Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

You could move a little bit east, to Arizona.
We actually considered that at one time (not because of DST) but, at the time, decided the timing wasn't right. Since then my wife has become the co-owner of a commercial heating and air conditioning company here, so it wouldn't happen until after she retires; even then, I think the summer heat would be too much for her.

I don't know where you get the idea I could be a Hippie!
Old-Hippie_zps9910839f.jpg

Don'tcha know that James sees a hippie under every rock. :D:p

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
"I Was a Teenaged Paperboy" (OK, it doesn't have the hair-raising thrill of "I Was a Teenaged Werewolf" or even the political titillation of "I Was a Communist for the FBI"), I delivered The Pittsburgh Press, an afternoon paper, now defunct, with a blue-collar readership. My father had delivered the same paper when he was a boy in the early 1930's.

After we set the clocks back in the fall, I at least can go to work in the daylight. I prefer that to going to work in the dark. Coming home is not as big a deal either way.
We ought to just leave it alone after the Fall too. I know I came home in the dark today. :eusa_doh: I went in the daylight but if you have to be at work around 6 in the morning it is Daaarrrrkkkk. :doh:

"Boarding House", and the derivative, "boarding house reach"

I had to look up "boarding house reach." Can't recall ever hearing it before. It has me thinking that there may have been the perception (if not quite the reality) of somewhat less genteel table manners among the boarding house set.

On this theme, it's been quite some time since I've heard "rooming house" or "apartment house." For the benefit of the younger among us, the difference between a rooming house and a boarding house is that the former provided a bedroom and the use of a usually communal bathroom. The latter supplied that along with a meal or two or three per day (the "board," which has an interesting etymology itself).

An apartment house was, in my experience, a structure that was once a large single-family residence that had been divided up into individual dwelling units -- with each unit complete with its own bathroom and kitchen. I had heard "apartment house" applied to structures that were originally built to contain multiple dwelling units, although I got the sense that that was stretching the common definition.

Last edited:
My grandmother used to use the phrase "boarding house reach" as well. She also used to say "apartment house", but then again we also had family who lived in a "trailer house";)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
There is a movie, "Battle Ground", which depicts a company of GIs trapped in Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. This was made in 1949, just a few years after the events portrayed, so the popular culture of the period was still current.

So, Van Johnson plays a guy who is consumed by the thought of food. At several points in the film, he sings part of a song that goes:
"There is a boarding house, far, far away
Where they serve ham and eggs three times a day.

Oh! how those boarders yell when they hear that dinner bell ..."

I don't think he ever gets any farther than that.

John J

Familiar Face
The word SAY "SAY" , "You fellas want to get a beer" "Say" "You girls look great" "Say" You kids stay out of trouble

"John"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner