Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Temporary Time Travel

Story

I'll Lock Up
You folks realize, that this is the point where the Rod Steiger voice says "Some doors are better left closed"? ;)

Although old things do tend to have their own MoJo, good or bad.

From Webster's -

Pronunciation: 'mO-(")jO
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural mojoes or mojos
Etymology: probably of African origin; akin to Fulani moco'o medicine man
: a magic spell, hex, or charm; broadly : magical power

Caledonia

Practically Family
I have a slightly different slant on the photographs, but similar too. I've seen loads of websites and shops selling photographs, and I'm really uncomfortable with buying them. It's as if I'm exploiting the personal memories that these must have been. Sometimes a particular photograph almost recoils me (and I mean that as it sounds). On other times, I feel almost drawn to an image, not just aesthetically drawn, but as if the image is drawing me. That's not a lead in to a spooky movie! :rolleyes: I'm almost with those people who think that a photograph steals your soul. I hate having my photograph taken, and it's not just because I think I look awful, there's something else about where that photo can go, who can see it, I'm not making myself clear I know. But photos are something I don't really deal in. Bizarrely, really personal items like clothing, footwear etc, don't bother me. And I believe reincarnation probably works. Maybe that's got something to do with it. [huh]

Story

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
On other times, I feel almost drawn to an image, not just aesthetically drawn, but as if the image is drawing me. That's not a lead in to a spooky movie! :rolleyes: I'm almost with those people who think that a photograph steals your soul. I hate having my photograph taken, and it's not just because I think I look awful, there's something else about where that photo can go, who can see it, I'm not making myself clear I know. But photos are something I don't really deal in. [huh]

Sit down Sit down
as we relive our lives in what we tell you

Images of sorrow, pictures of delight
things that go to make up a life
endless days of summer longer nights of gloom
waiting for the morning light
scenes of unimportance, photos in a frame
things that go to make up a life

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
I have a slightly different slant on the photographs, but similar too. I've seen loads of websites and shops selling photographs, and I'm really uncomfortable with buying them. It's as if I'm exploiting the personal memories that these must have been. Sometimes a particular photograph almost recoils me (and I mean that as it sounds). On other times, I feel almost drawn to an image, not just aesthetically drawn, but as if the image is drawing me. That's not a lead in to a spooky movie! :rolleyes: I'm almost with those people who think that a photograph steals your soul. I hate having my photograph taken, and it's not just because I think I look awful, there's something else about where that photo can go, who can see it, I'm not making myself clear I know. But photos are something I don't really deal in. Bizarrely, really personal items like clothing, footwear etc, don't bother me. And I believe reincarnation probably works. Maybe that's got something to do with it. [huh]

I think I know exactly how you feel. I am drawn to those old photos at the antique stores too, but can never bring myself to buy them! I feel as if it's like I'm intruding into someone elses life somehow. Intruding into someone's personal space. :( :eek:
I'm also not so keen on having my picture taken either. It is kinda hard to explain I know,.... sort of like sharing too much personal information with a stranger maybe? [huh]

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
magneto said:
Hi Maj. Nick,
I read about that too...there is a scholarly article about it here which discusses the experiment:

http://members01.chello.se/christer.hamp/phono/archaeo/archaeo.html

Cool! Thanks, Magneto. :) I hope that the technology needed to extract sounds from ancient artifacts is some day perfected. Would be awesome to say the least to hear sounds and voices from thousands of years ago!
It was particularly fascinating to me to see that they can also find sounds that were inadvertantly recorded in paintings. I can just imagine what we could hear if we could lift those sounds out of paintings.
If someone succeeds and gathers sound from anything I have painted some day, they will hear Beethoven's 9th symphony quite a lot. lol :rolleyes:

Caledonia

Practically Family
Story: That is beautiful. Need some pondering, which this late hour is perfect for. :)

Maj Nick: It is inexpicable that feeling, yes? And yet far from imponderable, and imponderableness is what tiggers do best. Where's my jimjams. Night night.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I can completely relate to what you're saying in this thread.

As someone who settles estates for a living, there are two distinct unfortunate issues that arise in these situations:

First, strange as it may seem, there are many people who die with no immediate family. Perhaps there is a technical next-of-kin but they are sometimes geographically far removed, incompetent, emotionally distant, or any number of other possibilities. Thus ensues a sad scenario - all the "stuff" of the deceased must be disposed of because there is no one to take it. It needs to be converted to cash to dispose of as the deceased directed. Thus you see the auction or estate sale with the personal memorabilia strewn about the house or on tables... the pictures, clippings, diaries, etc. It's very sad. I always try my best to get these "intimate items" into the hands of some family member (or even a close friend) who cares. They have little or no intrinsic value but I can't stand to see them thrown out. I've had to watch ancient family bibles sold at auction, jewelry pawed through and sold as if they were trinkets, family silver thrown in boxes and sold in lots.

The second scenario is even sadder and actually just infuriates me. This is the situation where there is obvious next of kin, as in a child or children... even a spouse. In more cases than you would imagine - many of them often don't give a damn about about "Grandma's junk." Things they should clearly care about (in my opinion) are often cast aside and sold or given away like so much trash. It's not my role to argue but I have on many occasions expressed my opinion about keeping something I think they will one day regret having discarded. I have to realize that I can't makepeople care about the past but I can sure as hell say what I think!

I have hundreds of stories on this subject. Do old things have karma? You bet they do!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
A while back, we went into an abandoned farmhouse on a friend's property. In the country, these are pretty common. The house still contained furniture, dishes, etc., scattered around. We found an old wooden cover photo album containing tons of photos from the 1910s up through probably the very early 1950s. Servicemen, mementos obviously sent home from Europe, pictures of families and children, of Christmases long since past... and it really bothered me to know that someone had just abandoned this album. It must have meant a great deal to someone once, but now it just sat in the middle of a house with broken-out windows. We took the album home.

I guess part of me feels it is kind of my "duty" to rescue those abandoned memories.

Lots of abandoned homes in the country here too. I have also explored one or two, sort of like an archeaological experience.
After reading your post, I have come to the conclusion that there is some sort of unwritten code of respect for the very personal belongings of the people that used to live in these abandoned homes. A feeling that we all possess. It's as if all people just know that it is somehow wrong to harm those memories in any way. Maybe there are only a select few, such as yourself, that are responsible enough, and who care enough to preserve those things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart