics would be even better, but that might be asking too much.

Reproducing old style hat linings would be awesome. It would give the hats that authentic touch on the inside which I think alot of restorations lack due to obvious reasons.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The problem with reproducing old linings is that only HATCO has the rights to make them for most of the brands you'd need, and they would be nowhere near the same quality as in the old days, because the old methods are too expensive anymore.

That, and there are too many variant styles to consider for each brand.

Brad

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
If you don't want to remove the entire liner just remove the plastic part. I've done it on a couple hats and it came out easily.

My method has been to hold the liner securely near the liner/plastic interface and slowly tear out the plastic section with a shearing motion along the seam.

And it doesnt damage the seam?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
scottyrocks said:
And it doesnt damage the seam?

It depends. I have had the same problem you described. With mine, when the 'plastic' (could be celluloid or something else) is so brittle that it's crumbling, then it gives up easily when you pull it out of its seam, leaving the stitch work just fine and the cloth liner still secured together.

It's possible that the clear material on your hat might still have enough fight in it to overly stress the seam work if you just try to tear it out. When that is the case in one of my hats, I carefully use an X-Acto knife with a new #11 blade to excise the thing near the seam. Care must be taken not to cut through the clear material and into the satin. I kind of start a pilot hole and then turn the blade edge up and slice around in that fashion trying to keep some space between the clear material and the satin.

One way or the other, I'd get rid of it rather than try to use tape which will likely become a gummy mess with time and wear.

G'luck!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
It depends. I have had the same problem you described. With mine, when the 'plastic' (could be celluloid or something else) is so brittle that it's crumbling, then it gives up easily when you pull it out of its seam, leaving the stitch work just fine and the cloth liner still secured together.

It's possible that the clear material on your hat might still have enough fight in it to overly stress the seam work if you just try to tear it out. When that is the case in one of my hats, I carefully use an X-Acto knife with a new #11 blade to excise the thing near the seam. Care must be taken not to cut through the clear material and into the satin. I kind of start a pilot hole and then turn the blade edge up and slice around in that fashion trying to keep some space between the clear material and the satin.

One way or the other, I'd get rid of it rather than try to use tape which will likely become a gummy mess with time and wear.

G'luck!

Okay, thanks, Gene, for the mini-primer on the cutting. BTW, the tape I referred to is for between the liner and the hat to keep the liner from falling after the celluloid is removed.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd like to see natural colored silk linings, like the ones
used in older Borsalinos. They're durable, breathe, and
look timeless. I can probably find pictures if necessary.

I'd like to join the chorus in saying I don't want to see
plastic at the top of any more hat linings.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
scottyrocks said:
Okay, thanks, Gene, for the mini-primer on the cutting. BTW, the tape I referred to is for between the liner and the hat to keep the liner from falling after the celluloid is removed.

It's just me, but I'd be concerned about the gummy adhesive reacting/absorbing into the felt and the satin over time and temperature swings.

I used spray starch once for a sagging liner. Blasted a light amount into the liner while still in the hat, then quickly used a hairdryer on a hot setting to blow the liner into the crown of the hat while setting the starch. Worked wonders. The liner appears totally natural but it gave it enough body so it stays up inside the crown now.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
hatlinerman said:
What would you like to see in a lining as far as style, color.
First, I want a liner that just screams class. When I see liners in some vintage Homburgs and Derbies I am (you'll pardon the pun) bowled over. Second, as has been mentioned color. A pristine white or cream is fine, but how about scarlet red, royal blue, or lavender?

web.jpg

3442654516_970fc95f79_b.jpg

DSC06004.jpg

3242231360_61fbbda935.jpg

3241544407_150334acbb.jpg

Subvet642

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
I used spray starch once for a sagging liner. Blasted a light amount into the liner while still in the hat, then quickly used a hairdryer on a hot setting to blow the liner into the crown of the hat while setting the starch. Worked wonders. The liner appears totally natural but it gave it enough body so it stays up inside the crown now.

That's brilliant! :eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you can't achieve the deep coloring that's common to old logos, don't make color logos. Stetson's modern logos look very cheap. Here's an example.
251500682_tp.jpg

To me, less is more in a modern liner. I'd like to see one made in a vintage style, but I realize that wouldn't be cost effective. Given that, I think Art's signature liner is about as classy as it gets.

I'm also a fan of patch liners.
animator said:

jpbales said:

Ande1964

Practically Family
Patch Liners

Can anyone tell me how patch liners are attached? It has to be glue of some sort, right?

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner