Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Plumb tuckered out, plumb crazy, half a bubble off plumb.
Plumb means straight upright, as opposed to level, which is straight horizontal. Both plumb and level are as straight as you can get, hence the expression "on the level" or plumb crazy - as crazy as one can be.
4u7a6y8a.jpg

Half a bubble off either plumb or level is close to 45°, so that's reeeally off. Not upright or on the level.

Sorry, it's always been a pet peeve of mine when someone would put a level on some thing upright, like a wall, to check how "level" it is. If it were level it would be on the floor. Walls are plumb (or should be, at least).

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

When you are dealing with slang terms, they are not always spelled correctly. Plum Crazy, is spelled right in that context, but Marion Webster would not like it. As long as my pictures don't fall of the wall, I could care less about measurements. I never have lived in a Plumb, or Plum house! :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I thought of another one I have not heard in decades. I was watching Ask This Old House, they were talking about wheelbarrow and wheelbarrel, The former is the correct pronunciation. Then I remembered, when I was a kid, there were still thousands of people alive that were born in the 19th century, and I new several born as early as the 1870s. A lot of them called it a Wheel-Burro, after the trusty little pack animal. I don't know, but I always liked that name better, kind of fits, your own little pack animal, to haul big loads!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Just trying to help out. No critique intended. :beer:

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
I was just kidding, thats why I put the laughing face at the end. As James will tell you, I don't take much said personally on this sight. Except, when James calls me a Hippie!:cheers1:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Journey, have you noticed that in the last decade or so, life experiences, as reported by hacks, are now a journey, or a learning curve, or an uphill climb. Fanciful language, but not, how shall I put it? Up my street.

I too, hate the clocks going back and forth each year.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
When I was a kid I remember Yancy Derringer (Jock Mahoney) using calaboose for the city jail. Hoosgow is an other word for jail not used much except maybe by Gabby Hayes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner