Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

DesertDan

One Too Many
Goldbricking/Goldbricker - a person who loiters on company time
Switchboard & Switchboard operator
"On the level" = Telling the truth without exaggeration.
Top flight or Top shelf - to indicate a product or service of impeccable quality
"The dope" = information

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I still use "on the level".

When's the last time you and your friend/brother/sister broke something while playing, and had to "cheese it" before anybody caught you?

I still use "top shelf" all the time. I always figured it was a reference to where the expensive liquor was.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I haven't heard anyone use the term "make book" in years. I heard it a lot in old movies and radio-shows. Based on context, I assume it means to make a certainty about something. As in, you don't send a book to press and print, until EVERYTHING has been checked and certified, and there won't be any mistakes.

"Don, are you gonna be at Susan's party tonight?"
"Sure".
"You promised!"
"You can make book on it!"
"Sure Don, sure..."

I always thought it meant a sure bet, from book as in bookie - the person who runs the gambling operation.
Just throwin that out there.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I haven't heard anyone use the term "make book"

In the US, a person involved in taking illegal bets is called a "bookie" or "book maker", because he notes the wagers his customers place in his notebook. So, placing a bet is "making book". Another way of saying the same thing is "you can bet on it" with the unstated assumption is that the wager is sure to pay off.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
In the US, a person involved in taking illegal bets is called a "bookie" or "book maker", because he notes the wagers his customers place in his notebook. So, placing a bet is "making book". Another way of saying the same thing is "you can bet on it" with the unstated assumption is that the wager is sure to pay off.

Aah. Yeah that seems to make sense.

What the heck is "high cotton"? I've never heard that one!

When's the last time you heard anyone say "guts for garters"? And for that matter, what sort of garters? Sleeve-garters? Sock-garters? Hahaha.

EDIT

I just remembered that I have a book on my bookcase:

"As We Say in Our House" - A Book of Family Sayings, by Nigel Rees.

It's a book about the origins of a variety of colourful phrases. It's a fun read if anyone wants to look it up.

One of the more interesting ones I found was: "Good for the backs of waistcoats", meaning something ugly that was only good for lining waistcoats (since it would never be seen, even when it was used). Or more generally, something that should only be used in a place where nobody will notice it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari